Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2009, 11:34 AM

65 posts, read 188,453 times

Advertisements

Relocating to work in Brockton and need suggestions on nice areas to live, either in Brockton or nearby...single Thank you so much!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 02:30 PM

289 posts, read 1,261,882 times
I think anywhere except for Brockton is pretty nice. Can you provide any more specifics on what you're looking for?

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM

894 posts, read 1,546,812 times
There are sections of Brockton that seem fine. Cheap houses/rentals. Not so sure about the schools or resale which someday might be an issue for you.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:42 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Brockton has a reputation as a rough and tumble town. While there is a good deal of truth to the reputation, Brockton isn't all bad. There are plenty of safe, comfortable neighborhoods (mainly closer to the borders of town) that will offer places to live that are more affordable than neighboring communities. You can get a better value for your money in Brockton but you need to find the right neighborhood. Despite what some will tell you, finding a good neighborhood in Brockton is possible.

Schools in the smaller neighboring communities are better than they are in Brockton, so if a child is involved in your decision, that's something to consider.

That being said, if you can afford to live in a place like Easton, Mansfield, Raynham, Stoughton, Avon, etc., then you may want to do it. They tend to be safer overall, and are much more suburban (though many Brockton neighborhoods are very suburban).

If you could specify in a bit more detail what you're looking for (i.e. type of neighborhood, price range, type of home, distance to other amenities, etc), then some of us could make a bit more specific suggestions. good luck.

Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 PM

Hello Everyone!
Thank you for your thoughts. I am relocating from Illinois to the Brockton area in order to work at a local healthcare facility. I am a professional woman in her 40's and will be coming alone initially, husband to follow sometime in the future. I have stumbled upon information about the Quincy community and it sounds great. So, I am looking now in the Quincy area for a furnished one bedroom, efficiency or loft apartment. Not horribly expensive as we will still be running two households. Quincy, as far as I can tell is close to the ocean, is that correct? Prefer quiet areas. Plan on moving within the next month. Thank you for any suggestions you may have, Sincerely Debbie

Old 03-14-2009, 06:10 PM

12,548 posts, read 21,718,207 times
Quincy is a good choice. There are parts of Quincy that are "run down" but not terribly so. It's hardly impoverished. It's also a safe city, there aren't any areas that I can think of off the top of my head that I would say, "AVOID!"

It's on the water. It's not on the ocean technically, but it's on Massachusetts Bay which is simply an inlet. In Many ways, that's an advantage because if you end up with waterfront property you're less likely to be at risk from heavy surf and storms but you still have ocean access. There are many developments along the harbor that are quite nice. This: Marina Bay Luxury Waterfront Condos for Sale Quincy MA is one of many such developments.

Living in Quincy will also make it so you're "reverse commuting" (commuting in the opposite direction of Boston traffic) to/from Brockton which is a nice advantage to have.

craigslist should have a good deal of listings.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:21 PM

Thank you Irfox!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:03 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,154,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfargher View Post
Relocating to work in Brockton and need suggestions on nice areas to live, either in Brockton or nearby...single Thank you so much!!
As others have mentioned, Brockton isn't great. Look for something in nearby communities (Easton, Middleboro, Sharon)

Old 03-15-2009, 06:19 PM

Thank you Professor! I appreciate your response.

Old 03-15-2009, 11:16 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,628,819 times
west bridgewater, norton, braintree not Brockton!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts