U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2009, 12:43 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,946 times
Reputation: 10
Default Looking for info on Needham, Westwood, Medfield

Hi,
I am interested in learning more about what life for a young family is like (schools, neighborhoods, friendliness, town center or not, recreational areas/social life) in Needham compared to Westwood compared to Medfield. One of us also will be commuting to Cambridge for work and I wonder about the realistic (i.e. with traffic) commute time from these locations (i.e. How bad is rt 109 to get to 128?). Thanks for any info you have for me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2009, 03:06 PM
 
925 posts, read 1,375,894 times
Reputation: 381
Needham is a terrific town with a great center and shopping. My brother and wife lived there when their daughter was small and loved being able to take the stroller downtown, walk to lots of things, including the train. They found it easy to get to know people, as there were a lot of community activities. I'd say if you can take the train from there instead of driving I'd do it. Getting on 128 in the AM can be brutal.

The MBTA has a pretty handy trip planner tool you can use to find the best public transit routing (although I have found once in a great while the site is a bit buggy). MBTA Trip Planner > Find the Best Way to Get to Your Destination
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2009, 03:08 PM
 
925 posts, read 1,375,894 times
Reputation: 381
About schools, Needham schools are considered very reputable. I've heard good things about Medfield schools in recent years as well. Actually their high school was just named a Silver Medal school (one of the best in the country) by U.S. News & World report.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2009, 09:56 PM
 
79 posts, read 152,755 times
Reputation: 92
All 3 towns have wonderful schools. I will say that if you live in Medfield, you'll have to drive rt 109 through Westwood to get to rt 128. That could be a nightmare if you don't leave your house by 7am. Westwood is nice, but is severly lacking in terms of a town center. Needham has it all, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:20 AM
 
186 posts, read 314,624 times
Reputation: 68
Definitely Needham all the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2009, 05:33 PM
 
270 posts, read 881,983 times
Reputation: 132
I love all three towns but when we moved here in 07 we could not afford any one of them. Needham I would say is the most affordable but also most dense town of the three. Then comes Medfield then comes Westwood. They have top ranking schools. I second that Medfield has a very good High school.
We settled for Walpole. By no means cheap but we found a newer 4 Bedroom Colonial on half an acre for the same price as a 2 Bedroom starter cape that needed to be completely re-built in Westwood. Walpole is also very family friendly and there are hundreds of kids in this town. (Love it!)

Now I know you did not ask for affordability and hopefully it is not an issue for you. I think community wise all three towns are very active, Needham probably the most since it is the biggest. For some that is not always positive, some people like to live in a more secluded town with a little more open spaces. (Medfield would fit then). Needham is also the closest regarding your commute. It has a real down town, followed by Medfield and then Westwood.
I wish you good luck and don't forget to check out Walpole ;-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:40 AM
 
32 posts, read 92,747 times
Reputation: 33
We live in Millis (next door to Medfield) and my wife use to commute to Cambridge. Although it was a difficult commute, she could do it in about 45 Minutes. The key thing is leaving early enough (which is what she did) or I would think a second shift type hour would also be ideal. Other than that, Needham would probably be the lesser of the commuting evils.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 09:59 AM
 
3 posts, read 7,946 times
Reputation: 10
Default Needham and radio/tv towers

Hi,
Thanks for everyone's feedback about these towns. Needham seems like a good choice for us. In researching it, more I see that there are large tv and radio broadcasting towers (around Rt 9 and 128) fairly close to many of the neighborhoods and schools (i.e. under 1 mile). Does anyone know if there been any related health concerns identified (i.e. increased cancer or other disease rates) due to living so close to these?
Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 01:32 PM
 
Location: Cambridge
82 posts, read 194,950 times
Reputation: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedincambridge View Post
Hi,
Thanks for everyone's feedback about these towns. Needham seems like a good choice for us. In researching it, more I see that there are large tv and radio broadcasting towers (around Rt 9 and 128) fairly close to many of the neighborhoods and schools (i.e. under 1 mile). Does anyone know if there been any related health concerns identified (i.e. increased cancer or other disease rates) due to living so close to these?
Thanks for any info.
I haven't heard anything about this, and in Mass the odds are if there were concerns, people would be all over the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
1,438 posts, read 1,678,352 times
Reputation: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by haberstroh View Post
I love all three towns but when we moved here in 07 we could not afford any one of them. Needham I would say is the most affordable but also most dense town of the three. Then comes Medfield then comes Westwood. They have top ranking schools. I second that Medfield has a very good High school.
We settled for Walpole. By no means cheap but we found a newer 4 Bedroom Colonial on half an acre for the same price as a 2 Bedroom starter cape that needed to be completely re-built in Westwood. Walpole is also very family friendly and there are hundreds of kids in this town. (Love it!)

Now I know you did not ask for affordability and hopefully it is not an issue for you. I think community wise all three towns are very active, Needham probably the most since it is the biggest. For some that is not always positive, some people like to live in a more secluded town with a little more open spaces. (Medfield would fit then). Needham is also the closest regarding your commute. It has a real down town, followed by Medfield and then Westwood.
I wish you good luck and don't forget to check out Walpole ;-)
I don't know why people think this, but Westwood is way more affordable than Needham. Just look at the median home prices in both towns:

Needham: $736,051
Westwood: $695,474
Medfield: $573,194

There are some pretty affordable areas of Westwood. If you're looking to commute in to the city, the Islington neighborhood has great rail access, quick access to 128 (< 3 min), and is more affordable than other parts of town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTD View Post
All 3 towns have wonderful schools. I will say that if you live in Medfield, you'll have to drive rt 109 through Westwood to get to rt 128. That could be a nightmare if you don't leave your house by 7am. Westwood is nice, but is severly lacking in terms of a town center. Needham has it all, in my opinion.
Westwood has no real town center, but Norwood center is just as close to most of Westwood as Needham center is to much of Needham. Depending on where you live in Westwood you don't have to deal with any part of 109. The trains through Westwood are also a lot quicker than the Needham line.

That's not to say Needham isn't great. My wife and I just couldn't afford much there but are very happy with what we were able to afford in Islington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top