Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM

502 posts, read 1,391,525 times

Advertisements

We're looking to move back to New England next year (in NC temporarily), and planning a 4-5 day trip in early October back to north central CT which is "home" to us... just a leafing trip and to duck into some of our favorite haunts in the Farmington Valley and saying "hi" to some people.

I've always wondered about Sandwich in particular as a possible place we might enjoy as a candidate to relocate to. Sandwich comes to mind because I've read it's off the beaten tourist rush to the rest of the Cape in the Summer. We're thinking of penciling it into our trip. I don't think we'd have much time but maybe a drive up from Hartford area and an overnight stay.

I'm presuming October will not be an accurate gauge of wether we'd like it there... but I'm not quite sure where to begin to wonder what to do with about 48 hours there. I think if we like it, (we'd be renting in CT for a while) we'll definitely be back in the summer to explore more. I'm welcoming any suggestions on where to start with my curiosity. (We aren't concerned with employment as we are self-employed at home).

Should we be checking out availability of yearly rentals while there for Spring '10? Suggestions??? We've never been to the Cape, or anywhere near Boston before. (But do have a shelf full of NE books which include Cape Cod and etc....that I should be less lazy about reading!! )

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 09:05 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
October is a great time of the year to come to the Cape. I don't know why anyone would say Sandwich is off the beaten path of the Cape. It's the first town over the bridge. lol

There are quite a few threads on here about the Cape already and Sandwich and their school system in particular. Why don't you read through some of them and then come back and ask more directed questions with which those of us who live here year round could help you with.

The Cape is at its best in the off season. We have an extended fall because the water is still warm, but the beaches are empty and the roads are too for the most part. They get a little fuller on weekends, but not so much that you can't get around.

Old 08-01-2009, 09:45 PM

136 posts, read 462,519 times
Regardless of town, there are some realities of Cape living including:
- Weather. It's hanging out in the Atlantic and gets more than it's fair share of weather. Wind, rain, snow, you name it. Temps will be cooler in the summer (5 or more degrees) but not much warmer in the winter.
- Insurance. Companies are pulling out, be prepared to pay a premium premium
- Tourists. Great for the local economy, but you essentially live on an island with two bridges (and a tunnel if you believe those permits you might see around) You'll have to plan your 'off Cape' travels to coordinate around when all the tourists are coming/going. Having grown up in the Berkshires, the general trend is that tourists are also jerks. When they do leave, so might the owners of your favorite stores and restaurants until next summer.
- Geography. You're far away from everything, down in the corner of NE. VT might as well be another country.
- Costs of goods, shopping choices. I'll let others who are actually from the Cape post specifics, but my sense is that the cost of food, fuel, etc. is likely higher due to transportation costs and lack of competition. You might also have to plan your 'off Cape' trips to visit your preferred stores. (No Lowes or Target, for example; 1 Wal Mart)

Old 08-02-2009, 06:10 AM

oops see below

Last edited by itscolduphere; 08-02-2009 at 06:59 AM..

Old 08-02-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
I don't know why anyone would say Sandwich is off the beaten path of the Cape. It's the first town over the bridge. lol
From "Cape Cod Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket - An Explorer's Guide" by Kim Grant, Sixth Edition, page 47:
"Sandwich is calm, even in the height of summer. Many visitors whiz right by it, eager to get farther away from the "mainland". Even people who know about delightful Sandwich Village often hop back onto Route 6 without poking around the rest of Sandwich - the back roads and historic houses off the beaten path. Those who take the time to explore will find that Sandwich is a real gem."

I guess this is why I had the idea that Sandwich was one of the quieter towns to dwell in, if one chose to live on the Cape year round. So I'm glad I asked because I'm wondering wether or not to believe what I read. Those in the know are welcomed to comment on wether or not what I read is true.... the more opinions the better!

My house/petsitter cannot fill in long enough for us to whiz up there in Oct. but we will explore the cape in Summer '10. This winter I will dive into my books and actually read them more instead of just admiring the pictures and captions. Sounds like a magical place ideal for a second home at the very least. I could walk beaches forever.... esp. in off season :-)

Old 08-02-2009, 09:57 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,077,414 times
I'm back to the Cape in Feb. for good! I miss it terribly, mostly the beach town fibe! The fact that every summer you just walk out your door and are on vacation(with people in all their crowded glory, every fall you are in heaven, and you have a winter without too much fuss.
I will even love the bitching about summer visitors in the summer. We do it here in the winter, about you snowbirds! ha ha Now I will be one!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:01 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
That's the right attitude Twiggy!!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itscolduphere View Post
From "Cape Cod Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket - An Explorer's Guide" by Kim Grant, Sixth Edition, page 47:
"Sandwich is calm, even in the height of summer. Many visitors whiz right by it, eager to get farther away from the "mainland". Even people who know about delightful Sandwich Village often hop back onto Route 6 without poking around the rest of Sandwich - the back roads and historic houses off the beaten path. Those who take the time to explore will find that Sandwich is a real gem."

I guess this is why I had the idea that Sandwich was one of the quieter towns to dwell in, if one chose to live on the Cape year round. So I'm glad I asked because I'm wondering wether or not to believe what I read. Those in the know are welcomed to comment on wether or not what I read is true.... the more opinions the better!

My house/petsitter cannot fill in long enough for us to whiz up there in Oct. but we will explore the cape in Summer '10. This winter I will dive into my books and actually read them more instead of just admiring the pictures and captions. Sounds like a magical place ideal for a second home at the very least. I could walk beaches forever.... esp. in off season :-)
Don't know her, never heard of her, so I don't know why she's considered any type of expert on the area.

Sandwich gets plenty of activity during tourist season and it's a serious option for people who want to live on Cape, but commute to Boston and burbs for work each day.

All the towns on the Cape are quiet to live in compared to most places you would compare them to, except for in season. Even Falmouth and Hyannis are relatively quiet places.

You really have to come see for yourself. Nothing we say will make or break the Cape dream for you. It's a personal choice.

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,995,488 times
Spoken like a true Cape Codder.....as she sits on her fifth wheel!!!! Tee hee

Old 08-02-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScituateAl View Post
Regardless of town, there are some realities of Cape living including:
- Weather. It's hanging out in the Atlantic and gets more than it's fair share of weather. Wind, rain, snow, you name it. Temps will be cooler in the summer (5 or more degrees) but not much warmer in the winter.

The Cape at its widest point is 6 miles wide. So our weather is predicted often by the warmth of the sea and the winds over the water. The adage, if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes and it will change is appropriate here. lol That's not all bad.

We generally have a later spring than the mainland, but a longer, warmer fall than they do. We don't usually see a frost til just about Halloween, sometimes later than that. We don't usually get much snow. If we do, it doesn't tend to last long because of the salt air and it usually warms up and rain will wash it away. And I disagree, we are generally much warmer down here than off Cape in the winter. By 5-10 degrees and we have more moisture in the air, so it doesn't feel as frigid as inland a few hours and up in the hills, etc. where their snow lasts for weeks if not months.

Our weather pattern is usually such that if storms come from the Ohio area, it misses us and hits Boston and points north. If a weather pattern comes up the eastern seaboard, that is when we will likely get clobbered. Especially in the winter with a blizzard if that happens.

- Insurance. Companies are pulling out, be prepared to pay a premium premium

My insurance went up $200. After insuring my home here for 30 years, I can tell you, I now over the course of 30 years, pay $800 more than I did when I bought it in '79. Big whoop.

- Tourists. Great for the local economy, but you essentially live on an island with two bridges (and a tunnel if you believe those permits you might see around) You'll have to plan your 'off Cape' travels to coordinate around when all the tourists are coming/going. This is true for the months of July and August... plan to leave early on a Saturday or Sunday to get off Cape due to weekly change overs on the cottages. Thursday or Friday nights coming on Cape... do so in the early afternoon if you've traveled off Cape or late at night to avoid the peak weekend travelers. You adjust and don't mind doing so because you know you live in a wonderful place. It's a fair trade off.

Having grown up in the Berkshires, the general trend is that tourists are also jerks. When they do leave, so might the owners of your favorite stores and restaurants until next summer.
That is hooey. 99.99% of places stay open year round now or might close for the month of February if it's a bad economy. Most don't close... just clam shacks, etc... but if you live here year round you don't frequent those places anyway.

- Geography. You're far away from everything, down in the corner of NE. VT might as well be another country. Sorry, but I travel to Maine, NH, and VT all the time. It's a 5 hour ride to where I come in Maine. Trust me, it's not another country. VT is, but that's because of their politics, not the distance!

- Costs of goods, shopping choices. I'll let others who are actually from the Cape post specifics, that's a great idea! but my sense is that the cost of food, fuel, etc. is likely higher due to transportation costs and lack of competition. You might also have to plan your 'off Cape' trips to visit your preferred stores. (No Lowes or Target, for example; 1 Wal Mart)
Yes, you do have to plan trips to Lowe's or Target if you want to go to them. What's the problem with that? There's a Lowe's and a Target in Wareham. From Brewster where I live, it's a 25-30 minute ride. How often do you really need to go there? You also can shop them online and have things sent to you. Again, it's a trade off.

I've lived here 30 years and 15 years ago, if I wanted things at Home Depot, I had to travel to Dartmouth. It was a great day and a reason to get off Cape. It was fun to take the kids to Olive Garden and hit the other stores in the area.

These are minor inconveniences. There is a Walmart in Falmouth, Wareham, and Plymouth. Depending where you live, it's not a big deal to skip on down to one of them. Might be a little annoying if you lived in P'town, but I doubt you care about that if you're down there. You already knew the score before you bought on the lower Cape.

The higher costs of goods on the Cape is a scam and it's been going on forever. It's another adjustment. It's not exhorbitant. And it's a worthy trade for living in a wonderfully beautiful place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts