Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2007, 12:20 PM

5 posts, read 28,630 times

Advertisements

Has anyone commuted from the Lakeville or Plymouth area to the Back Bay station? I'm looking to move to Boston in the next few months and I'll be working just a few minute walk from Back Bay. I'm also considering areas on the Framingham line which goes straight into Back Bay. I'm looking to spend 500K to 600K for a house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2007, 01:35 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
Look along the Franklin line also which stops in the Back Bay.

Old 04-14-2007, 03:13 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
What are you looking for in your new hometown? Are schools important? I don't know much about the Plymouth area but I know most towns well along most of the Framingham line. Please feel free to PM me with ?s

Old 04-14-2007, 04:40 PM

19 posts, read 98,483 times
I've lived on the south shore for a long time so I think I can help.
With your budget, I'm curious why you are looking in the Plymouth area (although Duxbury is one of the nicest towns in New England. Almost worth the long long commute). But first, your question: Lakeville stop to South Station is about 1 hr on a good day.Then you connect to the green line, which takes a bit (walk down through the station, wait for train). Then you will be at Back Bay in about 15 minutes. All said and done, count on 1.5 hours. Oh, the train home is awful if you are leaving around 5. Packed to the gills.

Anyway, with your budget I have an idea you might consider. The MBTA is bringing back an old line, the Greenbush Line, which cuts through the best towns on the South Shore. With your budget you could afford a nice house in Scituate, Marshfield, Norwell... even Cohasset (arguably the most beautiful town in Massachusetts- and one of the most expensive). If I had to commute and I had your budget, I would look for a house in Cohasset, which is closer to Boston via the Greenbush Line, and is far nicer than Plymouth. Let me know if I can help anymore, and good luck with your move.

Either way skip the Framingham Line. The South Shore is a great area.

Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 PM

967 posts, read 4,784,500 times
I agree with Hookie that Plymouth is not the most desirable locale. Cohasset is gorgeous.

Re: commuting, the Framingham line does go directly to Back Bay. Depending where you pick up the train it might be an easier commute. I wouldn't count on the Green Line to get my anywhere fast unfortunately. It often seems to be slow or having problems.

If you're considering the Framingham/Metrowest area, Southboro is lovely & has great train access. The Edmands Rd area of Framingham is also very pretty. Some parts of Hopkinton also offer easy train access also. The schools are much better in Southboro & Hopkinton than Framingham.

The north shore is also beautiful but I don't think there's direct train access to the Back Back from there.

Old 04-14-2007, 09:48 PM

5 posts, read 28,630 times
First off, thanks for everyone's replies! You guys are awesome!!

Schools are important only for their impact on resale value. I won't have any kids attending the schools.

The Cohasset idea sounds excellent (thanks Hookie!!).

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Old 04-15-2007, 11:47 AM

19 posts, read 98,483 times
I forgot to mention Hingham.... closer to Boston, on the new train, excellent schools and exceptionally desireable. I feel it is not on par with Cohasset, but once you visit Cohasset you would probably see that few places are. If I sound a little obsessed, let me put it this way- I take a drive through Cohasset daily just because it is so incredible. It never gets old.
In your price range, there is a (relative) glut of properties on the market, many just sitting there for 6 months, some with price changes. With Duxbury I would argue it is the most desireable town south of Boston. But be prepared to find your house half to 1 quarter of the value of many homes in town.

Old 04-17-2007, 07:18 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,019,787 times
Default I'm from Lakeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrylime View Post
Has anyone commuted from the Lakeville or Plymouth area to the Back Bay station? I'm looking to move to Boston in the next few months and I'll be working just a few minute walk from Back Bay. I'm also considering areas on the Framingham line which goes straight into Back Bay. I'm looking to spend 500K to 600K for a house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
The commute from the lakeville train station to back bay is not direct you do have another option which I actually did for over a year (drive to the Route 128 train station and take the train directly into back bay). depending upon when you leave in the morning (I used to take either the 7:30 which is an express to back bay or the 7:45) the traffic on route 24 was not bad (65 almost the whole way to the station). I did this because it gave me more flexibility on the way home which I personally liked.

Now as for lakeville. For $600,000 you can get a VERY nice home (even brand new) with an acre or more of land. You'll definitely get more in terms of home in lakeville than you will in framingham or other areas. Lakeville is a great little town. Very peaceful, very mayberry. We don't have much in terms of restaurants/shopping BUT the towns surrounding lakeville certainly do. If you're looking for a quiet/peaceful/serene town where you can feel completely safe (I haven't locked my car doors since the day i move in to my home) I recommend lakeville. if you would like more information feel free to pm me.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 16,652 times
Default I live in Cohasset

The Boston area has so many towns to consider that it can be overwhelming. We lived on the North Shore for six years, then moved to Cohasset because we wanted a different lifestyle. There is so much to do here! It is by far the best place we have ever lived...beach, sailing, swimming, Music Circus, great bike riding, the schools are great, the people are nice. The best thing is that the activities are all very accessible and affordable. The train is going to be a great option, but taking the commuter boat to Boston or the airport cannot be beat...coffee and paper in the morning, drinks on the way home. Good luck with your decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts