Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 01:03 PM

6 posts, read 15,390 times

Advertisements

Hi all you Massachusetts forum folks,

We are headed east to drop daughter at college in early September. I was wondering if any kind souls had advice on an easy place to stay near the Tufts campus where parking is not a problem, as we will no doubt be back and forth from our motel all day, loading and unloading various things throughout our visit. Also, as we will be doing some dorm room shopping; what are our best options in Somerville/Medford area for that? I guess I am thinking Target and maybe a Macys or some other decent-but-not-extravagant store for pillows/blankets and such. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 11:38 AM

59 posts, read 284,278 times
Default tufts

congrats about tufts!
tufts is in medford a close suburb of boston. you will need a car, and you will get a quick introduction to the confusing vagaries of boston driving including confusing intersections and rotaries. you can handle it! just go slow and prepare to be mystified.
closest target: 1 Mystic View Rd
Everett, MA 02149-2428
(617) 420-0001
i recommend: Hyatt Place Boston/Medford
116 Riverside Avenue
Medford, MA 02155, USA
781 395 8500
next to rt 93, but ask for a room on other side of hotel and you'll be fine, and you can walk to downtown medford

Old 08-25-2009, 12:29 PM

406 posts, read 1,496,582 times
I second redsox's recommendation for staying at the Hyatt Place--I live near there and while I've never seen the inside, it seems quite nice. There is also a hotel in Somerville called the La Quinta, I've heard mixed reviews on it but it wouldn't be too far of a drive. There's also a Holiday Inn in Somerville I believe, but it's sort of on the wrong side of the tracks and quite a ways from Tufts.

Other options are to look a bit further north, in the Woburn/Burlington area.

Just don't do what my parents did when I graduated from grad school way back when and stay in Revere "near the airport"...that is one HECK of a drive.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Thanks so much to both of you for the thoughtful and helpful information that you provided. My husband was considering the Holiday Inn Express in Somerville, so it was good to hear the input on that. Now we are looking into the motels that you suggested, and considering the budget for all of this, might very well wind up in Woburn or Burlington, so thanks for the idea.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 AM

artinlife, I just noticed your request for shopping options. Right in Medford/Somerville we have Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, Kohls and Marshalls in the 'Meadow Glen Mall', TJ Maxx/Homegoods, Christmas Tree Shops (good for wacky odds and ends), etc. etc.

I believe Target is officially in Everett but it's right past Wellington station in Medford. And they have a TON of "back to campus" stuff right now. It's practically knee-deep in beanbags in there.

(You'll also find a Family Dollar and Walgreen's right in Davis Square, super close to Tufts.)

Old 08-27-2009, 12:11 AM

Thanks, redpanda. All your shopping suggestions and info are coming with me on this trip!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
I do not know why Redsoxwalking said you need a car to get to Tufts because it is not true at all. Take your car only in the instances you are bringing things to the dormitory and be forewarned that parking lots might get crowded during moving day. In all other times, I would try to take public transit because Tufts really has only limited parking. Davis Square T station is a short walk from the campus down College Avenue.

Should you lodge in Woburn or Burlington, the biggest shopping mall up there is the Burlington Mall with some 160+ stores including Macy's, Sears, and Nordstrom. It is a typical suburban mall and is quite accessible by car and omnibus. If that sounds too much for you, then I would suggest the Woburn Mall which has less pricey stores such as TJ Maxx. There is also a Target right around the corner from the Woburn Mall.

The Target that Redpanda is talking about is in the Gateway Center and yest it is in Everett right off State Route 16. In addition to Target, you will find an Office Max (great for school supplies), a Bed, Bath, and Beyond, a Home Depot (okay you might not need this store), and several smaller stores in the center plus a Best Buy right outside.

Let me know where you eventually chose to stay and I can further help with directions.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:07 PM

Urban Peasant--it would NOT be easy to get to Tufts from any of the closest hotels without a car. Especially moving someone into a dorm.

Move-in weekend usually has its own set of rules for parking, etc.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:58 AM

59 posts, read 284,278 times
Default holla

hi again, just wanted to clarify: you will definitely need a car!
and to say that the holiday inn express you are considering is not as good a choice as one of the hotels right by 93 in woburn. burlington would be a little more of a haul, wouldn't recommend. standing by my original recommendation (i've been inside when family has stayed there, quite nice, indoor pool and breakfast treats too). good luck!

Old 08-28-2009, 07:31 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpanda View Post
Urban Peasant--it would NOT be easy to get to Tufts from any of the closest hotels without a car. Especially moving someone into a dorm.

Move-in weekend usually has its own set of rules for parking, etc.
As I said before if you read my post carefully, bring your car if you need to move stuff to the dorm. Who would ever carry heavy dormitory luggage on the T ? Yes, there are more lenient rules during Moving Day. I'm just saying that in the instances that one doesn't need a car, then I advise the person to leave it behind and take public transportation. I've been to the campus before many a time. There is little space there and even in their website, Tufts University encourages taking public transit if at all possible.

And no you are not quite right about the difficulty of taking public transportation from ALL the aforesaid hotels. The Holiday Inn Express is within blocks of Lechmere Station where the one can board the #80 bus which will go right to the front door of Tufts. The ride takes about 20 minutes only. Two other routes from that station, #87 and #88 also stop fairly close to the campus. Otherwise, just simply board the Green Line at Lechmere Station and change for the Red Line to Davis Square.

Only the hotels in Woburn and Burlington may be harder for a visitor to get to by public transit although the #350 bus to Alewife Station does stop at the Burlington Mall, which is located near many of the Burlington as do several express buses into downtown Boston like the #352 and #354. Those hotels up there cater to business people as well, which is why express buses run there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts