U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 17,901 times
Default Commuting from Sturbridge, MA to Boston

I am visiting the Sturbridge, Ma area this week and am looking for the best way to commute into Boston without driving myself into the city. Is there a commuter train that takes me from this area into Boston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 06:21 PM

967 posts, read 3,163,386 times
I think the closest Commuter Rail station is in Worcester, which is about 18 miles from Sturbridge and then the train from Worcester to Back Bay is a little more than an hour if you take the "express" train. I don't know if there are any buses that could take you from Sturbridge to Worcester but there's definately no subway there.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 PM

429 posts, read 1,242,997 times
Don't very few people commute from Sturbridge, I pass through there on the way to Boston and it seems incredibly rural, in fact even areas East of Worcester appear that way.

Old 05-16-2007, 06:06 PM

180 posts, read 510,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Don't very few people commute from Sturbridge, I pass through there on the way to Boston and it seems incredibly rural, in fact even areas East of Worcester appear that way.
I live in Sturbridge and it is rural but beautiful! My wife drives to boston once a week and she drives to grafton and takes the train from there into boston. it is a long day to say the least, usually leaves at 6:30 and back at 6:30.

Old 05-16-2007, 08:02 PM

429 posts, read 1,242,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
I live in Sturbridge and it is rural but beautiful! My wife drives to boston once a week and she drives to grafton and takes the train from there into boston. it is a long day to say the least, usually leaves at 6:30 and back at 6:30.
Few people do that commute right?

Old 07-10-2007, 03:46 PM

12 posts, read 40,998 times
Default commuting

i'm not sure how many people go right into boston for a commute, but i've heard it more common to commute to the towns right before boston, ie wellesley, newton etc....that area

Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 AM

180 posts, read 510,605 times
Lost of people commute to Boston from Sturbridge. The turnpike is right there exit 9. so you can drive the whole way about 40 mi. or get off on rt122 and park in the commuter lot. take the train in it has like five stops in boston. I think there is a 6:40 and 7:40 train coming back its 4, 5 and 6 pm.

Old 07-11-2007, 09:05 AM

2,180 posts, read 3,920,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Lost of people commute to Boston from Sturbridge. The turnpike is right there exit 9. so you can drive the whole way about 40 mi. or get off on rt122 and park in the commuter lot. take the train in it has like five stops in boston. I think there is a 6:40 and 7:40 train coming back its 4, 5 and 6 pm.
There's no way Sturbridge is 40 miles from Boston. I used to live in Hudson which was almost 40 miles away, so Sturbridge has to be at least 50+ miles away. When people say "commuting into Boston", they mean government center, financial district, basically downtown Boston.

OK, I just mapped it, and it's actually 60 miles away. I know the morning commute from Grafton into downtown is 1.5 hours, so Sturbridge is probably another 25-30 minutes on top of that. Hellish if you ask me!

Old 08-02-2007, 11:39 AM

20 posts, read 114,404 times
Hey wait a minute!
Don't you know there is a van that leaves Sturbridge every morning for downtown Boston...non-stop? They are privately owned and operated, reliable, clean and affordable. A family member used to take the van each morning (maybe 6-something) and arrive refreshed (sleeping on the way in is what most folks like) within an easy walk to the office. It leaves from the parking lot of the Lutheran church in the town center. It's so easy! One thing that's kind of unusual is that you may be asked to drive it once in a while...but, only if you agree and are comfortable doing this.

Old 05-19-2008, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 19,611 times
I have a similar question. I am from CT and meeting someone from Springfield to drive to the Cape for a few days. We were hoping to leave a car in a commuter lot in Sturbridge for a few days. I couldn't find on Mapquest Route 122 in Sturbridge previously mentioned as having a commuter lot. Can anyone provide further details? Also, is it safe to leave a car over a few nights, as opposed for just the working day?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts