U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-16-2009, 12:37 PM

16 posts, read 24,448 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to buy our first place and are hoping to get out of the city to a quieter, more family oriented town on the South Shore. We're not rich by any means, so we've been looking at Marshfield, which seems to have some reasonably priced homes with good sized lots. The proximity to the water is a huge plus for us too.

I've read the statistics, but it's hard to get a real feel for the atmosphere of a place through crime stat percentages, so I'm hoping that some "locals" can help us out. There are a couple of places that caught our interest in the Kent Park neighborhood, but my husband heard from a coworker that it used to be a rough neighborhood. Rough like Dorchester or rough like maybe people just aren't as well off as they are in Hingham or Duxbury? What are the locals like (friendly, down to earth, is there a community feel?) and what is "normal" as far as crime, vandalism, and drugs?

I've had a long look at the Marshfield town site and related links and it looks like there's a lot going on as far as recreation and the school system seems to be good. I guess it's the crime that I'm most concerned about. Also, I know that there was a hate crime in Marshfield a few years back - this causes me much concern and any input on "race relations" and community atmosphere would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,598,123 times
What are the crimes you are reading about? I do not think there is alot of violent crime in Marshfield. Many south shore towns are dealing with alot of larceny, breaking and entering etc but I think it is more of a sign of the tough economic times and not an indication that a particular town is "Bad".

Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM

68 posts, read 187,356 times
Kent Park used to be referred to as the slum of Marshfield by many. It has come a long way since then. There are some very nice homes there now, but there are still a few spots that are rough as well. It saw alot of change when the housing craze was going on...good influx of new people and their money.

As for crime...I wouldn't rate Marshfield as dangerous by any means...not by a long way. The hate crime you are referring to...those idiots are going to crawl out from their rock anywhere in the world...that time happened to be Marshfield...It sucks when it happens anywhere...but I can say without hesitation that Marshfield does not a race problem...again the people who act that way need to live somewhere but Marshfield is def. not their choice destination nor is the town inviting that lifestyle.

Marshfield is pretty diverse town...almost like a lot of smaller towns formed into one. I like that myself...different is good...who wants everything the same.

Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 PM

16 posts, read 24,448 times
Wow! Great info! Thanks so much. Real opinions from real people make so much more sense than statistics! This sounds like a place that we could definitely feel good about moving to. The fact that it is comprised of a number of different neighborhoods and is not homogeneous is something that we really like. Thanks again!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:19 PM

116 posts, read 137,748 times
Marshfield is a great town. Shouldn't have a lot of problems with crime.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,471 times
We lived in Kent Park for 14 years and didn't realize we lived in the slums until I just read this post.
I raised my children and there and we all loved it.

Old 01-07-2011, 03:27 PM

2,489 posts, read 1,335,035 times
I'm not far from it...I can't think of that much in the way of crime I mean it's not crime free. Vandalism? I don't think there's any. I don't think you'd see much of that unless you go into a more urban area.

I know it sounds basic but lock your house and car. There's been thefts but that's from unlocked ones..it's more of a economic thing these days than anything else.

If you read the police logs in the surrounding area yes there might be some drugs but this isn't an area that has a heavy amount of users strung out.

Not sure if you know but Marshfield has a large fairground area that hosts some events in the year. there's a huge flea market twice a year and there's the fair that happens every year for about a week or so. Traffic can be pretty significant but you'll know when these are months ahead of time. It's still growing. The Roche Bros opened up a few years ago and is actually pretty big, I think it's larger than the one in bridgewater (has a cafe area as well).

You'll probably hear this as well. Steven Tyler lives there. I'm not saying he's there 24/7 but don't be surprised if you see him and don't mob him either. Steve Correl (from the daily show) is also in the area.

Don't forget that coastal areas get a fair amount of traffic in the summer, especially during the fourth of july. It's larger in Plymouth but don't be surprised if rt 3 and/or rt 3a have significant traffic.

There's a fair amount of shops in town and I think there's a movie theatre in cohasett not far away.

All in all outside of dealing with traffic there's no issues. If you learn some of the backroads you can avoid other roads that tourists use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts