U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 12:16 PM

4,838 posts, read 9,597,134 times

Advertisements

Good to know. I haven't had any issues with Concord residents yelling at me, but if I encounter one of them in the future now I know to say "the cops told me it's okay as long as we're respectful of your property" Ha!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 PM

1,024 posts, read 824,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Good to know. I haven't had any issues with Concord residents yelling at me, but if I encounter one of them in the future now I know to say "the cops told me it's okay as long as we're respectful of your property" Ha!

We would always park at the business google maps lists at 144 N Rd and take the path from there. This is technically in Sudbury. There is a public path for Frost Farm Conservation Land and it ends up at the pond. Nobody could possibly "own" a pond such as this one, and there aren't even signs stating that it is private. I still make the trip out there fairly often this time of year, and now that I look more responsible I haven't been yelled at once. I am prepared to deal with any person angry enough to yell at someone simply enjoying nature.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:57 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,391,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
Exactly. I grew up in Sudbury and people would always park in the parking lot for the business/school right next to that path. Residents would always yell at us and call the police for being in the area. Once the residents walked away cops would always tell us that as long as we were respectful (as most people were) we were not considered an issue.
Odd as it seems this sounds like a workable solution to me. A pond like that is a public resource and private owners shouldn't be able to bottle it up which at least some of them seem to want to do, in part by making you feel like a trespasser for walking on a path and in part by getting the town to impose some kind of prohibition on access from conservation land with the ostensible motive of protecting the soils and vegetation and the ulterior motive of keeping the hoi polloi (i.e., the common folk) out of the pond. What usually works, but especially in rural areas and less so in suburban areas, is an informal tolerance whereby property owners tacitly allow people who know about the resource to have access to it, and those people treat it respectfully. Masses of people will go to Walden Pond, Lake Cochituate, and other fully public beaches because they are well known but anyone should be able to have access to a pubic water body like White Pond.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:20 AM

1 posts, read 6,071 times
Please pay no attention to these bozos that WRONGFULLY claim White's pond is a private pond. Under the classification of ponds, White's Pond is a great pond. Any pond or lake larger than 10 acres is classified as such and therefore open to all the public to fish and swim. White's pond is no exception. However, the town of concord has cordoned off much of White's pond as conservation land for good reason which I fully support, thus making it illegal to swim and or fish from. Good news though. The workaround to that is that swimming and fishing is still permitted, just not from conservation land. Bring a canoe or kayak or bass boat. Hell, bring a rubber float and float 10 ft from shore and you can swim anywhere you damn well please. I've fished there several times and residents claim this and that, but please know this, as White's Pond is a Great Pond, EVERYONE has the right to fish, swim, relax, and enjoy this beautiful pond that nearby residents are claiming to be private. Don't let the residents tell you otherwise. Don't trespass on people's property while visiting this hidden gem. Find a legit public parking spot. Once you do, don't let the residents rob you of your RIGHT to enjoy this awesome little kettle pond.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:11 AM

6 posts, read 24,196 times
There is no HOA
The path to which I referred is not public and the birch was on my land
I am happy to share the pond with considerate people
I would hope you could see why broken bottles, discarded diapers and damaged plantings would upset me. So does the arrogance of the Wolfgangs who think everything should be free for your enjoyment. Go to Walden. And pick up your trash.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:19 AM

1,024 posts, read 824,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPatt View Post
There is no HOA
The path to which I referred is not public and the birch was on my land
I am happy to share the pond with considerate people
I would hope you could see why broken bottles, discarded diapers and damaged plantings would upset me. So does the arrogance of the Wolfgangs who think everything should be free for your enjoyment. Go to Walden. And pick up your trash.

You are right, I think everything in a designated public recreation area ought to be free for anyone to enjoy. That was the path to which I referred. I would be interested to hear a reasonable explanation as to why you might consider that arrogant and why you would disagree.

I don't want to go to Walden. Thank you though.

If I saw people snapping trees and throwing bottles I would say something, whether it is in your idyllic little planned neighborhood or on my street in Somerville.

Old 09-26-2014, 04:14 AM

6 posts, read 24,196 times
Glad to hear it. For the record, I've never yelled at anyone, even people who drive down my footpath "looking for a way to the pond". They upset me, but I don't yell at them. I direct them to the Sudbury access to which you refer, and I hope they, and you, do enjoy the pond. You might not be as polite about it if people drove onto your property in Somerville every few days, as they do mine each summer.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 AM

4,838 posts, read 9,597,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPatt View Post
Glad to hear it. For the record, I've never yelled at anyone, even people who drive down my footpath "looking for a way to the pond". They upset me, but I don't yell at them. I direct them to the Sudbury access to which you refer, and I hope they, and you, do enjoy the pond. You might not be as polite about it if people drove onto your property in Somerville every few days, as they do mine each summer.
I don't see a problem with anyone walking on a path if it's on an easement on your property. I definitely don't agree with people driving on a hiking path though. Personally I would put some small boulders (12-18" wide) along the path along your property border. If a car doesn't see it then he's got bumper damage to deal with and it's his own fault. I see this a lot in Weston and Wayland.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:00 AM

126 posts, read 211,732 times
There is a private beach area that is membership only. There are also trails that go to the pond from conservation land. However, there are town or state signs there saying no swimming. My impression is that the only swimming is from the private beach, but I could be wrong.

There is an access for boats, I think, but the pond is pretty small. I assume you can fish from the boats. Hunting seems like a real stretch. Too many houses around the pond.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:01 PM

120 posts, read 132,984 times
Yes, it is a private pond. I remember the many steps leading down to the beach when I was small -- they seemed endless. I am pretty sure dogs are not allowed either as I don't recall ever taking ours. It was always such a nice pond, warm, with a nice sandy bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts