U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2010, 10:53 PM
 
13 posts, read 34,628 times
Reputation: 14
A&D-
Have you had experience with both the elementary and middle schools? I have done a little research and it seems that the Cottage school is the more "desireable" one. Do you know about the other 2 elementary schools? Also, do you know how the special ed teams are in terms of offering services that the child is entitled to or that the parent feels are neccessary? I know all schools try to keep special ed costs down but some honor it more than others. But Autistic Spectrum kids can be difficult for a school to handle...Where I live now, my daughter's elementary school is fine with her IEP, although they took OT off it (I initially agreed unfortunately). But, in 3rd grade she will enter a new school in where parents complain a lot about the Special Ed. They fight everything. By middle school, it is horrible...My son would be into middle school by the time I actually move. I think its the schools and recreation that I find so appealling. I like the fact that it seems more diverse than other small towns (it has a mosque which you would NEVER find in Winthrop- not open minded here at all). Unfortunately, all towns are not working parent friendly, from what I've heard and experienced myself. You have to work it out yourself where I live too. Half days galore, school vacations, and even worse, VERY limited after school programs and practically nothing for the kids in the summer. The parks and rec camp here is horrible unless you are a jock, nothing except sports is on the program....and there are no YMCA camps except for Boston run ones for inner city kids which is ok, but I'd like something where they can spend time outside, in nature; most stuff is inside except for the city run sailing programs, which are only for one week. So you can see on that respect, Sharon is a major improvement over where I am now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2010, 06:28 AM
 
Location: Sharon, MA
366 posts, read 826,190 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauliza View Post
A&D-
Have you had experience with both the elementary and middle schools?
No, both of my children are in elementary school, and I don't know anyone who has accessed the services in either middle or high school.

Quote:
I have done a little research and it seems that the Cottage school is the more "desireable" one. Do you know about the other 2 elementary schools?
Yet again, your difficulty is not the schools, it's finding rentals within the boundary for the school you want to attend. Please let me reiterate the scarcity of rentals in Sharon, especially with more than 2 bedrooms. If money is not an object, I do know of a house that feeds to Cottage that rents for $2800/month. And its the only one I know of. My children do not attend Cottage. My son is in the ASD program in Sharon, which is run out of one of the other elementary schools.

Quote:
Also, do you know how the special ed teams are in terms of offering services that the child is entitled to or that the parent feels are neccessary? I know all schools try to keep special ed costs down but some honor it more than others. But Autistic Spectrum kids can be difficult for a school to handle...
Sharon has been very easy for me to work with, and have been receptive to the evals I send in from outside professionals. Sharon, as a district, is not poor and has the resources to provide for it's population. I would not expect to successfully advocate for an out-of-district placement should you feel it necessary. They rightfully feel that their program is more than sufficient.

Although I will say that I have a different mentality than some, and choose to supplement my son's needs with outside services at the expense of my insurance. It gives me more control over what he works on.

Quote:
I like the fact that it seems more diverse than other small towns (it has a mosque which you would NEVER find in Winthrop- not open minded here at all).
Actually, that hasn't been my impression. But it's also not high on my list of priorities so I can't say I've really looked at it. I do have an African American friend who feels that Sharon has very little sensitivity to minorities, but that's the extent of my knowledge. At the risk of offending someone, I will say that I find Sharon to be an upper class, mostly white, predominantly Jewish town. (not that that's a bad thing... channeling Seinfeld). I only meet one of the 3 criteria, and my kids have done fine here.

Last edited by AandD; 08-30-2010 at 06:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 10:12 AM
 
13 posts, read 34,628 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by AandD View Post
No, both of my children are in elementary school, and I don't know anyone who has accessed the services in either middle or high school.



Yet again, your difficulty is not the schools, it's finding rentals within the boundary for the school you want to attend. Please let me reiterate the scarcity of rentals in Sharon, especially with more than 2 bedrooms. If money is not an object, I do know of a house that feeds to Cottage that rents for $2800/month. And its the only one I know of. My children do not attend Cottage. My son is in the ASD program in Sharon, which is run out of one of the other elementary schools.



Sharon has been very easy for me to work with, and have been receptive to the evals I send in from outside professionals. Sharon, as a district, is not poor and has the resources to provide for it's population. I would not expect to successfully advocate for an out-of-district placement should you feel it necessary. They rightfully feel that their program is more than sufficient.

Although I will say that I have a different mentality than some, and choose to supplement my son's needs with outside services at the expense of my insurance. It gives me more control over what he works on.



Actually, that hasn't been my impression. But it's also not high on my list of priorities so I can't say I've really looked at it. I do have an African American friend who feels that Sharon has very little sensitivity to minorities, but that's the extent of my knowledge. At the risk of offending someone, I will say that I find Sharon to be an upper class, mostly white, predominantly Jewish town. (not that that's a bad thing... channeling Seinfeld). I only meet one of the 3 criteria, and my kids have done fine here.
Thank you for your help. As I am not in the position to move right now anyway (am trying to research for the next year or 2), it's possible my financial situation will improve by then. Based on research I've done with RE agents in the area, you are right on about the rentals, that will be a tough one. Probably available more through word of mouth than RE agents...But still when compared to Bedford, Brookline, Lexington, Westwood, etc., where you essentially have to be wealthy to live there and there are few rentals as well, Sharon is worth a shot. So I guess if I plug away for a year or so, hopefully I can find something. However, my daughters do NOT need to go to the Cottage School- if the other school actually have an ASD program that is amazing and where I would want her. Could you write more about this program, if you don't mind? Right now all my daughter gets is reading/speech & and a 10 minute per week social skills group during lunch. We also get a home trainer for me, because the principal felt that I was unable to control her behavior. I take her to a behavioral psychologist in Wellesley as well and will pursue outside OT, since the school refuses to put it in her IEP (Winthrop also does not have a SEPAC either.).

Diversity is not my biggest concern either, as like you I only fit into one of the three categories, and I imagine my kids will do fine. Even though only one has Aspergers, the others are "quirky" (my 10 year old son has ADD) as well and need a school system that offers the best educationally as well as more than just sports socially- at least a band or music or art program (in middle and high school, we have none of this- and the elementary music teacher volunteers because they cut music last year)

I realize that a large portion of Sharon is upper middle class (my sister and law who wants to move there is a doctor in Providence and she has many co-workers who live there) but from people I know who are familiar with it...it has a range of residents in different economic situations- no low income people I am aware, but more middle to upper middle class. So, it probably isn't too different from a town like Swampcott on the North Shore or probably Easton or Stoughton on the South, just better schools, and great recreation I've heard. Plus, it appears that the surrounding towns like Canton and Walpole offer much in the way of services, do you find this to be true? The North Shore has very little- I have to travel for everything really. Maybe I will check in with you to see if you ever hear about any rentals Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
 
Location: Sharon, MA
366 posts, read 826,190 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauliza View Post
However, my daughters do NOT need to go to the Cottage School- if the other school actually have an ASD program that is amazing and where I would want her. Could you write more about this program, if you don't mind?
It's a cooperative classroom approach with NECC. There were, in 2009, about 10 districts with NECC programs. I'm sure that number has grown substantially, but I'm not sure where. Wrentham also has a NECC program, and probably more options in rentals. I didn't like the fact that Wrentham fed into a regional high school (my own personal choices), but in hindsight given that we won't be in MA for high school now, it might have been a more financially viable choice for us.

Quote:
Right now all my daughter gets is reading/speech & and a 10 minute per week social skills group during lunch. We also get a home trainer for me, because the principal felt that I was unable to control her behavior. I take her to a behavioral psychologist in Wellesley as well and will pursue outside OT, since the school refuses to put it in her IEP (Winthrop also does not have a SEPAC either.).
He gets ST and OT pull outs. He doesnt get social skills training per se, because he has a 1-1 aide that negotiates all of that for him. We get home training once per month, and use it to help my older son learn to deal with his brother.

Quote:
Even though only one has Aspergers, the others are "quirky" (my 10 year old son has ADD) as well and need a school system that offers the best educationally as well as more than just sports socially- at least a band or music or art program (in middle and high school, we have none of this- and the elementary music teacher volunteers because they cut music last year)
I have to say I got quite a nasty surprise this year. For all of my love of the Sharon district, my ADHD child scored only in the 18% percentile on the MCAS! He currently has a 504 with reading and math pull-outs and a social skills class (for his co-morbid psych issues). This is a MAJOR issue with a high performing district like Sharon. Lower performing kids not on a special education plan can fall through the cracks. his handwriting is at about a 1st grade level, and illegible.

I sent an email to the principal, and she spoke to all of his specialists. We are going with a technology support for his writing for the time being, and increasing his in and out of school OT. I am going to try changing his medication, and probably pull him over to an IEP. His principal was completely supportive and told me several times that we would do whatever I felt he needed. While I *LOVE* the support - I, as a parent, am also looking for guidance from the school. So that's a story in progress.

Quote:
So, it probably isn't too different from a town like Swampcott on the North Shore or probably Easton or Stoughton on the South, just better schools, and great recreation I've heard. Plus, it appears that the surrounding towns like Canton and Walpole offer much in the way of services, do you find this to be true?
Yes, Sharon, while having very little to offer in it's own right as far as 'services', is close enough that accessing them is not an issue.

Best of luck on your search.

Last edited by AandD; 10-06-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,781 times
Reputation: 10
@ Movetoco? : Hello! Just saw your post. Sounds like a great school! What is the name of the school? We're in WA and planning a move to Boston with our 7 y.o. son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-28-2012, 12:24 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,656 times
Reputation: 10
Just because a school rates in the top for mass public schools, does not mean that they have a good ABA program at all. I have see this first hand. Shrewsbury does great with general education but their ABA program is mortifying, unprofessional, and uncertified. They have untrained ABA staff, and supervisors who know nothing of Applied Behavior Analysis. You should look for schools that have certified ABA technicians. Certification can be acquired through many programs offered at mass colleges, including Endicott. Worcester has an excellent ABA program in several schools throughout the disctrict, with trained BCBA's and trained ABA technicians. Schools whom have partner programs with NECC I believe would also be an excellent choice. Marlborough also has a despicable ABA program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-30-2012, 07:10 PM
 
23 posts, read 36,956 times
Reputation: 17
If you're in Lynn, check out both the Marblehead and Swampscott school systems. I know that Marblehead has an advisory council (http://seacomonline.org/) that would be a good place to start. Both towns can be a bit pricy, but are well worth it.

Message me if you have any questions and good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2012, 07:24 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,545 times
Reputation: 10
Hello I have an autistic 6yr old child. I was thinking of relocating to the us. Where would be a good state and city to go for autism services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:08 PM
 
17 posts, read 30,483 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaldez View Post
Just because a school rates in the top for mass public schools, does not mean that they have a good ABA program at all. I have see this first hand. Shrewsbury does great with general education but their ABA program is mortifying, unprofessional, and uncertified. They have untrained ABA staff, and supervisors who know nothing of Applied Behavior Analysis. You should look for schools that have certified ABA technicians. Certification can be acquired through many programs offered at mass colleges, including Endicott. Worcester has an excellent ABA program in several schools throughout the disctrict, with trained BCBA's and trained ABA technicians. Schools whom have partner programs with NECC I believe would also be an excellent choice. Marlborough also has a despicable ABA program.

How can I find out which schools have NECC Programs ? Will NECC share that information ? You also mentioned, Marlborough has a despicable ABA program ... Do Marlborough schools dont provide ABA or provide ABA through untrained technicians or what seems to be the issue ? do you know of Sp Ed services in surrounding towns like Southborough, Northborough, Westborough school districts ? I am looking to move to Marlborough for a job so trying to find out info about Special ED there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM
 
1 posts, read 3,400 times
Reputation: 10
I have a 14 years daughter who is on IEP, I want to move from Florida to MA, I am a Certify Nurse Assistant and also have a Bachelor in Health Science, I have some intern experience on Geriatric social Work. I can't found any Job beside CNA. First what is the best place to live with my daughter? and would it be easer to found job with my degree there? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top