U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-15-2009, 01:05 PM

366 posts, read 854,297 times

Advertisements

I rent a house, and was speaking to a co-worker about having to find someone to come dig my car out when it snows this winter. She said that it was the LANDLORDS responsibility to provide access, including in and out of the driveway? Is this true?

If so, can someone point me to where it's written as mass regulation so I can forward to my landlord?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 01:24 PM

11 posts, read 19,197 times
I have always had to do it myself. I don't think the landlord has to. I have worked in real estate and looked quite a bit at renters rights and never seen it say the landlord has to.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:11 PM

967 posts, read 3,336,781 times
There's no state reg for this as far as I know. It's something you negotiate as part of your rental. Most places I've rented the tenant handles this themselves.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:18 PM

286 posts, read 711,319 times
There's no law about it and it's up to the landlord. If clearing the driveway is included in your rent, it would be stated on the lease somewhere.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:30 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,721,988 times
The most they will do is sidewalks and steps, but most won't do that. They'd never shovel out your car.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:06 PM

3,886 posts, read 6,394,050 times
I've ran across a few rentals out of hundreds that included snow removal. You would've been told when you first rented or inquired about the place, I think it's an added bonus, trying to sway you to rent one way or another.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:51 AM

366 posts, read 854,297 times
Ok. thanks. wasn't sure.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:05 PM

136 posts, read 304,149 times
And those that do clear out snow may do so...several days later.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM
m.1

7 posts, read 18,860 times
with multi unit dwellings yes, but with a single family house i'm not so sure if the landlord is absolutely required to do so. i would definitely get it in writing on the lease at the beginning of the term.
many times, by the time the snow has fallen, or still falling, the landlord has not/cannot make arrangements fast enough to get your car out for you to get to work; by the time they have it is too late, or the snow has melted, due to the funny weather we have. depending on where you are, snow doesn't last too long on the ground until it has melted . . .

Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 AM
miu

13,062 posts, read 22,525,381 times
For an apartment building, most landlords have staff to keep the parking lot and sidewalks clear. With rented single, two and three family buildings, that's sort of a grey area. I have a two family and ten years ago, my tenant and I used to shovel out the driveway and walkways together. In recent years, it's been more me shoveling by myself. But I shovel since I need to get out myself. And the lady next door to me who lives in a three family unit, she shovels with her tenants.

If you are renting a single family house, probably it's on you to shovel out your own snow. Especially if your landlord is only renting out this one place. If he has many rentals, perhaps he has a contract with a service to plow out all of his rental properties. But check your lease's paperwork.

Do you have a lawn around your house? And who mows it?

If you are living in a residential neighborhood, maybe you can find some kids to shovel out your driveway for you for cheap. Or just buy your own snowblower. Personally, I enjoy the exercise of shoveling. And if we are expecting a heavy snowfall, I just park the cars at the end of the driveway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts