Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 04:54 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,201,680 times

Advertisements

I look forward to some insight on the good and bad points of these two communities. I know they are both lovely, but other than the obvious, what else goes on in these towns? We are a family of three (one teenage boy going into high school), my son loves sports, we are not rich and will probably rent w/dogs. Hubby will take T or train or boat to Boston for work. Love a nice town center where most of what you need is there except for the ocassional mall trip which I hate. Looking forward to living by the shore for the first time in my life and I am from California! All of your suggestions will be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,270 times
hi, marblehead is beautiful as you know. plenty of public beaches, parks..recreation center (JCC, jewish community center). They have an unbelievable "old town" area as well as downtown. If you found a place to rent hear you wouldn't need your car. Lots of sports and recreation (sailing lessons for the children). 4th of July on the beaches!!! Quite nice.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:02 AM

Thanks Mom, Is there anyone else out there with helpful insight? Having to move cross country without being able to visit first is difficult at best which is why I am reaching out to anyone willing to take the time to answer and be our eyes.

Old 04-13-2007, 11:58 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,284 times
I haven't been to Hingham, but Marblehead is the quintessential New England coastal town with a great walkable compact downtown with lots of character. I especially enjoy driving to see how the other half live in Marblehead Neck. Most of those houses have garages that's larger than my house

Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
I haven't been to Hingham, but Marblehead is the quintessential New England coastal town with a great walkable compact downtown with lots of character. I especially enjoy driving to see how the other half live in Marblehead Neck. Most of those houses have garages that's larger than my house
Thank you for your reply. Is it possible to find an affordable rental there?

Old 04-13-2007, 01:26 PM

702 posts, read 3,010,284 times
Upon initial check, seems that you can find something in the range of $750 to $15,000 a month. That $15,000 a month is not a typo.

http://re.boston.com/rentals/list_listings.asp?cityname=marblehead&ST=MA&LPrice =0&HPrice=99000000&RoS=r (broken link)

Old 04-26-2007, 02:07 PM

5 posts, read 24,440 times
I've lived in Hingham all my life. It is a wonderful place to live and go to school (a lot of woods, clean air), but the small downtown is not useful. Locals only use the post office, bank, coffee shop/sandwich shop, one-screen movie theater (real curtain and little balcony), ice cream shop, and convenience store (may still rent movies). The rest of downtown is high-priced boutiques and expensive restaurants. It is a 15 minute drive to the rest of what you need (large grocery stores, stores) in Weymouth and Norwell. Hingham is historic, and there are no drive-throughs of any kind allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts