U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 09:28 AM

287 posts, read 601,339 times

Advertisements

As of Oct. '09 the unemployment rate in MA was 8.9%. Making us number 27th in the country. Unemployment Rates for States

Central Mass has so much to offer for those who like New England living. The three cities that were mentioned are only a small part of the many cities and towns that make up central MA. They do not define central Mass as a whole. Like most of New England, there is so much natural beauty here. Like I said, it's great if you like New England living. IE-suburban/rural settings, quiet towns, long winters...etc. I think we all find that the roads here get more effed up every year due to the winters. The roads definitely suck here. Iv'e seen both better and worse. Not many worse, though, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 19,185 times
Winchendon is nicknamed Winchen-tucky. This is for two reasons lots of incest and lots of red-necks. It is a really rural town close to NH. It is great if you like hunting.... some people are known to do it right in there backyard. There motto is "if its brown its down."

Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 AM

552 posts, read 765,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgil73 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. My husband is working in Marlborough, and we're still here in OH, so we are looking to move somewhere within an hour of Marlborough, that is within a $200k budget for a house. I would love to move to Marlborough, but is way too expensive. I am basically looking for a newer house, preferably not a starter home, and found some in Winchendon that I like and can afford, but am not sure about the town/schools. I have been looking up houses in my budget for the last month now, and have not found many...nice houses are pricey in MA, as you know. Way different from OH. But I wouldn't mind living in a more rural area, as long as there is shopping nearby and the schools are decent...hope i'm not asking for too much! lol!
Try Townsend, Leominster, Shirley, Ayer. You may be asking too much though, $200k budget is not enough to purchase a newer home in a decent neighborhood near or east of Worcester.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:25 PM

17 posts, read 51,289 times
I am looking for positive feedback about Gardner and Templeton. Does anyone recommend these cities? How are the schools? I hope to visit these towns soon.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM

10 posts, read 19,185 times
I would highly recommend Templeton over Gardner. Templeton is very quiet and family oriented with little to no crime. I lived in Phillipston once and very much miss. Gardner has bad school systems very poor with lots of budget cuts. There isn't much to do in Templeton but I would recommend it to anyone raising a family.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:20 PM

Thank you!

Old 01-10-2010, 09:09 PM

109 posts, read 211,848 times
I believe you can go as far out as Templeton. It's within a one hour drive of Marlborough. (I actually timed it on a rainy friday night commute from Westborough to Templeton. The town is smaller, but has frontage on Rt. 2 which will hopefully help when it comes to taxes as businesses move out to that area. The commute however can be tough on Rt. 2 because you will be driving into the sun in the morning, and in the afternoon at certain times of the year. Westminster is also a nice town, closer than Templeton. Maybe you could get as far northwest as Pepperell in drive time also, and Pepperell is a nice town. All are rural.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 PM

10,132 posts, read 14,495,740 times
Please be aware that none of the places mentioned are "cities. Some are barely "towns." They are areas. Maybe a smallish vaguely downtown area with other houses strewn around in rural fashion. I personally would find them pretty isolating. The OP's budget is a challenge. Personally, I'd rather go for less of a house closer in than strand myself out Route 2 with husband having a really long commute.

Old 01-13-2010, 08:59 AM

Anyone that could give me the heads up about Worcester would be greatly appreciated! What are some of the nicer areas? What are the areas to avoid? How are the schools?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:43 PM

1,335 posts, read 2,000,328 times
Nicer areas of Worcester tend to be north and west of the city. Pretty much anything west of a line of Heard St., Park Ave., and I-190 is good. I don't go much to north central Worcester, around West Boylston and Burncoat streets, but it looks decent from my few times out that way.

The worst would be "Great Brook Valley" (off Lincoln and Plantation streets to the northeast side of town) and "Main South" (Main St. between Chandler and Webster streets). These two areas are both home to big housing projects.

Can't say much on the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts