Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:03 PM

40 posts, read 129,044 times

Advertisements

I have started to expand my search for a home into Southern and Central parts of MA. My husband will be commuting into Hartford. He is willing to travel about 40 miles one way. After I looked into some statistics on Sturbridge I saw the crime rate was a 7 out of 10. I think Springfield came in at a 5 or 6. I am looking for somewhere that is nice, safe, good schools, etc. I already have ruled out Springfield. Looking in East Longmeadow, Holland and Palmer. Is the info on the crime in Sturbridge accurate? This house hunting thing has been a long and frustrating 3 months!

Old 05-23-2007, 11:14 PM

142 posts, read 520,786 times
I have never heard of Sturbridge having a lot of crime issues, and I've lived nearby all my life. The town of Southbridge, which borders Sturbridge, has a bad reputation though. Maybe the outskirts near Southbridge has some crime, which is where they are getting their stats. Sturbridge has tons of beautiful areas, lots of historic charm, and great schools. I would recommend living there, especially with a commute to Hartford - easy shot down 84!

Old 05-24-2007, 12:56 AM

20 posts, read 80,563 times
I live in Southbridge and yes, it is crime ridden. Im very surprised by the high stats for Sturbridge, it could in fact be the filth from Southbridge filtering in. Now that I think about it, there does seem to be alot of homes for sale in Sturbridge. It may also have something to do with the fact that Sturbridge has 84, rte 20, and the Mass Pike, so perhaps the stats reflect traffic violations.

Old 05-24-2007, 02:43 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,218 times
Sturbridge, a couple of questions.

1) Isn't it rural? I've driven through there on I-84 to Boston and it seems very quaint with little development, nice.
If so why would it and southbridge have crime?

2) How come the whole NE CT and Sturbridge region isn't more developed?
I spent time in Fairfield County, CT where people commute 65 miles to New York, NE CT and Sturbridge is that closer or nearer to Boston, and Hartford is close, so how come it never became a big bedroom community?

Old 05-24-2007, 05:19 PM

180 posts, read 733,690 times
I live in Sturbridge, good schools, very nice little town..there is development and the BS is trying to keep it to a minumum..When are you moving because I will be selling our house next spring. in the $400 range

Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 PM

10,006 posts, read 15,653,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massquatch View Post
I live in Southbridge and yes, it is crime ridden. Im very surprised by the high stats for Sturbridge, it could in fact be the filth from Southbridge filtering in. Now that I think about it, there does seem to be alot of homes for sale in Sturbridge. It may also have something to do with the fact that Sturbridge has 84, rte 20, and the Mass Pike, so perhaps the stats reflect traffic violations.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if it was connected in some way to the turnpike (rest stop crime?). I never heard the town of Sturbridge was unsafe.

Old 05-25-2007, 01:33 PM

180 posts, read 733,690 times
I think the crime is tied into the routes that run through alot of drug traffic stops and dui's cause of 84 and the pike...I can tell you this the median income is higher than other towns..we know because we pay more into our taxes. the tantasqua school is shared by 5 towns and we pay the highest per student because we earn more money. that is a fact. our town fathers tried to fight it but it happened anyway. It is still worth living here, if you come to my house you will like it.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:04 PM

429 posts, read 1,864,218 times
Is Sturbridge and surronds rural?

Old 05-26-2007, 05:39 PM

142 posts, read 520,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tberg224 View Post
Is Sturbridge and surronds rural?
it is rural, but still has the amenities needed - grocery stores, plazas with stores like Old Navy. You don't see cows on the side of the road, or horse-drawn buggies! Very nice area...

Old 05-30-2007, 12:51 PM

20 posts, read 80,563 times
Over by the 84 area, yeah its pretty rural, but once you get into the downtown area, its pretty developed.
As far as the crime goes, I think alot of it has to do with the Mass Pike, I know for awhile they were targeting folks coming into the area from NY with drug shipments. Southbridge has a high hispanic population, and apparently what was happening is that they were traveling from Southbridge to NY to pick up drugs, and brnging them back to sell in the area. There is a State Police barracks in Sturbridge that covers the pike as it comes thru, and they were targeting hispanics, worked pretty well from what I hear, but then they got accused of racial profiling.
And before anyone gets upset thinking Im being racist, these are facts I'm stating here. The Sturbridge police realized what was going on and decided to crack down on it. About 75% of the people they caught were hispanic. I know this because I know a couple of Sturbridge police, some Southbridge police, and a State Trooper, and they all said the same thing. Sorry folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts