Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2009, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 10,214 times

Advertisements

For the past 10 years, my husband and I have lived in various towns on the North Shore. Currently, we live in Wakefield and love it here but as first time home buyers we are finding it nearly impossible to find a single family home that is affordable in this area.

My husband recently accepted a job offer and the job is located near South Station. This prompted us to look into possibly buying on the South Shore and so far we've been very encouraged by what we see. However, during a recent trip through Rockland, Pembroke, Hanson and Hanover we felt like it was more rural than what we are used to and everything seemed relatively far off the highway (except Hanover). Also, it seemed like the amenities we are used to (i.e. great restaurants, lots of shopping, etc.) are missing on the South Shore.

I really want to be wrong in my first impressions of the South Shore and I'm hoping some locals will chime in and share what they find appealing on the South Shore.

Also, would love to know if anyone knows anything about Rockland. We've seen a few houses there that we liked but know nothing about the area.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2009, 02:08 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,355,148 times
Funny, I moved to the Cape and miss the well priced, quality restaurants on the South Shore. In Hingham, there is Tosca, Burtons, and Square Cafe. In Norwell, there is Trattoria San Pietro. Rockland has Bella's. Randolph there is Cafe Bella. Our favorite dive, cheap eats is JJ's in Hanson. Down in Hull is Saporito's, Bridgeman's and The Red Parrot for cheap eats and great views.

In regard to towns, Pembroke and Hanson can feel like you are far removed from everything in certain areas. I lived in the area most of my life and never got to know my way around there. Hanover has everything available and is right off the highway as you noted. Rockland is a town where you can get a lot of house for a little money. Like any town where that is the case, there are problems. You can do a search on the town and you will find information. The town does seem to be turning a corner in regard to upgrading schools but it will not change all that is wrong.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:21 AM

30 posts, read 130,348 times
I agree there there are some great restaurants on the South Shore. Hingham has a nice, quaint center of town with nice restuarants, cafes and it's right on the harbor. Houses here are expensive unless maybe you can get a "fixer upper" and do some improvements yourself.
I'm not sure what kind of "feel" you are looking for in a town. If you plan on staying a while and having children definitely check out the school systems and neighborhoods. If commute wasn't an issue for me I like Norwell or Hingham. Pretty neighborhoods, good schools and nice restaurants. Rockland is more blue collar than Norwell and Hingham and like beachcomber4 says has it's issues (though every town does to some extent). Pembroke and Marshfield are nice...but can be a long commute and far off the highway depending on where you are in the town.

Old 09-16-2009, 06:30 AM

10,006 posts, read 15,647,185 times
I 2nd the suggestion for Norwell. Not as expensive as some of the more upscale coastal towns, but still very charming. I think if you are used to Wakefield, you will be disappointed in a community like Rockland.

Old 09-16-2009, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 10,214 times
I really appreciate all your thoughtful responses. It's important to us that my husband's commute is relatively easy and quick. We have a young family and it's important to us that he not spend so much time traveling.

Besides the schools in Rockland, what other "troubles" do they face?

Thanks again.

Old 09-16-2009, 01:21 PM

270 posts, read 1,360,633 times
Default Commute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnclark02 View Post
I really appreciate all your thoughtful responses. It's important to us that my husband's commute is relatively easy and quick. We have a young family and it's important to us that he not spend so much time traveling.
I am sorry that I can not say anything about our original question but your comment stuck out at me. I am wondering if there is any area in in the Greater Boston Area where you can have an easy and quick commute unless you live next door to your office. I wish you all the best finding your next home!

Old 09-16-2009, 02:25 PM

136 posts, read 462,519 times
Along with what others have said, the appeal of the south shore can also lie in its easy access to the Cape and ocean, quaint towns, variety of older and newer homes, some great school districts, new Greenbush line to Boston, etc. etc. Agreed 110% - south shore population and all that goes with it (good and bad) is far smaller than on the north shore.

Which town will your hubby be working in? "south shore" can cover a lot. Also, besides shopping and restaurants and shopping what was the appeal of Wakefield? (what else are you looking for??)

Good luck!

Old 09-16-2009, 03:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Oh yeah, the south shore is much more quiet and rural than the north shore. We live in Marshfield in the summer and love it for that reason. It helps to be a nature lover.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:33 AM

42 posts, read 150,777 times
I sort of agree with clevedark - part of the reason I like the south shore is because it isn't all about fancy restaurants and shopping. Obviously you can find these things if you know where you are looking, but it isn't really the "norm".

I'm in Weymouth - which is more urban and north than the towns you are looking at but here are some shopping places below. Since I have kids, I don't really do restaurants. If we do go out, we usually hit up Quincy Center. The Fours and The Jury Room are both good in my opinion. Fancier restaurants can be found at Marina Bay in Quincy - I've only tried Captain Fishbones there. (it was good but the service wasn't).

As for shopping, here you go:
- Hanover Mall. Love it for a "mall". I'm not really into SSP.
- Derby Street Shops. Sort of high endy-ish shopping on the Hingham/Weymouth line. I go there for Kohl's (not so much high-end), but other little shops are there, plus Whole Foods.
- Hingham Shipyard. They are building another one of these trendy shopping places on 3A in Hingham.
- Weymouth's Rt. 53/18 area. Here are grocery stores, a Walmart, BJ's as well as other random places. The Shaw's, Walmart and BJ's are all relatively small compared to others I've seen - but again, I like that aspect of them. I an get my stuff and get out.
- Target in Abington. I think Rt. 123. I usually don't go to Target because it's so far away - rumors are that one is opening in Quincy though.

I don't know anything about Rockland, good or bad! I guess it's just a little town that's there - I think it might border Weymouth! I'm sorry! I hear good things about Norwell (as previously mentioned).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts