U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2009, 09:32 AM

25 posts, read 93,988 times
Default book and magazine Donation

Where to donate used books (text books and novels) and magazines?

I called my local library, but they were not interested and told me to just recyle those old magazines. A friend of mine mentioned that Mass libraries have enough resources to buy new books and magazines so they don't appreciate donation. Is that true?

I don't have any problem with past issue magazines since I now recyle them. But how about used books?

P.S. I used to live in FL and CA where the local libraries gladly accept used books and magazines donations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:40 AM

2,312 posts, read 4,684,200 times
Libraries general don't want used book donations because one of the things they do is called "collection development," which means that they carefully plan which materials they want to add to their collections based on what fits their users' needs best.

Another thing they constantly do is shed books that are outdated, contain wrong information, or haven't circulated in a while. The collection has to be relevant, and there is a limited amount of shelf space.

The only kinds of libraries that will accept these kinds of donations are those with decimated budgets and empty shelf space that needs to be filled with something, anything, or those that will use the donated books to stock a used book sale to raise money to buy the materials they really need.

Maybe you could donate your books and magazines to a local hospital.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:43 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually thought about senior centers before.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM

4,044 posts, read 5,893,984 times
Our library has an outside collection bin for this organization Got Books? Donate Used Books. You can look up locations on their website.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM

Oh my, thanks so much. there is one drop-off location in my town.

Old 07-29-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 6,526 times
You should def donate to Senior Centers. They can use them for crafts and reading. Seniors would love them. I am currently looking for old magazines and books for the Senior Centers in Oklahoma.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:29 PM

68 posts, read 183,061 times
great ideas so far...another is try hospitals that treat cancer patients or patients on dialysis. These patients often get treatments that last for hours at a time. I had to receive treatment at Dana Farber recently and they have great volunteers that come around with a cart filled with books and magazines. I must have read fifteen books while there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: