Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2009, 12:34 PM

160 posts, read 320,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Every state has rude people. Its not just Mass or a state people love to bash Florida. Of course many in Fla are originally from Mass. Its in every state and I do think some regions of the country are more prone to it, but its not every single resident.

Rudeness also takes many forms, it is not only when we receive poor service, or cutting in front of someone in a line. It can be people that ignore another for no reason. It can also be someone that is overly curious about others private lives. As far as Mass is concerned it is a very densely populated area with thousands of commuters. People pouring in every day not just from Mass but RI, NH, Ct. It is a commuter state and people hurry from here to there. Some of this hurry could be considered rudeness but I think its more along the lines of rush rush. I do think the drivers though are terrible whether its rude or bad drivers its terrible. When one gets into the many small towns, people have known their neighbors for years. Try finding that in much of the USA in this day and age. There are more polite people than there are rude ones in Mass, and many are very open to speak to someone or help someone out if needed. Unless the state has drastically changed, I just do not remember the state being populated by all these rude cold reseved snobs.

I don't know where people get this Mass residents are standoffish and not friendly. I grew up there Im not like that and knew few people that would fit that description. Most will start a conversation or look to keep one going with people. The majority of people are hard working and many work two jobs to support their families due to the high cost of living. Where I live now Portland, Oregon, most people never start a conversation, and give no body language they want to be bothered. Its put the head phones on, bury ones face in a book, and just ignore small talk. Its not everyone but it sure is alot of them. A very reseved city of hipsters and environmentalist. So I don't get why anyone thinks all people from Mass are rude cold reserved snobs. Im sorry I don't get it.

I must agree with you, most people in Boston are in a rush. Rush to work, Rush to be home for the kids, Rush to make dinner, Rush to their next job, RUSH RUSH RUSH!! Yes it stinks, and I am sure that a lot of those people would love to be able to just slow down, I bet they don't like having to run all the way to the other train to catch the right train so they can make it to the next stop on time. I would be willing to bet money that there are a lot of people rushing around Boston and being rude that would love to just go slow and take time to make the small talk, take time to chit chat (not about personal stuff). But life just isn't like that for everyone. So yes they rush, yes they have to say get out of the way, granted some of them aren't nice about it, some do have trashy mouths, but don't judge everyone on those people. I am sure that if you saw those same people at home on a saturday or sunday out in the yard playing with their kids they would be completely different.

My view is if you don't like it here...LEAVE. If you have a problem with Boston don't go there, move west or whatever. IF you don't like Massachusetts, why stay? just so you can be miserable about how RUDE we all are? There are other states up here that I am sure have very nice friendly little towns. If you decide not to move...stop complaining! I have lived in MA my whole life, we are what we are. Like it or not this is MA!! We are the people of MA!! Like it or leave it!!

Sorry but I just can't understand what people get out of doing this stuff? does it give them joy to spend night after night writing how much Boston and Massachusetts suck?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Status: "On my way to sunny South Carolina" (set 1 day ago)

9,914 posts, read 15,482,556 times
My daughter is home for her fall spring break from college. The 1st thing she said to me this morning was "I forgot how different it is here, everybody is so rude!" I had to show her this thread.

Old 10-10-2009, 10:54 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,729,513 times
Where do all you guys live in MA where everyone is rude??? I never meet/met these rude people where I am from in MA.

Old 10-10-2009, 12:39 PM

50 posts, read 121,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post

My view is if you don't like it here...LEAVE. If you have a problem with Boston don't go there, move west or whatever. IF you don't like Massachusetts, why stay? just so you can be miserable about how RUDE we all are? There are other states up here that I am sure have very nice friendly little towns. If you decide not to move...stop complaining! I have lived in MA my whole life, we are what we are. Like it or not this is MA!! We are the people of MA!! Like it or leave it!!

Sorry but I just can't understand what people get out of doing this stuff? does it give them joy to spend night after night writing how much Boston and Massachusetts suck?
If you substituted "the Forum" for Boston/Mass in the above passage, the hypocricy becomes more evident.

Old 10-10-2009, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 9,592 times
Quote:
I found many people to be cold and unpersonable. Although, some people were helpful
so there is helpful pple too, that's it dude !

can you count the number of pple you have met there ?
ok .. can you tell me wt's the whole number of pple there ?

it's not fair to judge them all !

take care

Old 10-10-2009, 11:42 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,408,188 times
This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmefatalezz View Post
That doesn't mean that when I get to know you and feel comfortable with you that I wouldn't open up. I am a warm and genuine true friend.
and this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by femmefatalezz View Post
Everyone here has 100 million things to do every day and are stressed out and needs to get everything done in a clockwork manner, putting themselves before others. It's just the way of the city, or any city
...don't add up.

So if you always put yourself first to keep up with all those "oh-so-important-things to do" somehow required in any city, when do you have the time to be that "open, warm and genuine" friend?...

The two, unfortunately, do not go together.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:11 PM

160 posts, read 320,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispo View Post
If you substituted "the Forum" for Boston/Mass in the above passage, the hypocricy becomes more evident.

I would like you to explaine what you mean? I really don't understand your comment? or your point?
I don't have a problem with Forums, if I did I would LEAVE! More people need to come in this forum and say positive things about MA! I will be awaiting your explanations.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:25 PM

4,043 posts, read 7,408,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorrieMA View Post
More people need to come in this forum and say positive things about MA!
I hope to pour in a few of those after the first week in November when we will fly to Boston for the first time in search of a place to rent.
I cannot wait and I am hyped about finding positives .

Based on many pictures of small town commons I have seen, it feels truly charming, quaint and authentic. Coming from 11 years in Atlanta, the very fact that we are talking about anything "common" is quite a miracle to me, in and of itself. I am already sure I will like the area at a first glance. As for the "second glance", I hope the horror stories about the cold and clannish nature of New Englanders will not come to life (in my head ).

All those stories remind me of the one year I spent in England. It was interesting how the international students were all more or less chirpy and gregarious (like they had a choice! ) but the English themselves...came across as having a very hard-to-crack shell and quite a bit standoff-ish. Many were like this due to shyness. I still enjoyed that year like nothing else, the English included. But, as my sister often says, I LOVE the English - their manners, their thought processes, their highly cerebral natures - but from a distance! Getting genuinely close to them just doesn't seem to work that well.

I am very curious to see whether the "New England" prototypes are a slightly modified version of the truly "English" type.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:00 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,266,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
So if you always put yourself first to keep up with all those "oh-so-important-things to do" somehow required in any city, when do you have the time to be that "open, warm and genuine" friend?...

The two, unfortunately, do not go together.
Of course they do. If you're dealing with a fast-paced life, you might just hurry past the 50,000 strangers you see each day at South Station or the grocery store without engaging in chatter, so you can better spend your time being warm and genuine with your family and friends, who actually matter.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:37 PM

17 posts, read 53,201 times
[quote=syracusa;11156758]I hope to pour in a few of those after the first week in November when we will fly to Boston for the first time in search of a place to rent.
I cannot wait and I am hyped about finding positives .
quote]No matter where you go you will find things you like and things you don't about places..but staying focused on the postives will most certainly help...Mass does have some great things to offer just remember to bring some warm clothes as it will be a little cooler then Atlanta..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts