Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:18 PM

11 posts, read 31,986 times

Advertisements

Hi I went to Camp Four Winds back in the late 50's and early 60's - I think it might be called Camp Favorite now.

Can anyone tell me if that camp, on Long Pond used to be called Camp Four Winds??

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 03:30 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
SeaLady, I found these two links for you, but I'd have to ask around town for you to find out more localized information....

Scouting in Massachusetts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Browse camps

My daughter took swimming lessons on Long Pond, but I think those were run through the town, not the girl scouts. She'd remember for certain, I'm a little wobbly on it. lol

You might try going to the chat area of the Cape Cod Times and posting your question there... CapeCodOnline.com - Frontpage

Good luck with your search! Welcome to City-Data!!!

Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 PM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,860 times
This might help:
Girl Scout Resident Camp: Favorite

Old 06-02-2009, 05:28 PM

11 posts, read 31,986 times
Default Girl Scout Camp, Brewster

I know the camp on Long Pond is now called Camp Favorite, but I'm fairly sure it might have been called Camp Four Winds back in the 50 - 60's.

I've been to their site and to the Wikipedia site, but cannot find any mention of it being called Four Winds.

If anyone from Brewster remembers??

We also had a cottage on the other side of Long Pond, unfortunately my family sold it.......because we pulled into the very narrow dirt road and it was about 40' wide with houses being built - what a HUGE mistake my grandmother made!!!

The nice old fashioned cottage was just in a bit from the road which ran right along the pond........one day I will have to get down there and see if I can find that also.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:06 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
I've lived in Brewster for 30 years. lol Don't be fooled by my name on here! I'm still sitting right here in Brewster at this very moment. lol

I have never heard of it being called Camp Four Winds, but I think you could check with the Brewster Historical Society. They may have information that would help you. Here is their link:

The Brewster Historical Society

If they don't know, they'll know someone they can check with and get back to you with. I'm sure it's easily solved! Good luck! Come back and let us know how you made out!

Yes, too bad your grandmother sold. No matter how built up it's gotten, they just aren't making any more land here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLady321 View Post
I know the camp on Long Pond is now called Camp Favorite, but I'm fairly sure it might have been called Camp Four Winds back in the 50 - 60's.

I've been to their site and to the Wikipedia site, but cannot find any mention of it being called Four Winds.

If anyone from Brewster remembers??

We also had a cottage on the other side of Long Pond, unfortunately my family sold it.......because we pulled into the very narrow dirt road and it was about 40' wide with houses being built - what a HUGE mistake my grandmother made!!!

The nice old fashioned cottage was just in a bit from the road which ran right along the pond........one day I will have to get down there and see if I can find that also.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,735 times
There was a girl scout camp know as "four winds" on a different local Long Pond - Long Pond in Plymouth, MA in the 1950s . . . not sure how long before or after that, but it appears in newspapers from that era. Camp Favorite has been Favorite since at least the late 50s, as it celebrated 50 yeas with members of the Favorite family last summer in 2008. Hopefully pieces of your answer?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 5,691 times
Default Camp Four Winds and SeaLady

SeaLady,

I went to a camp Four Winds in the late 1950's. But I don't think it was in Brewster. We were on a pond; not on the ocean. I think it was in the Plymouth MA area; on Long Pond or one of the other ponds in that area.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:12 PM

3 posts, read 16,449 times
Default four winds

to anyone who's interested camp four winds was in plymouth at one corner of myles standish state forest even though i am a male was born there in 1959 my grandparents tobe and gell suomi we're the camp leaders then if you were there in59 you might recall this event my mothers name was sally. this is funny stumbling on to these questions as i was trying to find some info my self as i recently turned 50 august 15th just feeling nostalgic if anyone remembers this let me know funny world isn't thanks my name is ralph

Old 08-24-2009, 11:24 PM

Default re-fourwinds

i actually have tons of old 8mm film of those years that my grandparents left me actually only memories of my dad bob who was also there briefly and my aunt mandy has a lot too you might remember her she was ten years old at the time so you might be in the films....

Old 08-24-2009, 11:28 PM

also i have a few photos of us there i'll post them this is so funny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts