Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 12:16 AM

227 posts, read 608,084 times

Advertisements

These are the towns we've found homes in that we are attracted to. We will be going up in March to do the official hunt (and hopeful kill) and my husband is going to be in the area next month or so and will have some time to scout around, so I'm trying to narrow things down before then.

The criteria is the usual things: Good schools, low taxes, etc. If you're familiar with my other posts you know we're also interested in semi-intangibles like a healthy arts community so if there's any insight you'd like to share I'd greatly appreciate it!

Clinton
Holden
Northborough
Sutton
Brookfield
Hopedale
Fitchburg
Princeton
Charlton
Worcester
Shrewsbury
Lunenburg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 02:26 AM

321 posts, read 720,632 times
There's a world of difference between alot of these places... Some are rural, some suburban, some urban. They are also far from one another... What are you looking for exactly? Where are you/ our husband going to be working?
I know yourelooking for arts, but these places are very, very different...

Old 11-20-2009, 02:30 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,829,421 times
Coming from me this is no news to you, but I'm betting Worcester ("depending on the area") would be a good fit. Fitchburg, not so much. Some outlying sections are really nice, but a fair chunk of the city is in decline. Clinton has similarly seen better days. Other than those three, the towns on your list are in varying degrees of suburbanization, especially Shrewsbury and Northborough, and have nothing particularly unique to offer. (If you've seen one treeless cluster of oversized Colonials, you've seen 'em all.)
Am surprised Maynard didn't make the cut. It's but one town east of 495, borders Hudson (which in turn borders Marlborough on the north), and is an intriguing study in "mill town meets boho." Before its absorption by Microsoft, Digital Equipment Corp was a pioneering high-tech company in New England. Their HQ was in a renovated factory complex smack dab in the middle of Maynard. During the '70s and '80s, the consequent influx of technogeeks changed the face of the area and left a lasting impact. Now the notable business calling it home is Monster.com. Maynard has its own lil' local cinema, a surprisingly thriving though unremarkable town center, and scads of comparatively affordable small houses. A holdover from the DEC days is a fairly sizable, though "under the radar," lesbian/gay population as well as more "persons of color" than most small towns thereabouts can claim. The odds of getting situated around cool "weirdness" are pretty decent as a result.

Old 11-20-2009, 06:30 AM

Maynard simply hasn't offered up any homes that fit our more personal criteria and budget, it is on a shortlist along with a few other towns like Sterling, Berlin, or Hudson where we have a friend, but still haven't found a property.

As much as my husband and I would love to be in the thick of interesting things, the fact of the matter is that we have two boys, large dogs, chickens, a green thumb, and a pressing need to not be sandwiched up next to our neighbors. Being close enough to enjoy interesting things for a day outing, morning coffee or date night will have to be enough, though it would be very nice to have a town center which at the very least I could drive to, park, and spend the morning walking around and shopping.

All the houses on our current list fit the criteria for bedrooms, etc. and sit on at least an acre of land. A difficulty is that we're trying to find a place with a first floor master bedroom. It's just not a common thing in MA. My husband's knees are completely shot from jumping out of planes, so stairs can be an issue for him.

cmo1984: My husband will be working in Marlborough, in the SW "corner."

Old 11-20-2009, 12:21 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,437,138 times
Charlton has good schools and fairly low taxes, but no "arts community". Brookfield is beautiful, but you would have to drive to either Worcester or west towards Amherst/Northampton for Art, Restaurants etc.They do have a beautiful Common, and lots of lovely old homes. Either one of these towns are nice, but not much to do...

forum rules, please read them

Old 11-20-2009, 12:45 PM

Having to drive a bit to find something "to do" outside of going to local parks is OK with us. We've lived the past 7 years in an area outside Houston TX where there is nothing at all to do (not even decent parks to walk in) and I know for a fact that simply having cool weather to walk the dog in, real trees, and space for gardening is going to go a long ways for us. We just want to know where to look for our weekends.

Having arts and entertainment in our backyard or down the block isn't important. Being able to find it when we want it is.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:17 PM

18,721 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Any of the towns you mention would be a decent drive in towards Cambridge/Boston. By "decent, I mean you could certainly enjoy a day trip there, but are unlikely to dash in from the towns after dinner. Traffic wouldn't really be an issue on weekends, either.
There are some decent restaurants scattered throughout the outlying areas. Just feels odd to drive up to a strip mall to have dinner out. Even if the food is good, it doesn't feel like "going out," if you know what I mean.
I lived in-town (in and around Cambridge) for many years. I now live out Rt. 2, 25 miles from Cambridge. There really isn't much going out going on, and I've *tried*.
If an acre and privacy and gardening are your priorities, I think you'd be happy buying wherever "home" works best, and driving into town or up the highway for entertainment/arts. For instance, there is a nice little music venue in Nashua, with jams and open mics. There is a great listening room in Londonderry, NH. A fine club/restaurant in Shirley (the Bull Run), a former tavern from 1740. These things are scattered around.
Best wishes. It's pretty nice living somewhere quiet with privacy and trees. Compared to most places in the country with all that, we are pretty close to cultural things. You just have to pay attention and plan your outings.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:49 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,404 times
I'd scratch Fitchburg off the list.

Charlton, Princeton, and Lunenburg to me seem a little far from Marlboro. But then again, I go from Thompson to Northboro.

Old 11-21-2009, 07:53 AM

91 posts, read 330,282 times
Clinton: The best you could say is good highway access.
Holden: New high school, good access to Worcester, nice library, near Mount Wachusett
Northborough; Closer to Boston so it's pricey. Quaint center of town, also has the regions largest mall, Solomon Pond.
Sutton: Good shopping options on Route 146. Fast to Providence, Worcester, or Boston
Brookfield: Part of the Tantasqua School District, which is good. If you can stand the isolation, go further west to West Brookfield, also consider Sturbridge for better community activity, shopping, and accessibility.
Hopedale: The best I can say is Joe "effing" Perry of Aerosmith is from there
Fitchburg: nein, nyet. Only saving grace is the University
Princeton: Gorgeous, at the foot of Mount Wachusett. Not a lot of amenity, but you are close to Leominster
Charlton: meh, not bad, again go west to Sturbridge
Worcester: Much good much bad. Review the multitude of threads. Unfortunately the town has a real inferiority complex, and that affects how it operates
Shrewsbury: Very nice, good schools. Somewhat schizophrenic as you have the retail corridor of Route 9, but this very New England center of town. Desirable for getting places(e.g. Boston) because it's on the east side of the county.
Lunenburg: pass

Old 11-21-2009, 10:27 AM

wow thanks, Blehman. That is exactly what I needed
We're looking in Sturbridge but haven't found anything yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts