Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 31,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8r5k View Post
I have since bought a mini American Eskimo who at 12 weeks is by far more aggressive than my rottie EVER was.
We had an American Eskimo when I was about 10 years old. That dog was not only a spaz, but also very aggressive.

Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM

15 posts, read 131,912 times
People need to stop generalizing dog breeds. Some of the sweetest calm dogs I've met have been pit bulls. I have met 1 or 2 that were aggressive however, the owners at the time were on cell phones and ignoring their dogs completely (this was at a dog park). There may be some inbred dogs that genuinely have a mental problem that causes them to be aggressive. However, it is usually poor ownership, abuse, and neglect that cause dogs to become aggressive in the first place.
You can say that about people too. No child is born a killer or criminal, it is what happens in their lifetime that causes them to make poor choices.
Also, I have seen yellow labs, chihuahuas, and even poodles become aggressive before.

"Ban stupid people, not breeds."

Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 AM

1 posts, read 1,940 times
The Pit Bull Awareness Center can answer all your questions about banning the Pit Bull, Protecting your pit throughout a ban and much more. Also, see the Latest Update on Pit Bull Attacks, Maulings, Killings.
pit-bull-awareness-center.christianfunfair.org

Old 07-03-2007, 12:40 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
umm, I see some major problems w/ that site, in particular the section on the temperament of pits.

quoted from the site:

The true temperment of a pit bull seems to be precariously hidden. Pit bull lovers will not consider their precious animal to be anything other than the best dog breed, no matter how many people are mauled and killed. They are blinded somehow. But people need to know the truth. They need to know the troublesome characteristics of the pit-bull, which is gameness, determination, and insensitivity to pain....their strong, powerful jaws, their fight to the death attitude and emotional disposition, their intolerance to stress, sensitivity and carelessness with kids, and HATRED for other animals.

the true temperament of this breed IS NOT hidden; please check the AKC temperament description of the AmStaff and Staffy terriers and the UKC description of the APBT. these are the traits bred into "pits" by reputable owners. these breeds have constantly been praised for their steadfastness and suitability around children (at one point, they were called the "Nanny dog")

and pit owners are FAR from blinded from the plight of the pit bull; no, they are hit over the head w/ it 24/7. pit owners KNOW there are ill bred, ill cared for pits out their that give their dogs a bad know. in my personal experience (used to work at a dog sitting business and volunteer at a shelter), pits tend to be better trained than most breeds due to the fact pit owners try to make ambassadors out of dogs. they know every little thing a pit does is scrutinized unfairly and held against the entire breed. a lab can jump up on a person and is considered friendly; if a pit did the same thing, a lynch mob would demand it be beheaded

as I mentioned before, ALL terriers were bred for gameness and determination. it's one of the reason why even small terriers like Jack/Parson Russells and fox terriers get rehomed. a terrier that wasn't game was basically useless for it's chosen work. yorkies can have just as much game and determination as pits. pits have a stubbornness that helped in the pit, but which is now being used for good. pits are GREAT dogs for search and rescue operations and police work b/c of the strong work ethic. their past willingness to fight can and has been turned into a willingness to work

and a lot of terriers are dog/animal aggressive. A LOT of terriers can not be trusted around other small pets like cats (greyhounds have also been known to chase and kill cats), and several breeds, like the Airedale and JRT have known dog aggression issues. well bred pits have this trait bred out of them and many pits are fine around other dogs (small animals like cats are always iffy around all terriers, but I've known pits to live w/ cats). pits are descended from pit fighters, but so are Boston Terriers and English Bulldogs. aggression can be bred out of dogs easily, if the breeder does their homework.

pits are no more insensitive to pain than any other breed. in fact, studies have been done regarding the myth of pits being resistant to pepper spray, and it turns out many breeds, including GSDs commonly used in police work, are resistant to the spray. pits appear impervious to pain b/c of the gameness bred into them. working at a shelter w/ a in house vet, I've seen some mangled pits come in, dogs w/ limbs dangling by a thread of flesh, faces torn apart, and these dogs would just sit quietly while vets worked on them. they rarely snapped, rarely put up a fight. these dogs were in obvious pain, yet never turned on the hands trying to help them

pits jaws have been shown CONSISTANTLY not to be any stronger than any other breeds. the infamous "lock jaw" myth is just that. pits are commonly used in police work, and would be useless if they didn't release upon command

again, pits have no intolerance of stress, and are not careless around kids (unless by "carelessness" you mean the fact that very happy, rambunctious pits can knock over a kid to lick their faces. but this is a "problem" w/ all large, untrained dogs). please look into the history of pits and terriers in general. like I mentioned before, most terriers were not specifically bred to be good around people b/c in their line of work, they wouldn't work closely around people. they were released into the barn/field to kill whatever critter they were bred to kill, and that was that. pits were bred to work w/ people as they had to be handled in the pit. pits that showed ANY emotional imbalance were either put down immediately or sterilized so the gene couldn't be passed on. in terms of their willingness to work w/ and around people, they are more akin to herding and sporting dogs than terriers.

look up every attack involving a pit bull. now, if there are pictures or videos, check to see how many of the dogs involved are actually "pit bulls" or even mixes (I saw a newspaper online that portrayed the "pit bull" involved in a fatal attack on a dog. the "pit" appeared to be a purebred Australian Cattle Dog, looked nothing like a pit!). now, from those attacks, take out mentions of a dog being tied up outside, intact, untrained, had previous issues, came from a dysfunctional home, neglected, abused, owned by drug dealers/thugs, tormented by kids/adults, starved, and generally ill treated. how many well trained, neutered pits from caring homes end up on the list of dog attacks? not many, huh?

that website portrays one person's personal experience w/ pits. s/he apparently saw a pit and looked "beyond the eyes and into the soul, I see death, a monster, a nightmare". according to this site, most people get pits b/c they want monsters, they want to intimidate people. this statement is false on so many levels and insulting to the pit owners who get these dogs b/c they are truly great dogs.

the EXTREME BIAS on that site is quite appalling (plus, IMHO, the religious overtones is ridiculous). some quotes from that site:

"'Pit bulls are horrifyingly ugly. Looking at a pit bull's ugly face at any time may cause you trauma'. And I agree. Looking into a pit bulls eye is like looking into a murderers eyes, no feeling, cold, no soul."

'In the wake of a horrific streak of bloody maulings, pit bulls have gained a reputation as the country's deadliest dogs. Just like smoking, AIDS, and spam. Here you will find safety tips to protect you against these violent, ruthless killers known as pit bulls."

"Very few pit bulls understand the English vocabulary, so refrain from attempting a verbal understanding with the beast. Reasoning with the pit bull will not always save your life. Or limbs."

"If you own a pit bull...oh, boy. Make sure you have a will prepared, because pit bulls are known to turn on their owners. Enroll your dog in as many obedience classes as possible, and pray in the Name of Jesus daily."

I'd take the info on this website w/ a very small grain of salt. seems like the site owner has a personal religious vendetta against pits

Old 07-03-2007, 07:50 PM

1,930 posts, read 10,172,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
umm, I see some major problems w/ that site, in particular the section on the temperament of pits.

quoted from the site:

The true temperment of a pit bull seems to be precariously hidden. Pit bull lovers will not consider their precious animal to be anything other than the best dog breed, no matter how many people are mauled and killed. They are blinded somehow. But people need to know the truth. They need to know the troublesome characteristics of the pit-bull, which is gameness, determination, and insensitivity to pain....their strong, powerful jaws, their fight to the death attitude and emotional disposition, their intolerance to stress, sensitivity and carelessness with kids, and HATRED for other animals.

the true temperament of this breed IS NOT hidden; please check the AKC temperament description of the AmStaff and Staffy terriers and the UKC description of the APBT. these are the traits bred into "pits" by reputable owners. these breeds have constantly been praised for their steadfastness and suitability around children (at one point, they were called the "Nanny dog")

and pit owners are FAR from blinded from the plight of the pit bull; no, they are hit over the head w/ it 24/7. pit owners KNOW there are ill bred, ill cared for pits out their that give their dogs a bad know. in my personal experience (used to work at a dog sitting business and volunteer at a shelter), pits tend to be better trained than most breeds due to the fact pit owners try to make ambassadors out of dogs. they know every little thing a pit does is scrutinized unfairly and held against the entire breed. a lab can jump up on a person and is considered friendly; if a pit did the same thing, a lynch mob would demand it be beheaded

as I mentioned before, ALL terriers were bred for gameness and determination. it's one of the reason why even small terriers like Jack/Parson Russells and fox terriers get rehomed. a terrier that wasn't game was basically useless for it's chosen work. yorkies can have just as much game and determination as pits. pits have a stubbornness that helped in the pit, but which is now being used for good. pits are GREAT dogs for search and rescue operations and police work b/c of the strong work ethic. their past willingness to fight can and has been turned into a willingness to work

and a lot of terriers are dog/animal aggressive. A LOT of terriers can not be trusted around other small pets like cats (greyhounds have also been known to chase and kill cats), and several breeds, like the Airedale and JRT have known dog aggression issues. well bred pits have this trait bred out of them and many pits are fine around other dogs (small animals like cats are always iffy around all terriers, but I've known pits to live w/ cats). pits are descended from pit fighters, but so are Boston Terriers and English Bulldogs. aggression can be bred out of dogs easily, if the breeder does their homework.

pits are no more insensitive to pain than any other breed. in fact, studies have been done regarding the myth of pits being resistant to pepper spray, and it turns out many breeds, including GSDs commonly used in police work, are resistant to the spray. pits appear impervious to pain b/c of the gameness bred into them. working at a shelter w/ a in house vet, I've seen some mangled pits come in, dogs w/ limbs dangling by a thread of flesh, faces torn apart, and these dogs would just sit quietly while vets worked on them. they rarely snapped, rarely put up a fight. these dogs were in obvious pain, yet never turned on the hands trying to help them

pits jaws have been shown CONSISTANTLY not to be any stronger than any other breeds. the infamous "lock jaw" myth is just that. pits are commonly used in police work, and would be useless if they didn't release upon command

again, pits have no intolerance of stress, and are not careless around kids (unless by "carelessness" you mean the fact that very happy, rambunctious pits can knock over a kid to lick their faces. but this is a "problem" w/ all large, untrained dogs). please look into the history of pits and terriers in general. like I mentioned before, most terriers were not specifically bred to be good around people b/c in their line of work, they wouldn't work closely around people. they were released into the barn/field to kill whatever critter they were bred to kill, and that was that. pits were bred to work w/ people as they had to be handled in the pit. pits that showed ANY emotional imbalance were either put down immediately or sterilized so the gene couldn't be passed on. in terms of their willingness to work w/ and around people, they are more akin to herding and sporting dogs than terriers.

look up every attack involving a pit bull. now, if there are pictures or videos, check to see how many of the dogs involved are actually "pit bulls" or even mixes (I saw a newspaper online that portrayed the "pit bull" involved in a fatal attack on a dog. the "pit" appeared to be a purebred Australian Cattle Dog, looked nothing like a pit!). now, from those attacks, take out mentions of a dog being tied up outside, intact, untrained, had previous issues, came from a dysfunctional home, neglected, abused, owned by drug dealers/thugs, tormented by kids/adults, starved, and generally ill treated. how many well trained, neutered pits from caring homes end up on the list of dog attacks? not many, huh?

that website portrays one person's personal experience w/ pits. s/he apparently saw a pit and looked "beyond the eyes and into the soul, I see death, a monster, a nightmare". according to this site, most people get pits b/c they want monsters, they want to intimidate people. this statement is false on so many levels and insulting to the pit owners who get these dogs b/c they are truly great dogs.

the EXTREME BIAS on that site is quite appalling (plus, IMHO, the religious overtones is ridiculous). some quotes from that site:

"'Pit bulls are horrifyingly ugly. Looking at a pit bull's ugly face at any time may cause you trauma'. And I agree. Looking into a pit bulls eye is like looking into a murderers eyes, no feeling, cold, no soul."

'In the wake of a horrific streak of bloody maulings, pit bulls have gained a reputation as the country's deadliest dogs. Just like smoking, AIDS, and spam. Here you will find safety tips to protect you against these violent, ruthless killers known as pit bulls."

"Very few pit bulls understand the English vocabulary, so refrain from attempting a verbal understanding with the beast. Reasoning with the pit bull will not always save your life. Or limbs."

"If you own a pit bull...oh, boy. Make sure you have a will prepared, because pit bulls are known to turn on their owners. Enroll your dog in as many obedience classes as possible, and pray in the Name of Jesus daily."

I'd take the info on this website w/ a very small grain of salt. seems like the site owner has a personal religious vendetta against pits
Wonderful post! As for the quotes from that site.. all I can say is wow!

"'Pit bulls are horrifyingly ugly. Looking at a pit bull's ugly face at any time may cause you trauma."

In my opinion "pit bulls" are some of the most beautiful dogs out there! And when they are puppies.. they are beyond cute! In my eyes there are few breeds if any that can even hold a candle to pits!

"Looking into a pit bulls eye is like looking into a murderers eyes, no feeling, cold, no soul."

Sometimes it's hard to even think of our dogs as dogs! They are amazingly human like at times and you can just tell by looking in their eyes how much they love people and just want to be loved in return!

Haha!! Our APBTs understand the English vocabulary better than alot of humans seem to! They are sooo smart, they learn sooo quickly and they are amazingly obedient!

Yes, I own 2 "pit bulls" and no I would never ever worry about them turning on me (or anyone for that matter). As I have already said twice in this thread.. "Pit bulls" do not just turn on people! In fact, no breed of dog does. Dog aggression is nearly always preceded by some kind of warning, and there is always a reason behind the attack. However, many inexperienced owners do not recognize the dog's behavior as aggression, or refuse to acknowledge it as a warning sign. The only exception I can think of is Springer Rage, a rare and controversial neurological condition that manifests itself as a spontaneous attack, followed by confusion, and then a return to normal behavior. "Pit bulls" are NOT prone to this condition. There are individual dogs of any breed that may be more aggressive to others... Neither of my dogs have ever been enrolled in any kind of obedience classes because they do not need them. They have both been properly raised, trained and socialized and they are extremely obedient!... I do pray in the name of Jesus daily, but not because of the dogs that I own. I pray for sad, ignorant people that say crap like that! I also pray that our babies don't get taken from us because of other peoples fear and ignorance!

I do believe that alot of "pit bulls" are more well trained (the pits that have good, responsible owners anyway) than alot of other breeds because they do have to be. You are very right.. if a lab were to jump on someone it would be okay because they are just playing or excited. If a pit were to jump on someone they would go nuts and tell everyone that a monster "pit bull" almost killed them! It's really, really, really sad. As far as "pit bull" owners not being aware of these "pit bull" attacks (most of which aren't even "pit bulls") that is crap! Any responsible "pit bull" owner is just as aware if not more aware of what is going on!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:11 PM

10 posts, read 44,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bettydane48 View Post

"Ban stupid people, not breeds."
Excellent idea!

Any living being could turn aggressive. Look at the human race. Look at what people are doing to each other.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:46 PM

214 posts, read 1,310,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post

quoted from the site:

What a crock. Who thinks up this stuff anyhow?
Ok, I confess; my dogs can't speak the whole English language. You win.

Get a life.

*sorry, reply intended for the original post

Old 08-06-2007, 11:53 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,415,802 times
I dont think pitbulls should be bread period. They are the worst kind of dog. And they seem to have a natural instinct to attack and when they do they go on a rampage!
Why is it the only time you hear of dog attacks? its pitbulls or rotweillers?
Mostly pitbulls. It keeps happening over and over all over the place.
And not everyone are bad owners. Sure there are some bad owners but most people are good owners. The dogs just have this crazy inner thing inside them that makes them go insane and suddenly attack without warniing. These dogs should not be allowed to continue to be bred.

Old 08-06-2007, 11:54 AM

Then why are pitbulls the only dogs we ever hear about attacking people? I never hear anything about a ****zu attacking or mauling people or even a german shephard. Its always a pitbull....why?
And dont give me the crock about bad owners. there's too many cases of pitbulls attacking small children where the owners were good.
and loving. Pitbulls just have a inner nature to kill
they are not like other dogs and shouldnt be bred

Old 08-06-2007, 12:08 PM

I am an animal lover, but pitbulls just make me sick. its the only breed of dog you consistantly hear about attacking people and kids
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts