Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 3,488 times

Advertisements

Hello!

After looking around a bit on the site, I noticed most "Which town?" threads were geared more towards families and young couples which don't apply to me much.

I'm a 21 year old female from New Jersey planning to move to Massachusetts on my own because I find the state to be so beautiful, and Boston to be so fun (and a lot less superficial than Manhattan ).

So far, I've had my sights set on Danvers, Beverly, and Salem but I would like more possibilities and advice on the matter.

Specifically, what I am looking for is a town on the east side of Massachusetts (to be closer to Boston) that has a lot of culture within itself. A town that is charming, but not boring for my age group. I don't need a wild nightlife, but a nice downtown would be wonderful with a friendly community. A place I may be able to make friends and enjoy diversity.

I LOVE Salem because it has all that I want but I hear that parts of the town aren't as safe anymore with gangs coming in and the traffic is heinous which makes me wonder if there may be a safer or better option.

So, could anyone recommend any towns similar to what I aim for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 01:14 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,110,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerSe7en View Post
I LOVE Salem because it has all that I want but I hear that parts of the town aren't as safe anymore with gangs coming in and the traffic is heinous which makes me wonder if there may be a safer or better option.
I have a cousin whose in her early 30's and lives in downtown Salem (near the court house) and she's never had a problem. I'm going to guess any talk of gang activity in Salem is grossly exaggerated. Not saying the city doesn't have its problems, but it's not Lynn or Chelsea. And in turn, Lynn and Chelsea aren't Chicago. I wouldn't let it deter me from moving there.

Beverly is a fine option as well. Both cities have stops on the commuter rail, and would be my first choices if I were to move north of the city. Danvers on the other hand is a little sleepy. More family oriented.

Old 08-03-2009, 04:21 PM

18,715 posts, read 33,376,773 times
A number of my coworkers have moved to Salem and bought nice condos and love the downtown. It's relatively easy to ride commuter rail to Boston if that's where your job is.
I think the somewhat low-life edges of Salem are pretty obvious on sight.
I don't know if there's any nightlife for someone the OP's age. When I was 21, I lived in Brookline, near Allston, like everyone else my age. When I started working in Cambridg, I moved over there. But then, I wasn't into a nightlife scene per se, but liked (Loved!) restaurants and cultural things and jazz clubs.
Best wishes on your move.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:15 PM

2,440 posts, read 4,835,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
When I was 21, I lived in Brookline, near Allston, like everyone else my age.
I would take the hint: while you certainly could move to Danvers or Beverly or Salem, landing in Boston-Brookline-Cambridge-Somerville is a much safer move for an unattached young adult. There's a huge social infrastructure for young adults there and almost none outside the immediate Boston area. At least that's my sense of things. The other sure thing (socially) is the Amherst-Northampton area. Otherwise you risk being isolated. I could be wrong, but that's my sense of things.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:37 AM

2 posts, read 3,488 times
Thanks, everyone! I'll definitely do research and take a visit of all suggested towns.

Haha, I'm glad that Salem isn't so bad as some people on these forums have seemed to make it. I was getting a little crestfallen from some of what I had read.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:54 PM

613 posts, read 2,307,215 times
Reading this thread, I was thinking that the big obstacle for a 21 yr old in Salem would be meeting people in that age group. But Salem does have a college (Salem State). I don't know how big of a commuter school it is, but that would bring in people in their early 20s.

Old 08-09-2009, 07:17 AM
miu

17,767 posts, read 40,161,054 times
I lived in Cambridge near Central Square in my 20's and loved it. Right now, most of the young people I work with live in Somerville and Allston, but most of them are college students.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:35 PM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,136 times
Cool Salem

Definitely look at Salem
there's a lot to do in a tourist town especially around Halloween when they have haunted happenings all month long. There's also a college there. Salem State College. its overall a nice place, with easy access to town via commuter rail, and fairly affordable housing. Its a walkable city as well. -
lots of interesting witchy shops and eateries around to check out and explore.
its fun to be in a historical town too.

You will be close to cape ann as well and the beaches around ipswich and North Shore ---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts