U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:18 PM

3 posts, read 9,136 times
Default Where to live near Williamstown?

I am a 29 yr old single gal soon to be working in Williamstown for the summer. I was looking for some guidance in regards to apartment communities. The only one I have found on line so far is Section 8 housing in North Adams...not okay.

I've read other posts with very mixed reviews about Pittsfield and North Adams. Where is a girl to live in this area without facing a 30 minute commute each way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 PM

746 posts, read 2,160,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oklnc View Post
I am a 29 yr old single gal soon to be working in Williamstown for the summer. I was looking for some guidance in regards to apartment communities. The only one I have found on line so far is Section 8 housing in North Adams...not okay.

I've read other posts with very mixed reviews about Pittsfield and North Adams. Where is a girl to live in this area without facing a 30 minute commute each way?
The best apartments are not advertised, and should be looked at first hand, not on line. You will get a better deal in North Adams, and it is not such a bad place, believe me. There are a few streets you would want to avoid, but overall, it's ok. Williamstown and North Adams border each other so it's a quick hop in the car, or you can take the BRTA bus during the day.

Pittsfield is a bit of a schlep.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:45 PM

1,509 posts, read 3,233,612 times
I'd check out Williams college and see if somebody has a summer sublet.

Old 04-14-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaday View Post
I'd check out Williams college and see if somebody has a summer sublet.
I've been checking on Craig's list, but nothing so far. Do you know roughly when the semester is over?

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,322,368 times
Cool Williamstown MA

Have you considered Pownal VT or Stamford VT?

all within driving distance of Williamstown? Maybe Ashford MA , Greylock MA, or Adams MA , maybe even Cheshire MA?

---Btw, the Ashwilticook Rail Trail is a must ride/run/walk
esp in the fall :-)

As is Mt. Grylock, highest point in Massachusetts. You can drive up or hike up :-)

Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM

1,509 posts, read 3,233,612 times
Quote:
I've been checking on Craig's list, but nothing so far. Do you know roughly when the semester is over?
I believe around the 10th of May. You may want to call the school and see if they have a place for students to post listings or get a hold of the campus newspaper.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:04 PM

Is anyone familiar with Church Street in North Adams? Found one apartment that is month to month, but they don't give pics of the outside or the grounds. I am in New Mexico and can't just run over and check out the area. Thanks for all the input so far!

Old 04-16-2009, 11:16 AM

43 posts, read 76,416 times
Quote:
Is anyone familiar with Church Street in North Adams? Found one apartment that is month to month, but they don't give pics of the outside or the grounds. I am in New Mexico and can't just run over and check out the area. Thanks for all the input so far!
I drive there on a daily basis.
feel free to pm or post and I can try and help you out

Old 04-18-2009, 02:02 PM

746 posts, read 2,160,862 times
Quote:
I live one block from Church Street and there are a lot of old Victorian houses on the street - some are in good condition, others have been starved for love and attention.

There are a few landlords to watch out for, too, as in any city. LOOK before committing.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:48 AM

2,192 posts, read 3,099,945 times
Lanesborough is ok (we live there) and not a bad drive to Williamstown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts