Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 6,140 times

Advertisements

I agree that it would be tough in that price range for family oriented. There are lots of two family homes in Belmont that are affordable however (not THAT affordable though) and you have access to the excellent schools - its only about 20 min to central square and on the bus line straight to cambridge. So you'll have to make the inevitable convenience/price tradeoff that all Bostonians must make. Spend an hour + commuting with better digs or spend less time commuting to lesser digs.... Best way is to come and see for yourself. I went through such sticker shock when I moved here. I couldn't believe people would pay 500k for a dumpy cramped 2 BR cape in need of being razed to the ground but that is Boston. It is such a cool city though- people pay through the nose to live here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:56 PM

21 posts, read 90,033 times
I guess it depends on what you mean by "family oriented" and "conservative" but I think most of the towns in the Route 2 area past 495 could fit the bill. If you are interested in taking the commuter rail, the Fitchburg line which has a direct stop in Cambridge, is all along the Route 2 area. Harvard (the town) is country like, has good schools, and is located right off of Route 2. You might be in for some sticker shock though. Acton is in that area and I know I've seen some reasonably priced places there.

Old 09-20-2009, 06:16 PM

82 posts, read 287,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioak36 View Post
Why would a town that is "liberal" not be family oriented???????
Massachusetts has the lowest divorce rate in the nation, and traditionally 'conservative' states like TX, MS, and GA have the highest divorce rates. So it seems that the most 'liberal' state has the strongest family values.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 PM

227 posts, read 607,876 times
I just think they mean that they don't want to live by a lot of college kids, or "alternative lifestyle" folks... probably a nice vanilla suburb convenient to kid friendly entertainment.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
Really, how does one define "conservative?" Are such leanings more influenced by state politics/mores than town by town? After we get past being a "sanctuary city," and seeing such things as Cambridge solemnly voting to stay out of El Salvador (I'm sure El Salvador was relieved) I'm not sure how one town or area would express conservative or liberal leanings.

Old 09-21-2009, 09:46 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope01 View Post
Thanks for the info. Yes, cost is a concern - it seems that all of the rentals require first and last months rent plus a security deposit of the same. I have not encountered that before.
What you're probably accustomed to is surety bond deposits. For some reason that is not done in New England. Just months and months of deposits.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 AM

257 posts, read 619,080 times
If you're still interested in New Hampshire, I would just suggest the southern seacoast. If you're commutes take you to north shore/Boston/Cambridge, Seabrook is nice because you avoid one more toll over those other towns.

If you mean "politically conservative," I would want to live in Massachusetts. There are far too many people down there who view any belief in the Constitution, liberty, or free markets as a sign of "lack of education." It's difficult to hang around some of those people because they are so forceful in holding to those opinions.

Old 09-25-2009, 11:50 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,985,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxoccupancy View Post
If you mean "politically conservative," I would want to live in Massachusetts. There are far too many people down there who view any belief in the Constitution, liberty, or free markets as a sign of "lack of education." It's difficult to hang around some of those people because they are so forceful in holding to those opinions.
Don't you mean WOULDN'T want to live in MA?

Old 09-28-2009, 07:53 AM

7 posts, read 26,978 times
This town never gets mentioned, but if you consider things from a political standpoint North Reading is pretty conservative... If I remember correctly it voted for Bush against Kerry and for McCain against Obama. The town is served by Republicans in the State House and Senate. North Reading is pretty family oriented and has activities at some local parks throughout the year.

In terms of commuting it will be a bit of a hike, but if you're looking in New Hampshire this will be fine too.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:19 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,363,275 times
In 2004, Mass. overall went 60% Kerry, 40% Bush. That's pretty close for our own senator.
I can't really think of any place that is "conservative," although I can think of places that are considered liberal, like Harvard (the town), Acton, Concord. But these are expensive places- limo liberals?
I think the OP would just want to avoid the neighborhoods that are full of students, transients, and other non-family people. Like Jamaica Plain, or Cambridge or the South End. I can't think of any towns, small or otherwise, that is really conservative or, for that matter, really liberal. I think people mind their own businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts