Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 AM

7 posts, read 27,772 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are moving to the area from NJ. Saw quite a few NJ transplant threads on the board. We will be house hunting next week and looking in the following areas: Mansfield, N. Attleboro, Easton, Wrentham, Cumberland, RI -- any suggestions? Negative or positive FB? He will be working in Mansfield. Would like to keep the commute under 30 minutes. Leaning towards Mansfield at this point.

Would like to be near shopping and thinking we should stay close to commuter train line to Boston/Providence. We have two 20 year old daughters so we don't need the school details, just to know town has a good school system, for property values -- and perhaps a good small college or community college nearby.

We're looking forward to the move -- and I'm a life long Jersey girl. Hoping to find a little more space, less congestion, slower pace, friendly people (and NJ people are very friendly despite any thoughts to the contrary), nice actual downtown district, etc.

Thanks for your help!
Nancy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 08:31 PM

79 posts, read 233,394 times
I live in Mansfield and I love it! Rt 95 and 495 are both there, as well as a commuter rail into Providence and Boston. I think it's a perfect location because we are exactly half way between Boston and Providence. We take our kids to Bruins games in Boston and my husband and I go to the theatre at the PPAC in Providence. In addition, PF Greene airport is a wonderful alternative to flying into Logan.
Mansfield has lots to offer in terms of shopping, as well. There are loads of nearby hiking trails and ski mountains all around the area.
In the summer, we take our kids to the beaches in Newport, RI, which is an amazing place to visit. We also go to beaches on the Cape in MA. There's lots of variety.
I think Mansfield is great and I think you will too!
If you need more info, please feel free to PM me.
Good luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Dear JBTD,
Thanks so much for your reply and the encouraging review of Mansfield. If you feel comfortable, would you share your email address with me or tell me how to PM you. I'm new to the message board and not sure how to work all the ins and outs. I'm an expert eBayer and am well versed in photos, editing, desk top publishing and the like, but I've never been a "poster" -- my husband is. I'd love to "talk" further and share the results of my house hunting trip (which will take place next Tuesday), if you have the time and inclination. It will be nice to "know" someone in the area before I make the move. Thanks again,
Nancy

Old 12-29-2009, 07:10 PM

109 posts, read 322,987 times
Mansfield is nice, Plainville, Attleboro, Foxboro, Wrentham, all depends on what you want. did you make it house hunting today? Kind of cold for looking, wasn't it? Brrr.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:51 PM

79 posts, read 233,394 times
I sent you a message, Nan!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:43 PM

22 posts, read 60,152 times
Nancy, I lived in NJ for 5 years. I strongly recommend you to put Sharon, MA in consideration. It has the best school among all the towns you have mentioned. It is beautiful and quiet.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:57 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,846,562 times
Regarding your question about colleges in the area, Wheaton College, a solid, well-regarded private liberal arts college, is located in Norton, right next door to Mansfield. I'm not sure what they offer in the way of continuing ed. classes, which I'm guessing is the reason you're asking. Bridgewater State is also south of Boston and fairly close to Mansfield. I don't know a lot about their specific offerings, but the other state colleges in Bridgewater State's category (primarily liberal arts, a few master's degree programs in professional fields) which I'm familiar with offer night and continuing ed. classes. A quick look at Bridgewater St.'s website (Continuing and Distance Education : Continuing and Distance Education : Bridgewater State College) shows that they have some cont. ed. and night school offerings as well.

Old 12-30-2009, 08:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 15,474,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJNan View Post
My husband & I are moving to the area from NJ. Saw quite a few NJ transplant threads on the board. We will be house hunting next week and looking in the following areas: Mansfield, N. Attleboro, Easton, Wrentham, Cumberland, RI -- any suggestions? Negative or positive FB? He will be working in Mansfield. Would like to keep the commute under 30 minutes. Leaning towards Mansfield at this point.
Hmm, I wouldn't bother with Cumberland - I don't know if there's a whole lot there to interest you. It's not really near any public transportation. But I'll comment on the rest of these towns:

Mansfield:

The downtown has seen better days, but there are a couple of
new shopping centers on Rte 140, Mansfield Crossing and
another with a grocery store, Home Depot, etc. Obviously a
short commute. See C-D's info on Mansfield for stats and
demographics. Trains to both Boston and Providence in the
center.

North Attleborough:

aka "North" (not to be confused with the city of Attleboro),
major shopping malls along Rte.1, can get pretty congested at
times. North Attleborough Not too much in the
downtown area.

Easton:

Nice, wooded, rural for the most part. It has an interesting
history, most of the town was pretty much developed by one
family. Most major shopping would be in nearby towns. Home
to Stonehill College
and the beautiful Borderland State Park.
. See Easton

Wrentham:
Smallest and probably the wealthiest town of those you
mentioned. Mostly rural, and the public transportation is
located in adjacent towns. Very good highway access, though.
Small, traditional New England downtown, not really for any
kind of shopping, but located at the junction of Rte.s 495 &
1A is the largest outlet mall in New England, Wrentham Village You'll be visiting there no matter where in the area you decide
to buy. See: Wrentham

If your husband will be working in the Cabot business park in Mansfield, that is located on the town border of Foxborough, so you may want to look there, too. Also, although it is a little farther, I'd look at the town of Franklin as well. It seems to offer most of what you are looking for (train, college, nicer downtown, friendly to transplants).

Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Hmm, I wouldn't bother with Cumberland - I don't know if there's a whole lot there to interest you. It's not really near any public transportation. But I'll comment on the rest of these towns:

Mansfield:

The downtown has seen better days, but there are a couple of
new shopping centers on Rte 140, Mansfield Crossing and
another with a grocery store, Home Depot, etc. Obviously a
short commute. See C-D's info on Mansfield for stats and
demographics. Trains to both Boston and Providence in the
center.

North Attleborough:

aka "North" (not to be confused with the city of Attleboro),
major shopping malls along Rte.1, can get pretty congested at
times. North Attleborough Not too much in the
downtown area.

Easton:

Nice, wooded, rural for the most part. It has an interesting
history, most of the town was pretty much developed by one
family. Most major shopping would be in nearby towns. Home
to Stonehill College
and the beautiful Borderland State Park.
. See Easton

Wrentham:
Smallest and probably the wealthiest town of those you
mentioned. Mostly rural, and the public transportation is
located in adjacent towns. Very good highway access, though.
Small, traditional New England downtown, not really for any
kind of shopping, but located at the junction of Rte.s 495 &
1A is the largest outlet mall in New England, Wrentham Village You'll be visiting there no matter where in the area you decide
to buy. See: Wrentham

If your husband will be working in the Cabot business park in Mansfield, that is located on the town border of Foxborough, so you may want to look there, too. Also, although it is a little farther, I'd look at the town of Franklin as well. It seems to offer most of what you are looking for (train, college, nicer downtown, friendly to transplants).
Casey,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post such great information. It will be very helpful and is just the kind of guidance I'm looking for. We have a very experienced realtor whom we will be working with, but it's great to have some unbiased "outside" information to start us out. I really appreciate your effort.
Nancy

Old 12-30-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
Regarding your question about colleges in the area, Wheaton College, a solid, well-regarded private liberal arts college, is located in Norton, right next door to Mansfield. I'm not sure what they offer in the way of continuing ed. classes, which I'm guessing is the reason you're asking. Bridgewater State is also south of Boston and fairly close to Mansfield. I don't know a lot about their specific offerings, but the other state colleges in Bridgewater State's category (primarily liberal arts, a few master's degree programs in professional fields) which I'm familiar with offer night and continuing ed. classes. A quick look at Bridgewater St.'s website (Continuing and Distance Education : Continuing and Distance Education : Bridgewater State College) shows that they have some cont. ed. and night school offerings as well.
Thank you for the information about the colleges, Ogre. I'm actually asking because we have 2 daughters currently in college. The one started at Un. of Rhode Island and didn't do very well, so she's been home, living with us and attending community college. We have a very good community college system in NJ and I was wondering how MA would compare. She will be in a Disney College Internship Program this coming spring semester, but will have to continue her education the following fall. I was just thinking ahead -- where she might look and/or apply for the fall of 2010. Thank you again,
Nancy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts