Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2007, 10:07 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times

Advertisements

I am from the Cape, moved to AZ years ago, and still get asked why I am not friendly. I feel I am friendly, strangely enough. They explain to me that "I am a bit of a loner", even though I have been invited to several parties. I am just busy, I explain," I can only make a few parties a year". I have children to educate and a business to run. For some reason, I am thinking it's the long line of Mass-holes that I descend from, people think of me as rude. I think this might be half of my longing to go back to the Cape. I always feel people in AZ are lazy and ignore so many important issues, like education (being 50th, I would think they would be concerned), and pollution, (no winter snow is worth it to them). I am constantly amazed that all they want to do is work for low wages and sit by the pool all day! I often get insults because of this on the AZ thread. So, maybe I am rude, but at least I care about what's really important and not just about the affair Carrie had last week, what's on sale at Wall-Mart. Maybe it's a fun conversation for a min. but all the time, everywhere you go, no way. I am not lost when I go out, I know where I'm going, and I want to get there. lol
I am really not trying to be rude. Really! I just don't have the need to party every weekend of my life.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,062 times
I was born in Mass and have lived here most of my life.
Having been lucky enough to travel to many states and places around the world I think there is a misinterpretation about many from Massachusetts.
This is an extremely expansive place to live. People move many times because they can't afford to stay. What we may think is 'unfriendly' is possibly anxiety. In some cases it is just what it is, bing rude.
There is a fast pace here, too fast, and you see it with the drivers.

Old 09-09-2007, 02:35 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,080,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by journey50 View Post
I was born in Mass and have lived here most of my life.
Having been lucky enough to travel to many states and places around the world I think there is a misinterpretation about many from Massachusetts.
This is an extremely expansive place to live. People move many times because they th afford to stay. What we may think is 'unfriendly' is possibly anxiety. In some cases it is just what it is, bing rude.
There is a fast pace here, too fast, and you see it with the drivers.
You might of hit the nail on the head with that one, AZ has the same problem. People move here and then discover in 5 yrs. it's not for them. It does put people on edge.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:24 AM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 174,049 times
You are so wrong about how we drive here. I am in the western part of Massachusetts(Northampton area), and just coming back from 12 years in Florida which was longer than I needed. I noticed a HUGE difference in the way WE New Englanders out here have manners and let eachother pull out of shopping malls, side streets, parking spots, etc. It's completely the opposite down south where every moron driver has concentrated... You risk your life driving down there. Or it may be the lack of intelligence in the southern states, because after my time there I noticed the dumbness of "Y'all" down there. There's nothing like it up here, we have the prettiest landscaping, and we are not all rude as you say. What are you basing your info on, some idiot pole off AOL?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
No way! RI and MA drivers are far more aggressive and rude. I believe RI or MA was voted the worst state to drive in...The highways here dont feel like a NASCAR race or bumper cars. Up north, they sure do. Do people let you out off a shopping center up there? No, i dont think so. Rude is how cold, cut throat and self-absorbed people are in the northeast. You cannot say NC and MA are similar!!! WOW.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:55 PM

40 posts, read 157,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher441970 View Post
You are so wrong about how we drive here. I am in the western part of Massachusetts(Northampton area), and just coming back from 12 years in Florida which was longer than I needed. I noticed a HUGE difference in the way WE New Englanders out here have manners and let eachother pull out of shopping malls, side streets, parking spots, etc. It's completely the opposite down south where every moron driver has concentrated... You risk your life driving down there. Or it may be the lack of intelligence in the southern states, because after my time there I noticed the dumbness of "Y'all" down there. There's nothing like it up here, we have the prettiest landscaping, and we are not all rude as you say. What are you basing your info on, some idiot pole off AOL?????
Right on my friend. I was born and raised in Florida. South Florida at that. You do take your life in your hands down here. I keep on hearing about how "rude" people from Massachusetts are. It is not true. Compared to Florida Bostonians are p*ssy cats. I have been traveling back and forth to Boston for seven years. Once I was stuck in Boston with no money to get back to my hotel and was very scared. I was lost on top of it. These very nice local people flagged down a cab and paid for my fare. That would have never have happened here in Florida. They'll run you down before they will help you.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:39 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,649,470 times
Florida is a tough state to judge because i've never really met that many native floridians. A lot of the people in Florida are transplants from the northeast.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:49 AM

2,825 posts, read 7,544,897 times
I lived on Cape Cod for 25 years and was miserable every single day. Moved to OK 3 years ago which is the besrt move I have ever made.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,508,655 times
Default Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schousse View Post
I lived on Cape Cod for 25 years and was miserable every single day. Moved to OK 3 years ago which is the besrt move I have ever made.
From what I'm reading in the corner of your post your out of OK. That a long way from the Cape and I figure that would be a bit of a culture shock. So let me ask How do you find OK better than MA? I never actually heard of anyone one wanting to move to OK from MA.

Old 09-12-2007, 08:25 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,191,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
No way! RI and MA drivers are far more aggressive and rude. I believe RI or MA was voted the worst state to drive in...The highways here dont feel like a NASCAR race or bumper cars. Up north, they sure do. Do people let you out off a shopping center up there? No, i dont think so. Rude is how cold, cut throat and self-absorbed people are in the northeast. You cannot say NC and MA are similar!!! WOW.
I just relocated to the Atlanta area from Mass and I can tell you that drivers here in GA are the worst I have ever seen in my life. For some, turn signals are optional and speed limits are suggestions, and for others, they drive like your 95 year old grandmother on sleeping pills. I learned to drive in NYC and lived in MA for 15 years, both areas supposedly famous for bad driving, and I can tell you from first hand experience that those area have much better drivers than the suicide squad here in GA.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:04 AM

4 posts, read 24,088 times
The five largest reported ancestries in Massachusetts are: Irish (23.5%), Italian (13.5%), French/French Canadian (or Franco-American) (12.9%), English (11.4%), German (5.9%).
Massachusetts also has large communities of people of Finnish (Fitchburg/Gardner) and Swedish descent; Armenian, Lebanese (Worcester) descent; and Italian descent. Other influential ethnicities are Greek Americans, Lithuanian Americans and Polish Americans. Massachusetts "Yankees," of colonial English ancestry, still have a strong presence. Franco-Bay Staters (French Americans) are the largest group in parts of western and central Massachusetts. Boston has a large African-American population, and its largest immigrant group is Haitians. Fall River and New Bedford on the south coast have large populations of people with Portuguese, Brazilian, and Cape Verdean heritage, which is also very prevalent in the Brockton area. There is a growing Brazilian population in the Boston area (especially in Framingham) and also an abundant population of Brazilians thrive in Cape Cod especially in Barnstable, Falmouth, and Yarmouth. Lowell, in the northeast of the state, is home to the second largest Cambodian (Khmer) community in the country, outside of Long Beach, California. Although most of the Native Americans intermarried or died in King Philip's War (1675), the Wampanoag tribe maintains reservations at Aquinnah, Grafton, on Martha's Vineyard, and Mashpee.[12][13] The Nipmuck maintain two state-recognized reservations in the central part of the state. Other Wampanoags and other Native people live scattered around the state outside of reservations.
According to the 2000 U.S. Census, 6.21% of the population aged 5 and over speak Spanish at home, while 2.68% speak Portuguese, 1.44% French, and 1.00% Italian[14]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts