U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 7,133 times

Advertisements

I am wanting to relocate from Tucson, AZ to (somewhere in) MA sooner rather than later.

I have been researching non stop for the past two months. I feel as though I am not getting anywhere, and am not getting much help from people on the net either.
Originally I had thought of New Bedford or Fall River as a good place to go because of the cheap apartments, but as I dug further I found out about the high crime rate, drugs, prostitution, etc.

Here is what I need:
-Affordable housing (I am on an EXTREMELY tight budget. I am looking for $600/mo apartments or less). I realize that is extremely hard to come by unless you're in a crappy city or close to.
-Good transportation. I cannot afford a car at the moment so I would need to rely on bus/rail until I can afford a beater.
-Relatively low crime rate (I'm more concerned with hate crimes against my partner and I as I don't really own anything great to steal).

All that being said, please refrain from derogatory comments as those aren't really helpful.

Just looking to get out of this hellhole so I can actually start my life in a place with my soon to be wife.

We are not looking for government handouts, nor do we want assistance, nor have we ever had/applied for such (I've had a lot of comments about that in the past). My partner is 25, college graduate and recently laid off from her position at a museum. I am 21 and in my 3rd year of college (which I will be continuing via online courses).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:58 PM

2,412 posts, read 6,076,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearetandem View Post
I am wanting to relocate from Tucson, AZ to (somewhere in) MA sooner rather than later.
Thanks.
What kind of work do you do? Do you have to be near Boston? Why Mass. (versus other New England states?)

Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 PM

Right now I have experience in admin/office, food & beverage, retail and customer service jobs.
My partner has experience in a wide variety, most recently with art museums.
I do not have to be near Boston. I was more or less asking for any information on any areas in Mass.
Why Mass? Because I like Mass (I am originally from the east coast and miss it) and would like to marry my partner (without the fear of our marriage license being ripped out from underneath in the newly approved states). Plain and simple.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:39 PM

289 posts, read 983,320 times
I think you should reconsider New Bedford. People love to bash New Bedford, but it's really not all bad. There are some perfectly safe and really charming neighborhoods in New Bedford, and the rents are cheap just because everyone's afraid of New Bedford.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:36 PM

6,323 posts, read 11,012,704 times
Im from Mass originally and there are few places if any in Mass that are cheap rent unless they are undesirable. Even then it is next to impossible to find much of anything for $600. I seriously doubt there are even 1 bedrooms there for that money in the most high crime areas. Mass is a very high cost of living state and that is an understatement. Also remember you have to deal with heating in wintertime, and you don't want an apt where your landlord controls your heat. I cannot stress that enough. No landlord controlling your heat. Not in New England.

I grew up in Bristol County the same county that New Bedford/Fall River are in. It actually is the cheapest area in Southeastern Mass but its not for everyone. For someone not from the area, I think it would be difficult to adjust to either city. Maybe you could try Taunton or the Attleboro area. The mayor of Attleboro is a young gay guy and well respected from what I have heard anyway. Both of these communites would have quick access to both Boston and Providence and commuter Rail is nearby to both Bos and Pvd if you need the train. There is also the regional bus company called GATRA. GATRA runs daily buses in the Attleboro Taunton area. Im not sure how good the bus is, but its there and you can google it Im sure for more info. There is excellent fwy access especially from the Attleboro region. I mentioned that for when and if you get a car. I would think you would want access to both Bos and Pvd at your age for things to do. Attleboro and Taunton are about 35 to 40 miles south of Boston. They are 1 to 1 1/2 hours to the Cape and RI beaches depending on traffic.Many times it can take longer than that. Im not sure you would like these communties. They are not jumping with night life, and things to do are not the high points of either place. They are bedroom communties for both Bos and Pvd. Many choose both of them because they can find cheaper housing, shopping and the easy access into the big cities.

I can understand your wanting to move to the area. It is hard to beat for quality of life but sadly much of that quality of life depends on a higher income. There is no way around that fact.

I would also try Rhode Island as you are on the border of the the two states when in Bristol County. Im not completely sure if it is much cheaper than the areas I already gave you in Mass, but check it out. The Providence area, Cranston, Warwick area you could try. Some sketchy areas but worth a look. The further you get from Boston you notice the prices come down a little bit anyway.

Use city data and ask alot of questions from people that live in or know the areas your interested in. You can really get alot of good info this way. Best of Luck.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:08 AM

Thanks for all of that info.
I have thought about renting a room from someone as opposed to an apartment but I will be with my partner, so I'm not sure if that would be weird or if I would find roommates weird.
I am definitely not your typical 21 year old. I have no interest in the "night life" of any area, really. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Neither does my partner. We're both pretty boring (to people my age anyway, and seemingly older style couple).
I'm more interested in the arts, movies, cycling (obviously in the summer), etc.

I'd like to stay in Mass for the benefits of marriage. I thought about RI but again my marriage would basically be void there. This is extremely important to both my partner and I, and though it may seem strange to anyone else it isn't for us.

I realize that Mass as a whole is very expensive. However, if I were to find a job in any area of mass (and hopefully quickly) I would obviously be getting paid more than most of the country ($7.25 per hour is the min in AZ).

I have my heart set on Mass. I know my heart won't get me a job, but I'm determined to get there. I just need to find the best place to land until I can afford to live closer to Boston.

Old 10-25-2009, 05:50 AM

206 posts, read 124,574 times
Fall River & New Bedford are a 'joke' in New England- both are old Fishing ports- but the crime rate and problems will be far less then the Tuscon. New England as a region is very safe for the most part- and areas that are a bit more 'rugged' stand out.

New Bedford has much charm- A high percentage of people of Portuguese extraction. It does have some some run down areas, but its not bad. In your price range you might also try Taunton, Attleboro, North Attleboro, Bridgewater & East Providence RI

Old 10-25-2009, 07:55 AM

304 posts, read 597,929 times
There are some nice areas of Everett and you may be able to find an apt for that little but I am not sure. $600 is not a lot for an apt in the Boston area. You may also look at East Boston, there are some better neighborhoods there too and you may find something you can afford. Remember, there is also gay marriage in Vermont, you may find a lower cost of living there (not sure!)

Old 10-25-2009, 08:43 AM

66 posts, read 181,142 times
Have you considered the area around Worcester. There is a big Art Museum there and many colleges around. Most areas of Worcester are charming and safe and with many job options.

There is Wachusset mountains to hike and the area around Worcester has a lot to offer.
There is a Medical School and tons of restaurants.

The rent can easily be 600$ or even less depending on how small an apartment you can live with.

Good luck with your move. I highly recommend Worcester area for you from reading your post. We live around here and love it..Worcester and neighborhood towns have lots to offer for some one who likes art, music , hiking ....and on a smaller budget.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 AM

66 posts, read 181,142 times
I wanted to add that you may find it difficult to rent somthing for 600$ in an apartment complex ..but try rent.com

also you may look at Craigslist Worcetster and see private landlords ads.. there may be areas of triple deckers rented for around 600$.

But you can make it work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts