U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2010, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 14,428 times

Advertisements

I am a single gay Mom looking to move to Massachusetts with my infant son. While there is plenty of data available about the schools systmes, I am having a hard time finding out how gay friendly towns are. Does anyone know about the prevalence of gay families or gay friendliness of Reading, North Reading, Mass? Arlington seems to have great schools and is very gay friendly. I am also considering Winchester. I just don't want my son to be the only one with a gay Mom in his class. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 09:22 PM

3,071 posts, read 5,275,183 times
Your son is an infant, a lot could change by the time he is school aged.

I would consider finding a job first in Massachusetts and then choose a community that makes for a reasonable commute to that job, factoring in the values that are important to you. However, most people move within 7 years so it is likely that you will make a change before your son is in school anyways.

For what it's worth, from my heterosexual view point, I would say the most "gay friendly" towns north of Boston include: Cambridge, Somerville, Arlington, Ipswich and Newburyport.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 14,428 times
I have a job, at which I work remotely from my home office and can use our company's Cambridge or Boston locations if I need to. Thanks.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM
miu

17,141 posts, read 34,634,426 times
What about Newton? I worked a Bar Mitzvah for a Newton family, and the parents were a lesbian couple.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:28 AM

1 posts, read 7,019 times
Obviously Provincetown is the most gay friendly community in MA, North Hampton runs a very close second, but the thing you have to remember is that MA pretty much led the way on same sex marriage in this country and pretty much the whole state is more-or-less gay friendly. The communities you mentioned are, for the most part, upscale neighborhoods. That could mean educated people who accept the differences in all people... or it could mean nothing but snobs. I work as a Chaplain in a little city just north of Boston called Chelsea (I DO NOT recommend you move there). It's a tough, multi ethnic, welfare town, but it has a fairly large gay community and hate crimes against gays are non-existant. My point is, you just never know. I don't have to tell you, there are no guarantees, but I would feel safer living in most communities in MA than most anywhere else in the country. I hope you find this helpful.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:06 AM

10 posts, read 38,195 times
NOT Newburyport. Not Amesbury. Lousy schools, and NBPT is not all that gay friendly. Urban Myth. Amesbury is barely even gay tolerant. When I can sell my wonderful lakefront home in Amesbury and get my money out, I am going back to California. In fact, When it comes to anywhere in Essex county I'd stick to Salem or Rockport. Better yet, stay in the Boston/Somerville/Cambridge area.

Old 02-25-2010, 06:44 PM

28 posts, read 57,956 times
Western Massachusetts: Northampton, Amherst, Easthampton would be the BEST communities for you. Northampton, or as we like to call it- NOHO, would be extremely accepting of you and your lifestyle. Your son would definitely not be the only child of gay parents.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:42 PM

925 posts, read 2,362,812 times
We live in Sherborn (about 30-45 min west of Boston) and it's a beautiful, small but welcoming community for same-gender couples.

I think there is a site with demographic info about same-gender and m/f marriages. I'll see if I can find the link.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:40 PM

109 posts, read 290,032 times
Congratulations on the job ~ remote is awesome! I did remote, and commuted to Cambridge when necessary - although I wouldn't want to do it all the time, it was fun once in a while!

I'd hope that most towns were welcoming of all people. As long as you pay the taxes!!!!

Old 02-26-2010, 04:25 PM

406 posts, read 1,347,731 times
I would say that most communities in the greater Boston area would be quite gay-friendly, with some being more so than others. You mentioned Arlington, that's a town I almost always recommend to people moving here with kids. Very family-oriented, lots to do, etc. And yes, gay-friendly as well. I live in Medford and run into same-sex couples on the playgrounds here, although most often in the nicer areas like West Medford or the Lawrence Estates.

Honestly, I think it's more about what town is right for you...the gay-friendly thing is pretty ubiquitous in the yuppieish areas of Boston and the 'burbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts