U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 07:38 AM

1,038 posts, read 2,504,612 times

Advertisements

Most leases specifically state who is responsible for snow removal. Unless the rental is in a large complex, it is usually the tenant's responsibility. The standard MA lease indicates tenant/landlord responsibilities on the first page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 11:26 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,873,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
There's no law about it and it's up to the landlord. If clearing the driveway is included in your rent, it would be stated on the lease somewhere.
Correct. With single-family properties it all depends on what you negotiated in your lease. Most places you will have to do it yourself and mow the lawn and keep up the yard. It really all depends on what is in your lease.

Old 02-02-2011, 09:27 PM

10 posts, read 12,986 times
Start with the tenant's rights page at mass.gov Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Hou sing+Information&L3=Tenant+%26+Landlord&sid=Eoca&b =terminalcontent&f=tenants_rights_and_responsibili ties&csid=Eoca - broken link)

Unfortunately it is not that clear or thorough as follows under tenant habitability rights section:

Snow Removal: Every exit used or intended for use by occupants of more than one dwelling unit or rooming unit shall be maintained free from obstruction.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:37 AM

407 posts, read 757,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass-eclectic View Post
Start with the tenant's rights page at mass.gov Tenant Rights and Responsibilities (http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=ocaterminal&L=4&L0=Home&L1=Consumer&L2=Hou sing+Information&L3=Tenant+%26+Landlord&sid=Eoca&b =terminalcontent&f=tenants_rights_and_responsibili ties&csid=Eoca - broken link)

Unfortunately it is not that clear or thorough as follows under tenant habitability rights section:

Snow Removal: Every exit used or intended for use by occupants of more than one dwelling unit or rooming unit shall be maintained free from obstruction.

See I live in a 3 family, the landlord inhabiting the bottom unit. The landloard will take care of the walk way and the stairs up to the apartments... BUT he does not shovel out my car. I think this is pretty standard, and has been the case everywhere I've rented.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 AM
miu

13,011 posts, read 22,156,229 times
Last week, I worked in a building with a good view of a large apartment building's parking lot after the snowstorm of that week. A person in a Bobcat was clearing the main area of the parking lot and any empty parking spaces, but the tenants were digging out their own cars. I feel that no landlords want to dig out a tenant's car for fear of accidentally damaging its exterior. Who wants to deal with being accused of scratching or denting a tenant's car?

I have a friend who rents an apartment in an owner occupied two-family. He is expected to shovel out his own parking space.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:18 PM

1,358 posts, read 1,980,978 times
I rent an apartment that's essentially the in-law apt of my landlord's house (we both live in the same building). There are 2 separate driveways, connected by a walkway. My landlord is supposed to do snow removal for my driveway, per agreement upfront when I rented this place. He has a snowblower, so it's not a big deal to just run it up and down a few times. However, he doesn't always does it, and sometimes it could be days later. Given I've lived here 8+ yrs and the landlord is quite old, I usually don't push him to do it... if the job is small, I just shovel it myself. But if it's big, I'll call if the snowblower isn't out there and I need to use my car.

As far as the immediate area around my car and the snow on the car, no landlord is going to touch that. Plus, I wouldn't want someone else to do it either. What if you find a big scratch on the paint job one day...?

Old 02-04-2011, 09:22 AM

1,038 posts, read 2,504,612 times
Except for complexes that have parking lots, I've never seen a landlord responsible for snow removal. Even in a complex though, tenants would be responsible for shoveling out their own cars.
Anytime I did a lease for a landlord, snow removal was specifically stated as the responsibility of the tenant. When I lived in a landlord occupied multi-family, I was responsible for clearing the snow from my own steps and separate walkway. He, however, was a sweetheart and I would often return home to find a cleared path to my door.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts