U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-02-2009, 09:12 AM

2 posts, read 3,348 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I am a young, recently married professional. My husband and I are looking for some neighborhood suggestions to help us in our house hunt. I will try to give as much information as possible so you guys can help us out.
My husband is from Scituate, MA and I am from New Jersey. I work in Boston and he works in Billerica. I need to be close to a commuter rail so I can get in to work - he drives. We currently live in Woburn, but are looking for a town that is more rural. We like trees and nature! Our price range is around $350-375k for a 3 bedroom with hopefully some backyard so we can have a nice garden and maybe a dog. We like neighborhoody towns with tree lined streets, but we also like being close to major highways with shopping areas (maybe some nice restaurants). We are still pretty young, but kids are in the future so a good school system is definitely important. For example, we LOVE Lynnfield, but unfortunately can't afford it. We love towns like Ipswich and Topsfield, but those don't have commuter rails....Currently we have been looking around the Wilmington, North Reading, Wakefield sort of areas as a compromise because they seem to have nice neighborhoods but are still affordable and commutable. Does anyone have any input on those towns? Or know of any other towns in the area that are nice and possibly in our price range?
Any advice would really be appreciate.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 12:17 PM

72 posts, read 90,708 times
I love Wakefield but unfortunately have to move to the south shore due to money issues. It's a great, friendly area - safe as far as I know (I live in the Greenwood section) and you might be able to find an older or small home in your price range now. People walk around the beautiful lake most of the year, so that's a plus. As I have no children, not sure about the schools, but I believe they are at least average. Bad thing is that the Wakefield Light and Gas seem to charge extremely high rates.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:47 PM

1,254 posts, read 3,560,202 times
Actually Ipswich has a commuter rail

Newburyport might be worth looking into as well -

You might also look into Beverly Farms section of Beverly and perhaps Gloucester or rockport if you don't mind living out on Cape Ann-

Another option would be Wakefield which has a nice walkable town center, - and a nice lake to walk around - also has a woods (the breakheart reservation)

Melrose might be another option -

You might also check out Wilmington and Reading

Old 06-03-2009, 07:12 AM

1,038 posts, read 2,531,658 times
Not sure if Amesbury is on the commuter rail. But may be an option. Wakefield is very nice. Have relatives who went through the schools there and all are very successful. Love the lake in the summer.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:25 AM

4,070 posts, read 7,904,125 times
Amesbury isn't on the commuter line, but next-door Newburyport is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capecodcathy View Post
Not sure if Amesbury is on the commuter rail. But may be an option.

Old 06-03-2009, 03:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,348 times
Default re

Amesbury and Newburyport are a pretty far commute for me. I am trying to keep my train ride to closer to 30 minutes.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:59 PM

4,070 posts, read 7,904,125 times
If you prefer to be on the commuter rail: MBTA.com > Commuter Rail Maps and Schedules

I'm partial to Wakefield, friends who live there just love it. It's a great community with lots to do. Check out this Community Events website for the town: Events for Wakefield, Massachusetts MA - Community Calendar for all happenings in and around Wakefield, Massachusetts - AmericanTowns.com

Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 PM

45 posts, read 127,524 times
Consider Georgetown? There is a bus to Boston that leaves from the center of town, also a rail line in Haverhill 15 minutes away. Lots of wooded areas for hiking and mountain biking, great schools for the kids, not much in the way for dining or entertainment although we often go to Newburyport, Haverhill, or Beverly on weekends. My partner works in Cambridge and finds the drive there quicker than rail; shared ride might be an option. Some good deals in town for real estate right now.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-05-2009 at 04:53 AM.. Reason: No advertising, no mention of realtors

Old 06-07-2009, 10:03 AM

639 posts, read 2,533,117 times
Well the Georgetown area, you would love it thru there. The schools have really good reputations too. Commuting from I-95 is a piece of cake compared to any towns thru I-93 as far as zipping up and down from Boston. That I-93 can be brutal I've seen it in the middle of the afternoon a lot of times and can't believe the tie ups on that highway. I know & can vouch for it, trust me. If you're looking for a more rural town, then check up thru the Georgetown area, it would be easy to get in to Boston too. Your husband can get over to Billerica in no time from there, you wouldn't believe all the short cuts I found just working in Andover alone, so I'm sure getting over to Billerica wouldn't be a bad commute at all for him from Georgetown.

YES for Wakefield too, I agree wholeheartedly with that town, it's awesome with their beautiful lake right there. I think with your husbands commute though you should shoot for something further up the north shore, that way you could get the commuter rail & he could just drive & it wouldn't be that bad of a commute for him. The winters can be brutal. I work in Andover & believe you me, they get way more snow than I do in southern NH along the coast! I'm not kidding you either. WAY more snow. I couldn't believe it all. It's due to that whole area thru Andover being along the "snow belt" of New England. My sisters are in southern NH further away from me in the state and they get hit way more than us too. It's amazing to me because they're only 15 minutes away. So that's something to consider with driving. You need to be near the commuter rail and your husband should be within a 15 to possibly a 20 minute drive. Hey, IF you can pull that off, it'll be awesome for the two of you! I'd be in heaven with that type of a commute!

If you DO prefer to be in the Wilmington area of the north shore, then as a suggestion, check the town of Tewksbury out, I can't believe some of the beautiful areas of that town! I cruised thru there quite a few times and was so surprised that there were even some parts of it that were much more rural than southern New Hampshire! It was really pretty too, so that should be on your list. It would be SO SO easy to get to Billerica from there for your husband & a piece of cake to get in to Boston, the commuter rail is there, either the Andover RTC, or the Wilmington stop; or the No. Billerica one.

Good luck wherever you decide to live!

Last edited by CityGirl52; 06-07-2009 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts