Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:39 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times

Advertisements

My mom has been in love with the Boston area ever since she took a vacation out there in August 2008. It's got a place in her heart now and it's calling her back. She is seriously contemplating moving out there when she and my stepdad retire. They're in their mid '40s now. My stepdad will be retired in roughly 10-15 years probably. Mom said she would like to live in a small town near Boston.

What are some good towns/small cities outside Boston that two young/healthy retirees would enjoy?

Thanks.

p.s. I can't think of anything they really like to do... they're not real outdoorsy. Just a nice place with decent shopping and friendly people. Maybe something with a lot of greenery. A lot of trees. A place where they take good care of the snow on the roads and sidewalks in the winter. That's my suggestion. I would be worried about her out there... I hear they get hit hard in the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 05:22 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,182,436 times
Not sure of their budget, but housing costs are well above average here.

Maybe Newburyport or Plymouth would be a start. About 40 miles from Boston, and both have commuter rail stops to Boston. The former has a quaint downtown on the Merrimac River; the latter is on water as well, with whale watch excursions, and close to Cape Cod. I'm impressed with what $350,000-$400,000 buys in Plymouth.

Maybe they wouldn't mind the high cost of Cambridge, across the Charles from Boston.

Will they insist on being close to water, or a state park maybe?

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 12-29-2009 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: spacing

Old 12-29-2009, 06:15 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,408,674 times
Maybe I'll send my mom this site and she can fill in these details. I have no idea of their budget.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:31 PM

109 posts, read 323,989 times
There's alot of adult-community housing that has been built recently, and is planned, in the suburbs now. 50 and over housing, which seems nice. Some are being built more like neighborhood's rather than condo developments.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:28 AM

6 posts, read 34,713 times
I'm from the Midwest and have lived here for 10 plus years. I agree that there isn't much that's quite like Boston. It's the perfect sized city, has lots of character and there are beautiful towns along the water. There are also lots of great destinations that are all pretty close by (Maine, NH, the Cape). While the people are never rude (that I've found) they don't necessarily want to get to know you either. Maybe this is o.k. for your parents and they'd be fine with just hanging out on their own. But if not, I wouldn't recommend it. If they're o.k. with that detail, then I'd recommend Newburyport also. It's an adorable town and right on the water. Belmont is a nice town also and is close to Cambridge and downtown (but it's a dry town). Newton is great with lots of energy and is an easy commute to downtown. It might be worth looking into if they like a more energized town feel. There is also Lexington which is cute, but I've heard people are even less likely to talk to you there. As one of my friends put it who lives there "you have to run into your neighbors tree to get them to look up at you." If finding friendly people is really important, maybe your parents should stay put and just plan lots of vacations out here. It really is beautiful, but a bit difficult to plant roots. I'm currently trying to move back to the Midwest to be closer to people who care about me. Best of luck to your parents!

Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
My first thought when I read your post is The Pine Hills community in Plymouth. This master planned community is like no other place in the area, but coming from outside of New England, this may be something that they would like to consider. Plymouth is under an hour to Boston (as long as it's not morning/pm commute hours) and great access to The Cape, as well as other nearby beaches. Just something to think about...

Old 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
I second the comment about Newburyport. Definitely worth a look.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:20 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,044,766 times
Salem !

Old 01-04-2010, 06:38 PM

6 posts, read 34,713 times
Minnesconsinite-

Use this forum as a perfect example of life in Massachusetts. As you'll notice, no one responded to my comments about what it's like here. That's exactly what it's like to live here! You feel like you're invisible! No one got mad (which is good) but that's because they just don't care (which is bad). They just go on with their lives. They ignore everyone who isn't their brother or best friend from 3rd grade. Please encourage your parents to make lots of visits before deciding to move. It's beautiful, but not for everyone!

Old 01-04-2010, 07:10 PM

82 posts, read 287,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart102 View Post
Minnesconsinite-

Use this forum as a perfect example of life in Massachusetts. As you'll notice, no one responded to my comments about what it's like here. That's exactly what it's like to live here! You feel like you're invisible! No one got mad (which is good) but that's because they just don't care (which is bad). They just go on with their lives. They ignore everyone who isn't their brother or best friend from 3rd grade. Please encourage your parents to make lots of visits before deciding to move. It's beautiful, but not for everyone!
Life is what you make of it anywhere. The communities surrounding Boston aren't all full of natives-there are many people here from other states and other countries. Cambridge is a great example-most of my neighbors AREN'T from Mass.

If you're friendly and involve yourself in activites and events, you will make friends. If you sit back thinking people should roll out the red carpet for you, you won't get anywhere. Life takes effort. There is a distinct 'woe-is-me' attitude on these messageboards that stems from a sense of entitlement or some kind of neediness that is extremely offputting to people. It's not that New Englanders 'ignore' people; they respect the privacy of others. There is a live-and-let-live attitude here. In NC and TX, people ignored my family because we weren't churchgoers, or prosletyzed us under the guise of friendliness. People in those states also seemed more concerned with conformity and less tolerant as well, though we met some great people there (who happened to be transplants as well). So there are pros and cons to living anywhere. It depends on the attitude with which you approach things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts