U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-15-2010, 11:07 AM
 
25 posts, read 49,120 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
"Liberalism is a cancer to society."

I don't know how you figure New England liberals are braindead just because they'd vote for Coakley under these circumstances. People vote for candidates, even though "it sucks" to do so, all the time if they think that seeing a competing candidate win would suck even more. It's not rocket science to figure that out.

And I tied my own shoes today with ease.
Very nice, you must be one of the smarter ones. Did you use the loop and swoop method or bunny ears?

I understand your point though, where even if it "sucks" to vote for Coakley, if you feel she will do LESS damage than Scott Brown, you vote for the lesser of two evils. Kind of like I did in the presidential election, where it "sucked" to vote for either candidate, but I chose one.

My point was that anyone who is "educated" in Massachusetts feels the need to blindly follow liberal ideals, if for no other reason than to prove they are educated. The more liberal, the more educated and intellectual you are. And they call conservatives close-minded? That mentality needs to change.

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-15-2010 at 11:21 AM..

 
Old 01-15-2010, 02:27 PM
miu
 
Location: MA/NH
12,992 posts, read 21,810,184 times
Reputation: 10146
I was surprised to see this anti-Coakley article in the Globe...

Race is in a spinout - The Boston Globe

And the Wall Street Journal did an article on her also.

Dorothy Rabinowitz: Martha Coakley's Convictions - WSJ.com

And an article on her from the Politico website:

Is Martha Coakley committed to justice? - Radley Balko - POLITICO.com
 
Old 01-15-2010, 02:37 PM
 
Location: Newton, Mass.
2,954 posts, read 7,730,339 times
Reputation: 1390
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the current state of the Democratic Party, or with Martha Coakley, but in my mind her election would beat the alternative by a lot. An interesting thing is that at least some of my frustration with Barack Obama the Democrats is for the same reasons as many conservatives, although my preferred course of action is probably very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
My point was that anyone who is "educated" in Massachusetts feels the need to blindly follow liberal ideals, if for no other reason than to prove they are educated. The more liberal, the more educated and intellectual you are. And they call conservatives close-minded? That mentality needs to change.
I know this is a common impression among conservatives, but it does not apply to me, at least. I am not liberal to prove I'm educated and I don't blindly follow anyone. I am liberal because that philosophy better fits with my own values. I also don't correspond in the least to the "caricature" Massachusetts liberals of the conservative imagination, those effete elitists (or, you know, lesbian-ish women) who shop at Whole Foods or a co-op, don't eat meat, think all sports are for neanderthals, etc.

I also have heard the lament of the "persecuted" conservatives, who believe their own ideas are not sufficiently "tolerated" by the supposedly "tolerant" liberals. I don't feel any more closed-minded than the average conservative who, after talking to me for an hour, hasn't adopted my views. Some liberals just don't agree with your ideas. The reason that many liberals perceive conservatives as closed-minded is, because despite a strong desire to be "tolerated" themselves, they often do not appear particularly tolerant of many other groups, including liberals, the "cancer to society." I know that was the other poster's line, not yours, and I know conservatives are not universally intolerant. But a visit to free republic will cure anyone of the notion that conservatives are by and large open to liberal ideas and interested in raising the level of discourse.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 02:44 PM
 
237 posts, read 471,996 times
Reputation: 172
Default Obama Coming to Massachusetts Sunday

Yeah! w'ere going to get the Olympics!
 
Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: The Woods
14,345 posts, read 13,265,687 times
Reputation: 5936
Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
"Liberalism is a cancer to society."

I don't know how you figure New England liberals are braindead just because they'd vote for Coakley under these circumstances. People vote for candidates, even though "it sucks" to do so, all the time if they think that seeing a competing candidate win would suck even more. It's not rocket science to figure that out.

And I tied my own shoes today with ease.
Anyone who votes for a candidate who is braindead is likely braindead.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 07:27 PM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
1,494 posts, read 1,731,051 times
Reputation: 1281
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokerAce View Post
Educated does not always equal smart . Many of these educated liberals have never been in the real world, leaving them without any common sense or useful skills. Just what I've noticed. They may have a phD in organic chemistry, but can barely tie their own shoes. So yes, they really can be that stupid.
How many people with PhDs in organic chemistry do you actually know? I know quite a few and all of them have are able to tie their own shoes. The only PhD I know who couldn't tie his own shoes was an applied mathematician and a libertarian, if I remember correctly. I'm sick of hearing this "yeah, you're educated, but you're actually stupid and don't know anything useful." BS. You know what, organic chemistry is useful.

It seems like the reasons you've chosen for someone being stupid are

a) having an advanced degree
b) disagreeing with you

seems like a pretty thorough argument to me.
 
Old 01-15-2010, 08:27 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 9,114,344 times
Reputation: 3105
You Massachusetts folks should vote for Brown because of this alone.

Hot Air Blog Archive New Coakley gaffe: Curt Schilling’s a Yankee fan or something

Is she really from Mass?
 
Old 01-16-2010, 04:03 AM
 
Location: Tha 6th Bourough
3,629 posts, read 2,692,883 times
Reputation: 1698
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTD View Post
I think you're all wrong. The vacant seat doesn't belong to Ted Kennedy, it belongs to "we the people" of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. I am sick of being overlooked and overtaxed.
Rasmussen has Brown down by 9 points, whic is stunning since Obama won MA by 23 points.
This will be the vote to stop the Obama, Reid, Pelosi tax ans spend, big government, nanny state machine.
It's time for the people of MA to wake up and realize that this is not the democrat party of our parents. These left wing loons seek to take control of every aspect of your life.
You can't complain if you didn't do anything to stop it.

this is really what is happening now....look between the lines....they twist the media to get voters to vote a certain way....i urge people to vote by looking at what principles and ideas the person you are voting for has that can help you instead of giving in to the same old media manipulation we have fallen victim to again and again...to me when i look at it i see Obama and Clinton and all of these "famous" names being used to sway the vote in one direction because they are scared to death that they wont pass a bill that will screw us all in every state because they want the health care bill to pass so bad to have more control over our every aspect...and health care is just one more power grab for them....i urge everyone to study the constitution and then study how the fedral government is trying to take those rights from us thru bills like this health care bill and the patriot act for their own agenda...dont just have an opinion study it for yourself
 
Old 01-16-2010, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
4,152 posts, read 4,290,008 times
Reputation: 3644
Our political system needs badly to be shaken up. Politicians are there not to serve us, but to perpetuate and increase their own power at our expense, and they expect us to rubber stamp it.

Nobody should feel entitled to a Senate seat by virtue of having a "D" or an "R" after his/her name. They should have to earn it, each and every time they're up for election.

If nothing else, this race shakes things up. If a Democrat is having trouble in a state like Massachusetts, that portends a major shake-up in the fall, and it's long overdue. Whatever the outcome of this election, things will not be the same and that's a good thing. We should not have states run by single party political establishments that can do whatever they want with no accountability to the public.

I'd also say that we need a lot more "opposite party" representatives at the state and national level. If Scott Brown wins, he won't be able to march in lockstep with the national Republican Party because of the state he represents, while it's a foregone conclusion that Martha Coakley as a US Senator would be just another brain-dead Democratic drone like the rest of her delegation who did what she was told. Brown would have to be independent to keep his seat, and that's a major advantage.

I really hope that Scott Brown wins.

Last edited by dazzleman; 01-16-2010 at 11:51 AM..
 
Old 01-16-2010, 12:33 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,832,924 times
Reputation: 666
Can you really vote "lockstep" if your party is the minority? I guess you can, but the only "lockstep" that would make a difference is if your party is in the majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top