Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2008, 06:33 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,770,229 times

Advertisements

Visit BOTH ends of the state before you generalize all of us in the state. People on the East side are different from us out in the Western side. We are very easy going out here, relaxed, and friendly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTransientTranny View Post
I lived in the New England area for four years (not the military), and though I was only in Boston one time and never visited NYC, I have to say that it's true, New Englanders are not as warm and friendly as southerners. And, I'm not sure that I buy the whole notion of being shut in because of cold temps, snow and ice. It doesn't snow THAT much in the New England area.

You want snow?!? Seriously? Try parts of Oregon or the Rockies. You want to talk bitter cold air for long stretches of time? Try ND, SD (lived there), MT and MN. What I think the real problem with New Englanders is, is that this arrogance is instilled in generation after generation. Maybe it does go back to the Puritan era. Whatever.

It really seems, though, that you are NOT being normal in the New England area if you're not being cold and reserved. I watched it with my own eyes, as mothers would not bother to teach their children any manners or respect for others. I've observed many people not even making an attempt to make eye contact when talking, or an attempt to talk about anything on a personal level.

Having said all that, I think the New England area is the prettiest place to live in, with the best climate overall.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:58 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocturnal rooster View Post
you are full of $**t. ...

... most people are too stupid to figure out that they are joking.
Interesting phrases in a thread about how rude people are.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,912,350 times
Transient, it's good to see this kind of detail about your experiences. I've been wondering why this thread goes on and on, because it seems that people are just repeating the same few ideas, with slightly different wording, over and over. I have to say that you do offer a view that goes beyond the standard lines that keep being repeated here. Just one thing, though . . . New York is NOT part of New England. Perhaps when you referred to your former co-worker from New York as an example of New Englanders' attitudes, you were using the term New England as a synonym for the Northeast. The two are very different. I imagine that people on both sides of that line would be emphatic when informing you of this.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:45 PM

5 posts, read 12,964 times
If you talk to a stranger in many parts of the Country, they will smile at you, chat about the weather, or some nicety, or some breezy thing that will help you pass the day in a calm fashion without much passing thought.

By contrast, If you talk to a stranger in Massachusetts, you will usually get a momentary pause, then if you smile, and you have a moment to spare, you will find the next conversation usually enriching, insightful, and exceedingly rewarding.

Boston is a SERIOUS City. It's people work hard, ..very hard. It is a competitive environment. It values excellence. It does not suffer fools easily. It does not value good looks, flashy clothes, owning the newest gadgets, etc. It values brains. And it values contrariness, and witty sarcasm. It values and appreciates it's history, and finds solace, comfort, and lessons that are instructive in today's world. People in Massachusetts complain about the weather all the time. But they will not just talk to you in a friendly and sympathetic manner if you are caught outside in a snowstorm and your car breaks down because the battery is dead. Oh no. Instead, Many in Massachusetts will be creative and smart enough enough in a pickle to know how to go get the AAA guy and to get your car up and running in a moments notice . And, to top it all off, use THEIR AAA card for YOUR car. And THAT my friends, is what is what you'll typically see in Massachusetts that you'll rarely see in other regions where " friendliness " seems to get a lot of positive fluff as this wonderful thing to cherish.

Others can value " friendly ". That's fine. But people in Massachusetts are not so much interested in being friendly to you, as much as they are in being considered self sufficient to themselves and yet helpful and knowledgeable to others when the need might arise. Being surrounded by friendly strangers is nice and all. But being surrounded by people of competence is better... because ultimately they are much more interesting, have more depth, and can be more valuable to YOU. That's because in a place like Massachusetts, the people are not so much interested as showing their " friendliness " to you, as they are that " competence " to you. And that makes for one's life in that region much more enriching and more fulfilling for many people...( in my humble opinion of course.)

Last edited by sezme; 10-08-2008 at 10:05 PM..

Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sezme View Post
Boston is a SERIOUS City. It's people work hard, ..very hard. It is a competitive environment. It values excellence.
And yet, Boston keeps re-electing Menino. The antithesis of excellence. A man who is incapable of speaking English.

Old 10-10-2008, 11:30 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,578,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
And yet, Boston keeps re-electing Menino. The antithesis of excellence. A man who is incapable of speaking English.
Thank woo.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmyankee View Post
Thank woo.
"See ya tamarra night, guys!"

Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 PM

207 posts, read 940,166 times
I am from Atlanta, but now live in South Florida. I think New England people are very nice, it is the New York City and New Jersey people who are RUDE!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:09 PM

12,845 posts, read 22,014,769 times
First off, I hate generalities towards a large group of people. period. I don't like people saying, "PPL from MAss are just rude!" and I hate when someone says that people from the south are "oh so sweet."

Maybe it's just me, but I like straight shooters. Many times when someone gives you a smile and a simple, small talk greeting, they're thinking, "who is this idiot." They may say "Hi" but deep down, they want nothing to do with you. If those shallow, superficial greetings make you feel a certain group of people are, "nice" or "warm," then no... Mass is not for you. If you are genuine here, you will likely get genuine in return. Like everywhere else, some people may continue to ignore you, but they truly may have a stuck up their butt (or don't speak your language, or are deaf, etc).

There are friendly people everywhere, and there are fake people everywhere as well as rude people, mean people, ignorant people, stupid people, etc, etc, etc. You won't escape any of those types no matter where you go. You likely won't get a hello, from everyone you walk by on the street, but in Massachusetts you'll get in what you put in. If you're friendly, you'll meet friendly people. If you're rude, sheltered, or quiet, no one will talk to you. It's your job as someone new to the area or visiting to be outgoing and make friends. You will find them if you put the effort in. Not everyone will go out of their way to talk to you unless you try.

If you want people to say hello to your face with a smile, then go talk behind your back, I would suggest elsewhere. If you want genuine people, there are plenty to be found around here... you just have to do the looking.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:35 PM

65 posts, read 147,194 times
I believe there are always exceptions to every rule. Of course not all New Englanders are rude and not all Southerners are hospitable. This is the fallacy of making broad generalizations; it does not take in the fact that individual behaviorism and group dynamics are mutually exclusive. One person does not behave like the category in which they are placed at all timesor even at any time. Not only that, but it is impossible for every person in this country to view this country as if it is through the eyes of a 95th percentile white male aged 18-49 (a person's experiences and perceptions can differ based simply upon this, not to mention the preconceived notions that are formed based upon this as well). I personally have never been to New England but if I allow my perceptions of this region to be formed by others without experiencing it myself (poisoning the well) then it does me a disservice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts