Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 12:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,161,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I couldn't care less what you guys do in NH. I'm happy here in Mass. I'll happily pay my slightly increased sales tax (I paid more when I lived in Maine where I absolutely detested living). If you're happy in NH, then good for you, why is it that you have nothing better to do than bash the way of life in Massachusetts?

End rant. I'll continue being a moron. At least I'll be a moron who has better things to do than complain about minor tax increases in other states.
I wish more people were like you. Unfortunately, a lot of Mass people vote for higher taxes, then move to NH to get away, and then vote for higher taxes here - the worse Mass gets, the worse the Mass lite pols in NH feel they can push things.

If only you were right and Massachusetts residents would just enjoy their utopia and stay out of NH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 12:42 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Still trying to pay for the big dig. Just like those "temporary" tolls that were implemented and never went away. Weren't there about 100 toll workers laid off too? Meanwhile, Mass can still find it in their budget to overpay the cops to work highway details by just sitting in an air conditioned car running the lights. Some of them making double and triple their pay when other states allow a laborer with a red flag to warn traffic. Your tax dollars hard at work.

Meanwhile Massachusetts has some of the worst roads in the nation. Pot holes everywhere, towns without sidewalks, and inconsistent response time in regard to plowing roads. Sometimes it's good, other times it bad. Overall I think Mass is a great place to live and raise a family, but you have to question where the money is really going sometimes.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:48 PM

10,012 posts, read 15,659,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post

The income tax is next mark my words and you will still get these people who have not the remotest idea of what they are talking about saying "Big deal, it's only another 2% out of your paycheck".
What they fail to take into account is that just because they personally can afford to pay the increase, it's going to be the last straw for many small businesses and individuals.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:14 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
My only problem is that they raised the wrong tax. Should have been the income tax.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:39 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,014,769 times
There have been some good points in this thread. I especially like the one made about wasteful government spending. There's no question in my mind that eliminating (realistically: minimizing) this has to be the primary long-term goal. I have worked for the state before and I was astounded at the staggering waste. I still cringe every time I drive by a basic roadwork site and see 3 or 4 police officers sitting in their cars sipping some Dunkin Donuts. There's way too much waste going on and something needs to be done.

However, it'll take years for that to be planned out, debated, and finalized. Something needs to be done NOW. This sales tax increase makes sense. It makes sense because it's a minor increase (still below the national average) and will have big positive effects. The point was made that if we increase it now (as a temporary solution) to cover current shortfalls, it'll be brought into question the next time there's a recession. That's a reasonable concern. However, if the long-term goal is to minimize wasteful spending and we budget well as a result of this shortcoming, there should be no reason why we should have a situation where our budget is so vastly short. This current situation should be a red flag and something to build from. Even still, you can't ignore the shortfall right now and this is (in my opinion) one of the best solutions.

It was mentioned that this will hurt small businesses and individuals. Well, what solution now won't? I think this is the least harmful option. The money needs to be made up somewhere or cut from somewhere else. If the tax isn't approved, then the state will move onto the next option which will likely mean cuts. Cuts that will put thousands of people out of work and raise unemployment statewide. How well will small businesses and individuals fare when thousands more people are out of work? I would say significantly worse than they would with a tiny sales tax hike. How many people are really going to stop buying goods because of a 25% sales tax hike? Furthermore, making cuts instead of increasing this tax will eliminate necessary services. It's already happened- Firefighters, Police, Teachers, Healthcare officials have already been laid off in masses. We're starting to lose "fat" to trim from and cuts are only going to hurt deeper and deeper.

It's obvious that wasteful spending is something that needs to be fixed (and it will ALWAYS need to be monitored and fixed). That's a long term problem. However, we need a solution now and we can't just cut all of our wasteful government spending overnight. If this small sales tax increase isn't a good solution than what is? I'd love to hear some realistic suggestions from those complaining. I wouldn't be opposed to legalizing marijuana and taxing the crap out of it, but I'm sure that will ruffle a few too many feathers.

In short, this is the "lesser of the evils" right now. It's not ideal, but I have yet to hear a better suggestion.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:14 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,239 times
I feel that the increase in the sales tax is needed for the state to pay its bills and continue developing such things as mass transportation, drug rehabilitation, health assistance for the working poor and lesser known services like the $7 per senior given to the cities and towns for their elderly centers.

The sales tax does not apply to food or clothes, unlike in other states where everything is taxed. If I were sick and out of work, let me tell you I would much rather be in Mass than in NH - at least there would be a lifeline.

I know it is popular to badmouth Massachusetts for its taxes, and have been hearing it for years. But those of us who live here know two things for sure. We are far from the most expensive state tax-wise, and our leaders at least have a humane approach to providing for the needs of its citizens.

If I were to buy a new washer dryer for $1000, the increase in sales tax amounts to $10.25. Call it a 25% increase all you want, we are used to the sky is falling tactics of those who think good government can be had without some contribution from we the people.

Old 05-20-2009, 02:39 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
The sales tax does not apply to food or clothes, unlike in other states where everything is taxed. If I were sick and out of work, let me tell you I would much rather be in Mass than in NH - at least there would be a lifeline.

I know it is popular to badmouth Massachusetts for its taxes, and have been hearing it for years. But those of us who live here know two things for sure. We are far from the most expensive state tax-wise, and our leaders at least have a humane approach to providing for the needs of its citizens.

If I were to buy a new washer dryer for $1000, the increase in sales tax amounts to $10.25. Call it a 25% increase all you want, we are used to the sky is falling tactics of those who think good government can be had without some contribution from we the people.
It is nice that MA does not tax food or clothing. NH goes beyond that by not having a sales tax on anything at all.

MA is the #7 state in tax burden:
The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®

As for the $1000, washer dryer, the increase is actually $12.50. It was an extra $50 and now it will be an extra $62.50. I guess it is up to you if raising the sales tax by 1/4 is a burden or not. If one were sick and out of work, it wouldn't help to have to pay more for a lot of items...

What about a car? A MA resident buys a new car for $15,000 and pays and extra $937.50 more than someone in NH does....

Old 05-20-2009, 02:56 PM

369 posts, read 964,468 times
I can't believe the braying of the sheeple here.

You really think your taxes are paying for police, fire, public schools, road repair, snow removal, services for elderly and disabled and children, etc... ?

You already have a "Privileged Underclass" whom already receive free housing, food, medical care (Better than what I can afford.) CELL PHONES ...and on top of this SpendItAllDeval wants to give free cars to welfare recipients !

Hold on, I know what you're thinking there has to more to this...

According to the article they'll also get;
Quote:
The state pays for the car’s insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.
The end result of this tomfoolery will drive the remaining working class people out of Devilistan in droves, lowering revenues further, so then your income taxes will have to raised (again). Rinse, repeat.

Well, at least some of you "subjects" admit to being morons so I guess you'll all get what you deserve.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:14 PM

133 posts, read 559,130 times
I just don't get it

Like most everyone I go to work every day and bust my butt to make a living.

I already feel I pay more then my fair share of taxes.

We like most people have had to cut back and budget our money closer and closer.

Why WHY WHY would anyone want to pay more to a failing system?

By failing Im speeking of poor spending and investing habits. Do a better job at spending and investing and there won't be any need to raise taxes.

If I can't afford something I can't buy it.

Why should it be different in Government?

We can't afford somethings right now so we can't have them.
Sorry, schools will have to wait
New Police Stations will have to wait
New programs will have to wait and some old ones will have to be cut.
Less government = less taxes.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Is this really going to matter to anyone? Say you are going to spend $1000 on something that is taxable. Are you really going to driver to NH to save $50? Once this passes, are you going to drive to NH to save $62.50? Does the $12.50 make a difference?
Yes...maybe $62.50 isn't worth an hour of your time, but it was mine. I lived in Leominster (about 8 miles from NH) and used to go to Nashua all the time to shop, especially for big ticket items. Maybe folks need to keep in mind that most states are cutting spending, not raising taxes. In MA, the same thing always happens. It did in the late 80's and early 90's, and it did in 2001.

Here's how it works in MA:

A fiscal downturn happens....fees and taxes get jacked up...then the economy recovers...surpluses build in the "rainy day fund" but the taxes and fees don't get reduced...Beacon Hill figures out new ways to spend money and invent new "programs"...then the next downturn comes and rather than cut the fat or even use the money in the rainy day fund, taxes and fees get hiked again...and the cycle starts over.

Ever wonder why the state budget in MA is huge compared to states with similar populations? Of course most of you don't. That's why I left MA.

Here are some quotes from the Globe this morning that highlight the mentality from elected officials on Beacon Hill:

"When we have an addict, we'll have a bed for them," said Senator Steven A. Tolman, a Boston Democrat. "This money will help us put these beds on line."

"I think this is probably the more fair way to go if we have to raise revenue and, unfortunately, we have to raise revenue," she told reporters after the vote. She said that although the budget's proposed cuts will not be completely reversed, there will at least be "some money put back into those programs." Senate President Therese Murray

"this sales tax will fund a lot of very important programs, at least in part for some of the most vulnerable citizens." Senator Gale D. Candaras, a Wilbraham Democrat

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mas...ales_tax_hike/

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-20-2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: Needs a cite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts