Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:05 PM

17 posts, read 69,003 times

Advertisements

I am moving to MA, and need some advice about which cities to consider. I am looking into Winchendon or Gardner. I would appreciate anyone's input about this area. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM

160 posts, read 774,583 times
Both extremely rural areas with very little to do. But if you like the countryside, maybe its for you! It's a little too quiet out there for me. The major hub of central MA is of course Worcester, so if you like the urban or immediate suburban scene than you want to move into the city (yes, it has some nice neighborhoods despite its rep) or its surrounding suburbs. If you would like more info on Worcester or any of its surrounding towns and suburbs, I consider myself very knowledgeable in reference to all of them and I would be happy to any questions about any towns you have, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any, please!

Old 08-24-2009, 05:19 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Check out Leominster, Lunenburg, or Westminster. Gardner is a less than sparkling town with less than average schools. Winchendon is about the same.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:35 PM

I am looking for a nice neighborhood with decent schools, but am finding the houses in MA too expensive to afford. I am from Lorain county OH, where you can get a really nice house for $200k and decent schools. Any suggestions? I found the homes in Winchendon to be more affordable, but now am hearing the schools aren't very good. HELP!!

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 PM

The Northeast and the West Coast have always been the most expensive places to live in the country. It's especially hard for those wanting to relocate here, those of us who start out here are at an advantage. Unfortunately, yes, it is very hard to find a decent house for around 200K in Massachusetts unless you really come across a bargain or you really make your way out into the sticks. Try Millbury. It's a modest suburb to Worcester and boarders Worcester's southeastern edge. It's homes are generally pretty affordable in comparison to the rest of Greater Worcester. It's in a great location-easy access to Worcester, Providence, and Boston and right on the Mass Pike. School system is great and has a good reputation. Neighborhoods are all on the smaller end, which is why they are generally more affordable. You'll find a lot of ranch houses and a lot of fixer-upers. There aren't really any "high end" neighborhoods or areas of high desirability because the eastern half of Millbury is mainly smaller, pond-side or city-side neighborhoods build in the 1950s and the west side of town is mainly rural and is actually very picturesque. It's low on crime and not very popular. It's a hidden treasure, but a very quiet town besides The Shoppes at Blackstone Valley, which are separate from the town and neighborhoods themselves. If Millbury doesn't work for you then try some times west of Worcester as prices start to gradually get cheaper as desirability decreases. I know its tough being an outsider and moving into an expensive housing market, but I wish you the best of luck! Please continue to ask me any questions about the area and I will do my best to answer them.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:52 PM

Thank you so much. i will check out Millbury, but will probably have more ??'s for you.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:41 AM

65 posts, read 233,996 times
I second the Millbury suggestion. There are several homes on the market under $200,000 - both ranches and older capes. Another idea is Townsend which is around the Winchendon area but schools are much better than Gardner/Winchendon. Millbury is closer to Worcester with easier access to highways, shopping, etc while Townsend is very much off the beaten path but overall does not have the somewhat more "tired" appearance of Millbury.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:25 AM

What about Ashburnham?

Old 08-25-2009, 12:25 PM

Ashburnham is going to be very rural primarily due to the fact that it borders New Hampshire and its far away from any of MA's major cities or metro areas. I honestly don't know about the school system there. Are you looking for a rural community with a country or farm town feel or something more suburban and easier access to cities? That might help me narrow down some suggestions because then I could tell you about some cheaper towns with the criteria you are most interested in.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:31 PM

Thanks for taking the time to help me with this. My husband is working in Marlborough, and we're still here in OH, so we are looking to move somewhere within an hour of Marlborough, that is within a $200k budget for a house. I would love to move to Marlborough, but is way too expensive. I am basically looking for a newer house, preferably not a starter home, and found some in Winchendon that I like and can afford, but am not sure about the town/schools. I have been looking up houses in my budget for the last month now, and have not found many...nice houses are pricey in MA, as you know. Way different from OH. But I wouldn't mind living in a more rural area, as long as there is shopping nearby and the schools are decent...hope i'm not asking for too much! lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts