Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 02:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
Gates wasn't in a suit. If it was two suspicious white guys--yes.

Yes, possibly. And unless you are white, and have been in this position you have no right to comment. Blacks often presume they know what it is like to be white, and assume that we live these beautiful lives free of police harrassment. Whites do not, and blacks have a lot to learn.

Gates wasn't in a suit. This neighborhood had experienced nine previous break-ins, and Gates house has been previously broken into. Your dispute is really aimed at the individual who called the police. And furthermore, two white guys may not have been foaming at the mouth acting belligerant and combative, looking for a fight as Gates was. Gates has waiting his whole life for this moment. He's just another cantankerous old black man that believes he's entitled, and hasn't realized that his quality of life in Africa would be a thousand times worse, than living in country predominated by whites and white culture.
The house belongs to Harvard, Gates just lives there.
Whites can act badly too and often do when approached by the police. Regardless if the situation in Cambridge, Obama playing the race card against the police officer without any of the facts before him is inexcuseable. It galls me to no end that a sitting President can be so outwardly hateful to a white man when HE is supposed to be the leader of us all. Obama's true colors are shining through and I hope you "feel goods" who voted for him just because he is black see him for what he truly is. A man with a grudge against 88% of the population he's trying to lead! Good thinking people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2009, 03:27 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,459,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The house belongs to Harvard, Gates just lives there.
Whites can act badly too and often do when approached by the police. Regardless if the situation in Cambridge, Obama playing the race card against the police officer without any of the facts before him is inexcuseable. It galls me to no end that a sitting President can be so outwardly hateful to a white man when HE is supposed to be the leader of us all. Obama's true colors are shining through and I hope you "feel goods" who voted for him just because he is black see him for what he truly is. A man with a grudge against 88% of the population he's trying to lead! Good thinking people!
Could it be you did not like Obama before this incident?

I thought Obama was was hateful towards the behavior, when did Obama say I hate you officer because you are white?

Sounds like your true colors are showing stronger than Obamas, and your grudge against the POTUS is even more evident. To say Obama has a grudge against 88% of the population is ignorant.

Truth is, none of use were there and did not see the incident unfold. Sounds more like the incident in Oklahoma where the OHP choked the EMS employee, meaning, two type A people locking horns. And the media is fanning the feud and the fans in the stands are going wild!

Old 07-25-2009, 04:04 PM

844 posts, read 1,275,902 times
Anyone else see Colbert lampoon this story, and Gates detractors?

Old 07-25-2009, 04:26 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Could it be you did not like Obama before this incident?

I thought Obama was was hateful towards the behavior, when did Obama say I hate you officer because you are white?

Sounds like your true colors are showing stronger than Obamas, and your grudge against the POTUS is even more evident. To say Obama has a grudge against 88% of the population is ignorant.

Truth is, none of use were there and did not see the incident unfold. Sounds more like the incident in Oklahoma where the OHP choked the EMS employee, meaning, two type A people locking horns. And the media is fanning the feud and the fans in the stands are going wild!
Obama insinuated the arrest was racially motivated without even knowing the facts by calling the actions of the cop stupid. No I do not like Obama . I feel HE is biased, angry, dangerous, and totally unqualified to be President. I also though George Bush was totally unqualified to be President so stow your racism comments.
All Obama was is a Community Organizer. That qualifies him to be a community organizer. I guess all who disagree with your view are ignorant. You are seeing the tip of the iceberg with this President.

Old 07-25-2009, 04:56 PM

9,918 posts, read 15,482,556 times
Ok, lets try and keep the comments on the actual Gates arrest because the Obama involvement is more suited to the Politics forum (and there are several threads there about this).

However, has anyone heard any kind of apology from Deval Patrick yet?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:24 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,416,402 times
I haven't Casey and I seriously doubt there'll be one forthcoming. He gets that deer in the headlights 'doey' look whenever he talks about Obama... so I'm sure he thinks he's on target with his remarks. Guess he doesn't realize he just blew having any support from the men in blue when he runs for reelection! Not that I'm upset about that or anything... lolololol I always thought he was a one hit wonder and he continues to prove that theory right.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:33 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,705,098 times
This incident has been a mess. I for one will be so happy when it is finally over if it ever is.
Good for Officer Crowley and the police for not backing down.

Yesterday there was so much emphasis on them all meeting at the White House for a beer. Pleeeeeze but Mr. Uppity Gates answers "well I will come but I don't drink". Still trying to show his superiority instead of just going along with it. I don't htink it was about a drink.

If the police thought I was breaking into my own home I would for one thank the person who called it in for being an upstanding citizen and thank the police for responding so quickly.

Old 07-25-2009, 06:36 PM

967 posts, read 4,771,845 times
Sorry, maybe I didn't hear the whole story but I don't really get why this guy was still arrested after he'd proven it was his home. The cop's defense seems to be that the guy said something about his mother. Am I missing something? Is it illegal to "talk back" to a police officer?

Old 07-25-2009, 06:39 PM
miu

17,762 posts, read 40,021,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I'm still puzzled by the "disorderly conduct" issue myself. Why is it again that you can't voice your opinion, or rant to an officer as a regular civilian, and non criminal without getting arrested?
You have no weapon, not physically hurting anyone, but you cannot complain? Without arrest?
What did Gates have to complain about? And instead of first asking the police officer why he was in his doorway, he went off into a rant about being a black man in America. Meanwhile, the police officer was legitimately there to investigate a reported breaking and entering. And police protocol dictates that the office can't leave the premises without absolutely making sure that the person(s) present are legally allowed to be there, that there are no unauthorized persons lurking around either. For all the officer knew, there also could have been a burglar hiding in the house that Gates was unaware of.

And it's my understanding that citizens don't have the right to yell and scream at any police officer, let alone throw accusations of racial profiling at them. They are sworn to uphold keeping the peace in the community. Yelling and screaming is not peaceful behaviour. Just because they are paid out of our taxes and considered a public servant, doesn't give a citizen the right to treat them demeaningly like a menial pee-on.

Otherwise, on other housecalls, if it's a neighbor reporting a loud fight in someone's dwelling nearby, the police will arrive to calm everyone down and to sort things out. And anyone that refuses to calm down will be booked for disorderly conduct and taken to jail to cool off for a few hours or overnight. And many times, the charges will be dropped if the defendant is sorry for what they've done and promises to keep cool.

Old 07-25-2009, 07:40 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,500,109 times
Peon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts