Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM

14 posts, read 277,769 times

Advertisements

We are a married couple (28 & 31), looking to move out of NYS. We love the Boston area, however just can't afford that yet. We are also planning on starting a family in the next couple of years. Our problem is we just don't know where to start looking as far as family friendly, decent job market, safety and affordability. My husband is also a union plumber here in NY and we're not sure of the possibility of transferring to one in Mass if anyone is familiar with that?

Just looking for starting points if you have any suggestions. We'd prefer to be further east, but it seems to get more and more expensive the further east you go. We are pretty flexible on locations and open to suggestions at this point. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 09:25 AM

613 posts, read 2,307,346 times
It's true that it gets more expensive the closer you get to Boston. As long as neither one of you is commuting into the immediate Boston area on a daily basis, you should consider towns closer to Worcester. Housing is less expensive, but you're less than an hour from downtown Boston in non rush hour traffic.

You could also go north into NH. Just over the border is less an hour or so from Boston in non rush hr , and the cost of living is much cheaper.

Old 08-12-2009, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 306,920 times
Hello,
If you could give a little info as far as... Are you thinking about buying or renting? What price range would you be looking in? Are you outdoorsy people or more urban type? Do you need to be near public transportation?...that kind of stuff.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times
I know that the license's in MA for plumbers can only be transfered throughout New England. My husband is licensed plumber in AZ but has to do an apprentice in MA and get a new license. I'm not totally sure about NY? I'm moving to the South Shore, a little bit warmer, and I use to live their many moons ago. lol

Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
I'm moving to the South Shore, a little bit warmer, and I use to live their many moons ago. lol
Where abouts on the South Shore?...thats where I live and work. How long has it been since you've been here?

Old 08-12-2009, 11:13 AM

Well, its down on the Cape, probably Bourne, we'll be there in Feb. to check it out. Not sure which town we will land on as of yet but I use to live in Buzzards Bay, on Lincoln St. before the bridge on Buttermilk Bay. Figure I'd take advantage of a winter rental and make sure we are close to everything (schools, etc.) before settling down. I've been told it's changed quite a bit so we will see. lol

Old 08-12-2009, 11:43 AM

wow thats funny...I was just down by Lincoln Street Sunday. I was showing a rental on Main St. directly across from Buzzards Bay Park(where they have festivals)and Mass Maritime entrance.

Not to much has changed in that area...although that depends on how long you've been away. The canal is still there...ha ha

They are putting the new school right along the canal(mainland side) off of Rte 6.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Ha ha, I know, that place was always sort of in a "time warp" compared to the other towns. I lived in the big (well, was white) house on Lincoln and Electric. NE corner, (up from the little beach and playground) Don't know if those swings are still there? I heard the people who bought our house cleared the trees off in the back, added an upstairs porch and now have a great view of Buttermilk Bay. I also heard there is a new roadway across the bridge? Wider or more lanes? I bet it's a little easier to cross in the summer. lol Other than that my aunt says it's the same old little town it's always been. She lives on Lafyette? Just up the road from the old house. Use to walk back and forth when I was a teen to take care of her cats. She has plenty of them, ha ha.
Yea, I'm hoping it's the same, I really miss the feel of it there, I would love my kids to experience some "beach town" living. I know I will freeze at first but I am sort of excited to see the snow myself. lol

Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 277,769 times
I guess we are flexible as far as buying/renting goes, and our range depends on the return on our house in NY, probably somewhere in the 200's... we have 2 relatively large dogs, which generally makes it difficult to rent. We enjoy both the outdoorsy and the urban... i guess somewhere in between. Not sure about the transportation. We are pretty flexible on the location relative to Boston. I'd just like to familiarize myself with a few possible areas as a jumping off point, then we can see what jobs oppurtunities there may be. Thanks for any help.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:24 PM

18,717 posts, read 33,380,506 times
My guess is there are more jobs as you follow the populated (and more expensive) areas- along the coast and draw a circle around Boston and the metro area. As you go central and certainly as you go to western Mass., it all drops off.
Could you get some leads from union halls? I imagine they'd be closer to work than not
Like so many places, I think the job might come first before the town. Things haven't collapsed here, but they sure are... slow.
Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts