Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 05:38 AM

185 posts, read 535,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffle View Post
I would appreciate someone being honest about what Newtonville,Newton Highlands, and West Newton are like. We were told by realtors to stay away from these areas....why? If you have read my other posts you know I have a family of three plus small dogs. These areas seem reasonable but don't know anything about them. Would love input!
We have been living in Newton Highlands since 1993. Its been great but the past 10 years have not been kind to the public school system. Unfortunately, many more problems are on the horizon for the Newton educational system and I feel the quality will erode further. If you want to educate your children in the public school system, seriously consider living in Dover, Weston, Wellesley or Needham. The schools in these comunities have managed to maintain their academic excellence and competitive edge nationally. Taxes are very high in these communities as they are in Newton, but at least you'll be getting your money's worth when it comes to school caliber/quality. If you are thinking about sending your kids to private school, then Newton wins ten-times over. Best commuting distance into Boston, much more diverse, best public library, a variety of diverse eateries and businessess etc etc etc. However, if you are looking for the "small home-town feel", look at the other communities that I have mentioned. Goodluck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 07:36 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,525,377 times
Camer, you made a similar post elsewhere saying the same thing about the Newton public school system going downhill.

Can you please be specific about exactly what happened to make what was once the finest school system in the country sub-par in the space of ten years?

It would also be very helpful to let us know exactly why the surrounding school systems are so much better.

Enquiring minds would like to know.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:37 AM

2 posts, read 2,697 times
I will state it. Newton schools are overcrowded, most of the elementary schools are dilapidated buildings in awful condition. I went to Newton schools are there were more kids in classes than in other towns. It is not even close to being in the same level as towns like needham, Wellesley and just the fact that it is even compared to those towns is absurd to be honest.

Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 AM

675 posts, read 1,700,470 times
I grew up in the Highlands and the only thing I can think of is that maybe these areas are less family oriented? I think most of the (small number of) rentals are in these areas - at least when we were looking at rentals that's where they all seemed to show up, so there might be a greater number of singles instead of families with children.

The Highlands used to be a wonderful family friendly village and in some ways perhaps it still is but once they shut down the elementary school, the library, etc. in the center of the village it just wasn't the same. I briefly considered whether it would be worth the budget stretch to rent for our young family, but my kids would just have to ride a bus somewhere else anyway. The amazing (truly amazing) school I knew was 30 years ago, (notably before Proposition 2 1/2). I'm not sure if that's true of all of the Newton schools, but I think Newton has coasted on that reputation for some time.

All of that being said, the Highlands is still a beautiful area with lovely homes, and I don't see any reason to discount any of the villages in Newton. I don't think your realtor was alluding to anything sinister (e.g. drugs, crime), probably just a personal preference sort of thing.

Last edited by tribechamy; 11-20-2013 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,810,036 times
Guys, puffle is gone. I haven't seen her on these forums in many years.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:52 AM

866 posts, read 2,628,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Guys, puffle is gone. I haven't seen her on these forums in many years.
That is too bad. I hope she is doing well and is still enjoying life in New England. I enjoyed following her story and her determination to get back to Massachusetts.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:56 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevedark View Post
Camer, you made a similar post elsewhere saying the same thing about the Newton public school system going downhill.

Can you please be specific about exactly what happened to make what was once the finest school system in the country sub-par in the space of ten years?

It would also be very helpful to let us know exactly why the surrounding school systems are so much better.

Enquiring minds would like to know.

[vimeo]58028843[/vimeo]
A Virtual Tour of Angier, Cabot and Zervas Elementary Schools on Vimeo

hope it helps!

Old 11-20-2013, 12:43 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,239,864 times
BTW, in some of the schools showcased in that sad video from Newton, some of the renovations have started. Hopefully it will get better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts