Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:05 PM

51 posts, read 250,916 times

Advertisements

Springfield is going through a gentrification phase, the city and state has spent tens of millions and will continue to do so in an effort to revitalize the city.
However mass as a whole is absoutly horrible state to move to. For one thing mass is the 5th slowest growing state in the country!; it's one of the only states where despite the country's growing population; residents are moving out.
This is due to several reasons. I can personally attest from personal experience and according to sociological studies, that new england is among the rudest, most introverted and least moral region in the US. People here are extremely rude,sullen, withdrawn and egositical. Also mass has one of the highest insurance rates in the country because it has one of the highest accident rates in the country.
I have no idea why would you want to move out of flordia, perhaps you live in a depressed region. I lived in saint petersburg and the city was great. If you have never visited new england be prepared for economcially depressed and ugly bulidings, most residental, industrial zones, et cetra are extremely old and dilipdated. It's visionary pollution. lol Also as you know, the winters here are extremely frigid and cold. During the winter people are even worst due to seasonal depression; essenitlaly you become forlorn and angry because there is absoutly nothing to do . You're stuck in your house.
When the summer finally arrives, it's rarely sunny. So it's difficult to enjoy unless you you're enamored by drab, sunless weather. You have to remember you're moving to among the least sunniest place in america.
And finally the economy; is actually among the richest in the country. Mass ranks 7th in the country. Yes our overall tax burdern is the 15th highest, howver the differenital is supplemented by the fact of higher wages. Espically compared to the region. Minimuim wage is among the highest and due to the fact that if you're in the lower brackets, whatever taxes you paid with the exception of FICA, is remebursed. And if you have a degree in biotech, comptuer science, a despositon for education or a penchant for scientfic innovation then mass is a great place-to make money-
Otherwise it's an absoutly horrible quality of living and if not deterred by my words, you will be by experience once you move here.

Old 05-26-2009, 09:35 PM

96 posts, read 454,071 times
Just to give you some reality from someone who actually lives in Springfield....I live in Springfield, I choose to live here, and I love living here. I've lived here several years, never have been a victim of crime, have great neighbors and love the neighborhood. I can afford to live in any of the suburbs, but I'll pass. Most are filled with overpriced, boring, plastic ranch houses where there is probably more drug activity happening than the cities.

Are there bad parts of Springfield? Absolutely - we're talking about a city of 150,000 people thats almost 40 square miles. But overwhelmingly there are great neighborhoods. I like to send people to this site: www.choosespringfieldmass.com

There are many people that have a vendetta against the city, because they gave up on it and left and are bitter. To make themselves feel better they now kick it at every opportunity. It's a tiresome game, but we have many many more residents that love living here and choose to live here.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 PM

25 posts, read 72,330 times
Default Decide for yourself

To the OP don't listen to WestMass79 *OR* me. Look up some statistics like crime, sex offenders, income levels, and foreclosures. Then go for a visit and decide for yourself.

I am guesing WestMass79 is a realtor desperately in need of new customers. Reality huh? I also lived there for four years. The fact that you have never been the victim of a crime is as meaningless as the fact that I was. What is meaningful is the fact that Springfield is ranked 40th worst in the country in 2008: New Crime Rating Springfield, MA 40th worst city in the country

It does have a few older gems (plenty of those in McKnight!) but, Springfield is filled with the same "boring, plastic ranch houses" you bash the suburbs for. I am not sure what differentiates Springfield from the suburbs other than a couple of skyscrapers and the higher crime. Where else have you lived? I have lived in 3 states and 8+ cities. It doesn't make me an expert, but I have lived other places that are much different as a comparison. To be clear I am no fan of any suburb. I don't like NEEDING a car to accomplish anything. I was pointing out the natural beauty of Western Mass. You recommend City of Homes | Choose Springfield, Massachusetts. What a great unbiased resource. The cities marketing webpage.

Having moved to several brand new areas I know the value of honest advice vs. someones hopes and dreams that they aren't living in one of the worst places their state has to offer. I have no "vendetta" against Springfield, but mama taught me to speak the truth. That being said I stand behind my statement, as do several posters since, that Springfield is a $hithole.

Last edited by arigold1975; 05-26-2009 at 10:49 PM..

Old 05-27-2009, 11:22 AM

That's a fabulous list. It shows Springfield is safer than places like Atlanta, Orlando, Tacoma, Indianapolis, and a bunch of others. It's a list that says cities have crime - what a breakthrough.

Get the common thread. They are all cities? ALL cities have crime, because cities have a lot of everything - people, land, good citizens, and jackasses.

I've lived in other states, other cities. Like I said, is there crime in Springfield? Yes.

But is Longmeadow or East Longmeadow any safer than East Forest Park or Sixteen Acres? You are kidding yourself if you think so. The parts of the city that are pushing crime stats up are closer to Longmeadow than they are Sixteen Acres.

The best part of this is people actually get angry at you when you post that you like living in Springfield. They get furious. How dare you like where you live!!!!!

Old 05-27-2009, 11:46 AM

Who cares what is worse? That is a list of the dumpiest places in the country. 40th is still far down the list and is about the worst that Mass has to offer. Congratulations on being first place loser.

You are allowed to like where you live, but not to try and paint it as all sunshine and butterflies for someone who is out of state. Springfield would not make my list of places to relocate to in Massachusetts, let alone the country. We all know that realtors are hurting these days and they have to try to paint a pretty picture to drum up some business. I wonder how many people would back up WestMass79 that Springfield is great?

You also didn't explain why the "city" of Springfield is better than the "boring, plastic ranch houses" suburbs. I find Springfield to be more like a sprawling suburb with the constant driving to accomplish anything.

Old 05-27-2009, 03:30 PM

actually ari, the website I posted has all sorts of people - like me - that aren't realtors posting how they like living in Springfield. Yeah, shocking I know! Realtors have it tough everywhere now, glad I'm not one or I'd be spending more time here blathering on.

I guess it comes down to if you like living in cities or you like living in suburbs. I like cities. You like suburbs. It's ok, we can like different things. Springfield WOULD make my list of places to relocate in Mass, and its OK for me to have that opinion, just like its OK for you to have your opinion. I like that I bought a 2500 square foot historic home that is built far better than any crap in a subdivision. You may like ranch's and capes that are priced higher than my home and built far poorer. You may like living in a subdivision off of some exit on the highway behind an Applebee's....it's just not what I'm into. Nothing wrong with living like that either. It's all a matter of taste, but take it down a notch - saying something positive about Springfield isn't a sin.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:19 PM

82 posts, read 317,763 times
I went to grad school at Springfield College which I enjoyed. However, I had my car broken into, the window broken, my stereo ripped off and not even a good one. I had difficulty in getting a part-time job. I would apply to other law schools. I used to use the law library at the school you're going to go to and it wasn't that great. If I were you, I'd try for a school that is in a little bigger city but not so many overwhemingly big, like schools in Nashville, Richmond, the Raleigh area, etc. That would make more sense. You wouldn't have so much culture shock and probably could work.

Old 05-27-2009, 04:22 PM

WestMass79 You have me wrong. I like walkable cities with subways. To me most of Springfield is suburbs. I avoid eating at those chain restaurants like Applebees. Before somebody accuses me of being an "elitist" I will gladly eat at a mom & pop diner that usually costs the same or less than said fast food joint disguised as a restaurant. Of all the places I have lived Springfield was my least favorite but a few good things I remember about Springfield:
Going downtown when it was on the way up and the few new places were packed before it became saturated
Rollerblading through Forest Park.
Watching Fireworks from the roof. I could see Springfield, plus a couple of the surrounding towns.
Typical Sicilian Restaurant. One of the best Italian joints I have ever been to.
Not far to Northampton for walking around downtown. hahahaha

Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 46,348 times
Excuse me, but if I may I would like to interrupt those of you that are ignorant and uneducated and put in some decent facts about Springfield. Springfield is first off...not a "$hithole"...as you put it...and you think your better then people that live in Springfield, my god look at your mouth...
The unemployment rate is NOT 10%, more around 7 or 8% and with the way the country is right now that is not surprising at all. Now, Springfield is not Longmeadow by a long shot, but is not meant to be. What most people do not get is that Springfield is a CITY, not a town like Northampton or Amherst. And for a CITY it’s ok. No, it’s not amazing, but it does have some amazing cultural aspects for those of us that are educated and can appreciate such things. The most prominent being the architecture. Springfield is said to be only second to Boston in terms of its architecture when it comes to Massachusetts. It has two historic neighborhoods, both on the national historical register, McKnight and Forest Park. These two neighborhoods are AMAZING. From Victorian to Greek revival the houses are amazing and many of been restored in the last few years. As for police and city government, it’s been cleaned up a lot in the last few years. Former Mayor Charles Ryan did a lot to clean up the Albano mess-ups and now we Sarno, he is a decent guy. The new police commissioner is also very dedicated and honest. So, if you are looking at Springfield, you have a lot of options. There are MANY nice apartments downtown you can look atAnd to those of you who say Springfield is a "$hithole", please feel free to post some pictures of your neighborhoods, and I will put up some of our numerous 4 story Victorian mansions
Thank You.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:47 PM

Thanks mc, good stuff. Wow shocking, more positive about Springfield. Whaddya think Ari, it must be a hoax!!!!

Ari, glad you like walkable communities and cities instead of suburbs....but if your zip code in your profile is right, you live in Malden.....and you are calling Springfield "suburban"? Cmon Ari...lets be real hahahaha

Thanks for the list of good things about Springfield. Others:

The Springfield Symphony
AHL Hockey
D-NBA Basketball next year
Basketball Hall of Fame
A first class museum group with the Quadrangle
Other good restaurants: Student Prince, Big Mamou (hole in the wall but A+++), Red Rose, Max's Tavern, Theodore's BBQ...Typical is great though, I agree and go there often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts