Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,082,298 times

Advertisements

was just curious as to what everyone's opinions are on the east vs west and vice versa vibe that permeates through out this state.it is one of the smallest states land wise and yet there is such a great divide. can't we all just get along.(and i don't mean on this forum i mean in real life)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 07:14 AM

3,075 posts, read 5,620,825 times
I've always said there are 4 separate and different parts of MA...Cape Cod, Eastern MA (Metro Boston), Central MA, and Western MA. I really find the people more engaging and to open up more the further west you go. The closer you go to Boston the more people seem to care about materialistic things.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,482,294 times
From what I get from my experiences between the two the pace of life and how people live it is very different. Even if it is only a 2 hour drive difference. The east part of mass where I grew up is very fasted paced. Actually I'm living in NJ right now (god get me home to the south shore again.) And I see a lot of similarities in lifestyles here. Actually I've lived in D.C. as well and have seen similarities to the east of Mass there also. I guess that's why they call it the BoWash corridor. I get the sense in these areas that the people there are very career oriented, driven, aggressive, and well educated (overeducated), and are very active in politics, economics, and social issues. Basically the on switch is flipped up most of the time.
Now from what I have experienced visiting the western-side of the state is that is a lot more laid back and more community oriented. I can't really speak to if this is absolutely true because I've never lived there. But it was I have experienced there in my short visits. I will say this for the west it very nice country to hike and kayak. I wish I had more time and was closer so I could enjoy the natural wonders of the area.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:41 AM

74 posts, read 286,020 times
I've always experience the North Shore vs. South Shore phenomenon and never realized there was an east/west rivalry too.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:39 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,498,574 times
Having grown up in NJ and living in NYC, and going to school in the Happy Valley, and spending summers doing various enrichment programs as a kid at several programs in Western Mass and Southern Vermont, going to cultural things in the Berkshires, friends going to boarding schools in western MA, etc., I was shocked when I moved to the South Shore in MA and not one of the natives I got to know had EVER BEEN THERE!!!!

It's as if it's a different planet. And I think for tourism purposes, western MA is generally the property of the metropolitan NYC crowd.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
I was shocked when I moved to the South Shore in MA and not one of the natives I got to know had EVER BEEN THERE!!!!
I just want to make sure I understand you. You mean most of the natives you met on the south shore have never been to western mass? Yes?
If that's what you meant. Yes that is true for the most part. Most people on the south shore don't think about going to western mass to hangout. It's mostly about the cape or Boston. Sometimes it they will go to NYC or maybe, just maybe got to Europe.
Honestly as least from my hometown of Marshfield most people I know/knew really just like to relax at home or the beach in the town. Some do get the travel bug but....Western mass has never come up as a place to go. Granted as I said earlier western mass has a lot to offer in terms of outdoor stuff. Actually now that I think of it the first time I when to western mass.....it was only because I got invited by a well to do family from boston to go white water rafting. Otherwise I might have never even gone to western mass in the first place. And would have never found an interest in hiking the area.
Btw. White water rafting is AWESOME!

Last edited by baystater; 06-10-2009 at 10:12 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 10:25 AM

Yes that's what I meant. Not so outrageous to you, but to me at the time it was. Now, not so much, I understand why people in eastern MA stay put--for example, outdoor recreation is fairly easy to come by here, while around NYC you pretty much have to drive for at least 2 hours to get somewhere fairly outdoorsy, so why not drive 3 1/2 and get somewhere really beautiful!

Another reason I was amazed at the time is plenty of kids from Eastern MA go to UMass Amherst, but I guess they just get out of the area as fast as possible after they graduate and don't go back.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
while around NYC you pretty much have to drive for at least 2 hours to get somewhere fairly outdoorsy, so why not drive 3 1/2 and get somewhere really beautiful!
Dude. I total get what you mean. I'm in Essex County, New Jersey as we speak. Basically I'm 2 seconds from route 3 and could probably be in NYC without traffic in 15 - 20 minutes. Heck on certain hills in the town I live I can see parts of NYC.
To be honest to me this place is rather depressing. This in my mind is the land of urban/suburban sprawl where one town just rolls into another. Yes the town where I'm living has nice small parks. But when you can see traffic around them it just not the same as looking out on the ocean that extends out to the horizon or to be out in the nature hiking trails or rock climbing with out a car or perhaps sometime not another person around. This area that I'm at now is made for people that like cities and want to be in the action all the time. There is plenty of culture to go around as well. But for people that like alot of green and blue. No. This ain't the place.
Even D.C. had more to offer with in a 15 20 minute radius. Rock Creek Park was really nice and Great falls national park was totally awesome, the Potomac was beautiful.
Though I'm complaining here. I wouldn't say it would take as long as 3 1/2 hours to find a nice outdoor spot. Probably closer to an 1 1/2 - 2 hours. But you have to head north or west to find it. There are nice spot in Rockland County and Sussex counties that I've found.

Quote:
Another reason I was amazed at the time is plenty of kids from Eastern MA go to UMass Amherst, but I guess they just get out of the area as fast as possible after they graduate and don't go back.

Don't know. Didn't go to school there. I am guessing it is about employment opportunities.

Last edited by baystater; 06-10-2009 at 11:32 AM..

Old 06-10-2009, 03:14 PM

64 posts, read 124,960 times
I have lived in the South Shore all my life and I will admit it, I know next to nothing about parts North or West of Boston. We are a teeny tiny state, yet I have not really traveled any further than West of Worcester, or North of Boston. And to be quite honest, I don't really care to. It just doesn't interest me. Sometimes, I forget that there are other parts of MA. lol

The Western part of Ma is soooo different than where I am from, it is like a totally different state. I know people from out there and I have found the people that I know from there to be a little snobbier than the people I know here. I think that people who live that far west are a little more well off financially than where I am from, and same for most towns up North. So you just see different classes, I guess. I don't know how to explain it.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:48 PM

Yes, it makes life interesting, doesn't it. We like to think all our differences are leveled by 21st century media, but in fact our regional differences still thrive. Thankfully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts