Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 7,965 times

Advertisements

Hello. . .my husband and I have lived in TX almost our whole lives. It's hard to fathom a move to a place like Mass. because we've never had the opportunity to visit. However, we love the idea of being so close to other states (in TX you can drive for MILES in any direction and still be in TX!) and my husband's job is willing to relocate him to (Holliston?). . .everyone here says it's FAR too expensive to live anywhere up there and that we should just forget about it. . .(supportive, huh? ). . .but in any case, I guess I would just like to know what the cost of living is up that way. . .in general. . .obviously, housing is more expensive and probably gas prices too, but I guess I just need reassurance that we can make it work, you know? Anyone from there have encouraging thoughts on the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 10:23 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,744,265 times
The US Dept. of Agriculture (I believe) does a study on cost of living in different metro areas every year or two. Last year, Boston overtook San Francisco as the most expensive place in the nation. Their study showed you need $68,000 to cover basic necessities for a family of four. I don't know if you have children or not, but it generally takes 2 income-earners to support a family in this area, unless you moved here a long time ago when housing was cheaper.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:27 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,744,265 times
BTW, my wife and I were actually considering a move to the Plano, TX area a while back. We couldn't believe how cheap it was! A 20% downpayment on a home here could buy you a comparable brand new house there in cash! The median house prices don't tell the whole truth because the median house here is much smaller and older than the median house in TX.

One more thing though, don't let the high cost of living scare you away. It's always good to try out a new place because you don't know what you're missing until you see for yourself.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:36 AM

702 posts, read 3,003,421 times
Cost of housing is high, but no way near the median of San Francisco which is over $700,000, study or no study. The median in Massachusetts is in the 300,000 dollar range. Coming from Texas though, it will still come as a shock to you. You can definitely find things below $300,000 but it might be a condo or a tiny house in a less desireable town.

However, you do get a bonus, you'll be close to lots of things to see and do. You'll be close to the awesome beaches in Cape Cod, mountains of New Hampshire and Vermont. Also close to lots of cities, if you get tired of Boston. Welcome.

Old 03-27-2007, 11:21 AM

79 posts, read 394,838 times
Default Just pass thru

Do yourself a favor, and just drive through Mass. on your way to New Hampshire. Much better place to live.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:20 PM

9,894 posts, read 15,461,978 times
In Holliston, the cost for older 3 bedroom houses would start at about $300,000 and go up, depending on the neighborhood. In Massachusetts, we have high property taxes and also the cost of car insurance is unreal. On a positive note, the housing prices have been falling and there is a glut of homes for sale.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:02 PM

17 posts, read 110,004 times
I very much agree with "noodle", just drive through MA if you must...But I wouldnt stay here =( Its too expensive...and the people are snotty if your not posh like eveyone else. New Hampshire, and even Vermont are better places to live. I wouldnt ever recommend anyone to move here unless you already have a job making at least 60+ K a year and have saved enough money for rent, mortgage, taxes, more taxes, property taxes .... It all adds up very fast in this area. If you must move to MA, stay west of 495 and you may find a small tiny house with no land for 200k.

Old 03-27-2007, 03:41 PM

124 posts, read 902,410 times
Okay, the idea that you spend 200k for a tiny house with no land is an overstatement. In the most expensive towns, sure, but not in the Central Mass area, where you'll be looking if the job is in Holliston.

If the job is in Holliston, you would have some pretty affordable towns as options -- not affordable by Texas standards, but affordable given what you would be making here, versus there. Uxbridge, Milford, Mendon, and towns in South Central Mass are quite manageable on Mass salaries.

And if you have kids, the schools in Mass are by and large very good -- the schools here are generally stronger than elsewhere in the country. So although property taxes are high, there is a very good reason for that. Of course, if you have no kids and don't want kids, that is not much of a benefit.

If you make somewhere in the $60s, you will be comfortable, even with kids. If that's what you make and you want to buy, hopefully you will either come with equity in a current house you can sell in order to get a down payment, or if not, you can just be patient. It is doable.

(FYI -- if the job is in Holliston, do NOT take other posters' advice and live in NH: the commute would be horrendous, and you'd still have to pay Mass income tax, plus NH property tax.)

Also, one more FYI, I've lived here most of my life, and did not grow up in a "posh" family, and never felt people were snotty because of it, as another poster suggested. Please don't let comments like that scare you off. I grew up in a lower middle class family in a very affluent town, and I did not experience anything a couple of the posters here said.

Old 03-27-2007, 04:21 PM

702 posts, read 3,003,421 times
I agree with LovelyBoston. Please ignore the New Hampshire provincial boosterism, unless you prefer to live a more exurban existence with extra long commutes. Also, most of the comments about snooty people in Massachusetts are quite untrue, at least in my experience. Take it from me, I moved to Mass from Georgia.

I think you should see for yourselfwhat is around Holliston and the costs of living in the general vicinity before making the move. Ignore the general comments of everything being out of reach as the citys and towns of Massachusetts are incredibly diverse in terms of costs of living and what they offer. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:39 PM

2 posts, read 7,965 times
Thanks for all the replies, first of all!

Secondly, perhaps I should have been more clear in what I was asking. . .we aren't neccessarily planning on buying a home there (just yet). . .I was looking up apartments around that area and while it appears that one doesn't get as much square footage for the money as in TX, of the one's I liked, electric, water and heat are included in the monthly rent! I was overjoyed to see this. . .here (I'm not sure if the same is happening there) the cost of electricity is outrageous! So, I'd be happy not to have to worry about that.

Also, we do not have any children, yet. . .so, that isn't a problem either.
We do have cats, but I'm seeing that a lot of places are accepting of them.

I guess I am just afraid that we will get there only to find that what sounds like a great deal may prove too much for us to afford. . .then again, the best time to travel around is before there are any dependents in the picture, right?

Lisa**
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts