Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2022, 09:04 PM

23,560 posts, read 18,707,417 times

Advertisements

Let them roast his cajones (assuming they exist). Making Brockton-by-the-Sea proud...

https://www.wpri.com/new-england/mas...hool-shooting/

"BARNSTABLE, Mass. (WPRI) — A Cape Cod man is accused of threatening to commit a school shooting at an unnamed location, according to Barnstable police.
Justin Moreira, 29, of Hyannis was taken into custody on Saturday after Barnstable and Yarmouth police received multiple reports about a threatening Facebook post.
Investigators executed a search warrant at Moreira’s home and found no firearms, according to police.
Moreira is charged with Making Terroristic Threats and ordered held without bail. He is due in Barnstable District Court on Tuesday."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2022, 04:45 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
The average American, circa 2022. What could possibly go wrong?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLucTYyRILc

Old 05-30-2022, 06:11 AM

5,109 posts, read 2,668,728 times
^ Not the average American nor an identified murderer. But, as obnoxious as he may be, if a mass murderer comes around I don't think any sane person will be complaining if he also happens to be in the area with his weapon. That said, those who politicize the deaths of children while ignoring the murders that happen everyday in cities across America are disgusting.

Old 05-30-2022, 06:58 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
^ Not the average American nor an identified murderer. But, as obnoxious as he may be, if a mass murderer comes around I don't think any sane person will be complaining if he also happens to be in the area with his weapon. That said, those who politicize the deaths of children while ignoring the murders that happen everyday in cities across America are disgusting.
With his aim? I don't think I'd be happy to have that particular guy anywhere near a volatile situation.

And, what exactly, are people moved by a particular tragedy supposed to? The gun control advocates I know have been pushing for political action since before Columbine. Politically, Americans have a finite attention span and jump from one tragedy to the next. After a tragedy is always the time to push for political action, especially when it is of the "if we don't act, this will happen again" variety.

What is the alternative in your mind? Oh no, a senseless tragedy. I guess there is nothing we can do about because that would be disgusting.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
With his aim? I don't think I'd be happy to have that particular guy anywhere near a volatile situation.

And, what exactly, are people moved by a particular tragedy supposed to? The gun control advocates I know have been pushing for political action since before Columbine. Politically, Americans have a finite attention span and jump from one tragedy to the next. After a tragedy is always the time to push for political action, especially when it is of the "if we don't act, this will happen again" variety.

What is the alternative in your mind? Oh no, a senseless tragedy. I guess there is nothing we can do about because that would be disgusting.
There's tragedy everyday involving firearms as well as other weapons. The root causes are generally not the weapons themselves. Young blacks are murdered on a daily basis. I don't see anybody from Washington on the streets of Chicago after a weekend of bloody murders. I don't see the same outrage. What is the proposal that will supposedly mitigate the issue? Politicizing school shootings serves only one purpose. It galvanizes those who share your political ideology to make it feel like they are "doing something." Empty "feel good" political rhetoric. Is the goal to confiscate all firearms in the US? If so, that's just not going to happen. I'm all for the regulation of firearms if those regulations actually mitigate a problem and states are the ones empowered to do it. What specifically are the proposals and how specifically will they prevent such tragedies?

Old 05-30-2022, 07:06 AM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:

He looks like a member of Meal Team Six. If he were put in a situation I doubt he'd be able to actually get that thing to fire.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:19 AM

Quote:
And, believe me, if you were crouching behind a desk listening to an active shooter pop off one office mate after another, you would be open to seeing ANY friendly armed intervention available. I can assure you of that.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:28 AM

16,400 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
And, believe me, if you were crouching behind a desk listening to an active shooter pop off one office mate after another, you would be open to seeing ANY friendly armed intervention available. I can assure you of that.
I think the point on much of this though is that it’s disgusting that this idiot 18 yr old was allowed to buy all these guns and ammunition on his 18th bday. Same with the Buffalo shooter. Yes I’m happy the border patrol agent came in with his gun and stopped this…but it wouldn’t have happened had we had better laws in place about who ‘gets’ to buy a gun. This idiot couldn’t even buy a beer but he could buy 6k worth of guns. It’s easier to buy a gun than to get things you need for healthcare (wheelchair for example). I think we had to do more to get a pass for the beach than these mentally ill teens did to get a gun. Something needs to change. I don’t want my son marching off to buy a gun on his 18th bday if he feels like it.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think the point on much of this though is that it’s disgusting that this idiot 18 yr old was allowed to buy all these guns and ammunition on his 18th bday. Same with the Buffalo shooter. Yes I’m happy the border patrol agent came in with his gun and stopped this…but it wouldn’t have happened had we had better laws in place about who ‘gets’ to buy a gun. This idiot couldn’t even buy a beer but he could buy 6k worth of guns. It’s easier to buy a gun than to get things you need for healthcare (wheelchair for example). I think we had to do more to get a pass for the beach than these mentally ill teens did to get a gun. Something needs to change. I don’t want my son marching off to buy a gun on his 18th bday if he feels like it.
I'm all for background checks and waiting periods but 90 percent of guns used in crimes are obtained illegally. You don't want an 18 year old able to obtain a firearm. Okay, does 21 work? Not that this prevents someone from getting a firearm illegally. An 18 year old can go to the recruiting office and join the military, can vote, and can operate a several ton piece of steel on the roadways. Not sure I'm getting your logic.

Old 05-30-2022, 07:41 AM

BTW: Days after the TX shooting the California Senate repealed a law that requires schools to notify law enforcement when a student threatens violence against school officials. https://aclucalaction.org/bill/sb-1273-bradford/

A study showed that in 77 percent of school shooting cases at least one person knew of the plan and even higher percentage noticed concerning behaviors. Yet they are ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts