Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 09:22 PM

544 posts, read 1,471,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantica View Post
You want a great town, lower taxes and a nice house for short money. You'd also like to pay less for goods and services. Sounds fantastic to me too. Unfortunately, sometimes you just have to amend what you want and scale your expectations back to what you need. There are many houses on the market right now available to first time buyers. You make a choice- do I want a nicer house or a nicer location. If you choose the former, do your research- what currently less than desirable towns have the most potential. Where can you get the most bang for your buck? If you choose the latter, settle for less house or something that can be remodelled over time to suit your tastes. There are many properties out there that with a little sweat equity, your time and hard work will pay dividends in the long run.

Take heart, been there, done that and you can find all that you are looking for- it just takes patience, hard work and perseverance.

I think I get what your saying and it goes a little something like this. When you say the amend what you want part about say the taxes. I will pay tax especially since no matter where you go, you have to pay tax for whatever it is they want to charge you for.
I would just move to the state that taxes people for things that I agree with. I cant really say MA tax is something I agree on. Like Im not a hard liquor drinker really, so if a state charges more tax for someone who drinks liquor, I wont care or cigarettes.
Taxes to improve parks, improve cities that once had awfully high crime, improve how cops act to people, then I wont mind. Lowell looks to be doing this now for instance. As far as schools go, the old timers didnt need to get a great education and many got wealthy, so i wont wanna be taxed for schools and MA has a bit of school tax.
I dont feel someone should be forced to recycle or pay way extra for a 2nd trash barrel (if the people want another) like they are doing here now.
At the same time tho, I feel like more people should get involved and clean up any litter off the ground that they see because it just looks disgusting.
These liberals talk the talk and charge extra for these things but dont walk the walk and get involved themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:50 AM

74 posts, read 287,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltinjohn View Post
I think I get what your saying and it goes a little something like this. When you say the amend what you want part about say the taxes. I will pay tax especially since no matter where you go, you have to pay tax for whatever it is they want to charge you for.
I would just move to the state that taxes people for things that I agree with.
I cant really say MA tax is something I agree on. Taxes to improve parks, improve cities that once had awfully high crime, improve how cops act to people, then I wont mind. Lowell looks to be doing this now for instance. As far as schools go, the old timers didnt need to get a great education and many got wealthy, so i wont wanna be taxed for schools and MA has a bit of school tax.
I dont feel someone should be forced to recycle or pay way extra for a 2nd trash barrel (if the people want another) like they are doing here now.
At the same time tho, I feel like more people should get involved and clean up any litter off the ground that they see because it just looks disgusting.
These liberals talk the talk and charge extra for these things but dont walk the walk and get involved themselves.
Good luck in your search out of state. I'm not sure you will find anyplace that offers taxes only on what you think is important but you never know.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:14 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
I am amazed at how many services MA has but then again, I'm in AZ.........our government just shut down during a feud with our gov. about cutting the crap out of our already pathetic k-12 education system. We have already cut all summer programs, laid off numerous teachers, etc.
When a state feels like they can cut spending in an education system that ranks 50th in the nation, you really crave some services. I guess it's a glass 1/2 full, 1/2 empty situation for me but I am looking forward to the "opposite" of what we have here out west, which is essentially "nothing" that benefits me, a mother and mainline worker. lol

Don't forget government services create jobs, and security thats hard to come by out west. We are a right to work state, so we have the right to work for nothing, essentially this has translated into people getting fired with no warning, for any reason. IDK, it hasn't helped anything as far as I can see, businesses are still shutting down right and left, people haven't received their unemployment for 6 months after they were laid off. Our government just can't afford it, and are so broke they can't keep up with the influx of the unemployed. But hey, our roads are pretty well maintained!

Here is an interesting article, that sort of reflects on some points I agree with, it's from 2002 but still holds true out here in the wild west. lol
New Thinking About Government and Taxes Needed | UANews.org

I am looking forward to the change, I will enjoy the 180 and comparing the vastly different political approaches of the 2 states. I'm not poor either, I just believe that more than just the poor benefit.

Right now we rely on Wal Mart to dole out Arizona's services.......
We call it the "role back" relief, if you're not doing so well here you can always wait for the Wal Mart role backs so you can afford some toilet paper. (this is a joke) sort of
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts