Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 33,545 times

Advertisements

My husband is from ma but he is from the eastern south shore area and really know nothing about the wester side except that they get lots of snow. I really don't like the easter half million people on a postage stamp area. I would like to get peoples real life experince from western MA. Whats the cost of living like. What is the area around the VA medical center like. Good schools, good areas for raising kids, is the late spring summer and early fall warmer than on the south shore. Is springfield as bad as i have heard its been compared to a ****ty boston area. How is the winter out that way is it as windy or is it as cold as vermont. Here is the address of the VA medical center where my husband and i will be employed are there afordable home or do you have to go farther away. We are looking right now at spending 200,000 to 250,000 on a 4bd,2bth could we get that with a good sized yard. I have heard that its cheaper out that way. oh here is the address.421 North Main Street
Leeds, MA 01053-9764 thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 01:09 PM

136 posts, read 461,242 times
countrygurl -

My wife and I grew up in the Berkshire hills, went to school in the Amherst/Northampton area, and now live on the south shore.

For a couple who want to live a more country lifestyle I think it comes down to geography. Take out a map and start at South Hadley. To the south and southeast of South Hadley it will be a similar urban/suburban lifestyle. To the west past I-91 you have Easthampton, which I believe may start to feel more small townish. Going north of South Hadley you have the Skinner Range mountain - and north of that you have the Pioneer Valley including Hadley, Amherst, Northampton, etc. While those three towns are expensive because they have lots of college kids around, it's very easy to find more affordable places going north along 91 as well and east and west.

Frost and winter will arrive 2 weeks earlier and last 2 weeks later. Winters will be 5 degrees colder, but summers will be 5 degrees warmer. That said, it's all relative...the frost and cold seem to come even earlier in the hills and out in the Berkshires due to the elevation.

I would not feel compelled to live right where your jobs are - commuting 10 miles out west is far different that it is here...just don't go too far on those country roads or you'll have fun commutes in the winter.

Prices are down out there like they are here. If you stay out of the college towns then, yes, things are more affordable to purchase. That said, you may not be living in a big victorian in the #1 town...there's still a price to pay for a great place in a great town.

Hopefully some other folks can comment specifically on the feel of some of the towns. As I keep suggesting, who wants to buy a house in the wrong place...go see if you can rent and really learn more about where you want to invest to live.

Good luck!

Old 09-09-2009, 04:31 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,085,615 times
i really do not feel that we get any more snow then the rest of the state, but i live in an urban area and not in the hilltowns.you can get a house for the price range you have and have it on a decent piece of land. and no Springfield is not as bad as people make it out to be,any way if you are working in Northampton i would probably live around the Northampton area,which is about 40 minutes north of springfield and pretty much has everything you would need.no need to go down to the springfield area.

Old 09-09-2009, 06:53 PM

60 posts, read 217,206 times
I have intimate knowledge of the school system and the kids that attend public school in Springfield. If you have kids, dont live in Springfield unless you are sending them to private schools. They will be better off.

Not saying Springfield is the worse, but its not all that good either.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion based on my personal experiences.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:20 PM

21 posts, read 89,895 times
I've lived on both ends of the state as well and really love it out here in the Pioneer Valley area (hence my SN). Leeds is a rural village within Northampton which is considered a very desirable town to most people since it has of a kind of cosmopolitan feel to it without being a big city. I don't think Northampton is within your budget as it has become increasingly popular in recent years but there are many towns on the I-91 corridor that will meet your needs. The VA hospital is exit 19/20 off of I-91 so I think it's probably a good idea to stick to that area. South Hadley is one option that I would consider-- it's one of the less expensive college towns (Mt. Holyoke) and it's easy to get on I-91 in Holyoke or take Route 47. It's a quiet town but its location close to both the college area and Chicopee/ Holyoke/ Springfield. Schools seem solid enough. Hadley is right between Amherst and Northampton. Parts of it are very rural, but the Route 9 area is strip mall-y and can have a lot of traffic. The schools are very good according to MCAS performance (The best and worst performing school districts in Massachusetts). I do think they've become more expensive recently but with the housing market depressed you might be able to find something. Williamsburg is a very quaint and quiet option near Northampton. Springfield might be a little far for the VA hospital and if you want top performing schools it's probably not the best option. It does have a lot of great culture though and the amenities of a decent sized city.

I personally don't find it any snowier or colder than the Boston area but if you go out near the hilltowns it will be.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts