Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2007, 11:23 AM

644 posts, read 3,320,373 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on North Adams? I hear the town is making a come back since Mass Moca opened in 1999. Any personal experiences to share? I'm looking to buy a home for around $150K. I'm not worried about work.

Thanks,

Artie
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM

8 posts, read 47,852 times
Are you looking for a condo or a house? I just bought a historic building in downtown Adams just 11 minutes south North Adams. A famous NY developer bought the other 2 apartment blocks and is turning them into high
end condos. You may want to consider those if you are not in a hurry.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:08 PM

4,462 posts, read 8,017,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artichoke63 View Post
Does anyone have any info on North Adams? I hear the town is making a come back since Mass Moca opened in 1999. Any personal experiences to share? I'm looking to buy a home for around $150K. I'm not worried about work.

Thanks,

Artie
Hi Artichoke

North Adams is an old New England mill town tucked away in the northwest part of the state, in the Berkshires. Its a very pretty location.

The town itself has made a comeback- and real estate will be very affordable-

The town has nice views all around, and of Mount Greylock. The downtown which was sort of shopworn for a long time, has improved much in recent years. The area has a fair number of services and shopping. Outside investment is increasing, the area is very peaceful and quiet- ex urbanites are discovering western Mass.

It is home to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art, North Adams has in recent years become a center for tourism, culture and recreation.

City of North Adams : Home

Last edited by skytrekker; 08-16-2007 at 03:16 PM..

Old 08-22-2007, 07:23 AM

414 posts, read 2,280,177 times
For the most part not a bad place to live...but you will be hard pressed to find a decent paying job in this area though!

Old 08-22-2007, 04:11 PM

14 posts, read 76,493 times
Default An idea on North Adams Real Estate

North Adams is on its way to becoming a great city. Now is the time to but here and establish your presence prior to it no longer being affordable. Check out this website for an idea on development projects and real estate that is available in North Adams. Moresi & Asscoiates - Home

good luck!

Old 08-25-2007, 02:49 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 173,987 times
If you like to live on 90 degree angle hills it's great. i was going to move in last weekend, but the hill was so steep I could not get my truck up the hill, THEN the apartment was a disaster... I have a bad taste in my mouth now about N. Adams. pretty place, I will not live there, I ended up taking a beautiful place in Chesterfield, MA., which also was a better area, jobs are plentiful. Not much in N.A.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:11 PM

14 posts, read 76,493 times
Default Maybe you should have looked around.

Sounds like you did not look around for an apartment to live in. There are plenty of nice apartments in nice locations in North Adams. Things keep expanding in the City. Just read the headlines.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:25 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
Artie, there are as many houses on the flat valley floor as up the various hills. People like the hills for the nice views they get. The summer was great weather wise, and all the cultural institutions had banner seasons!

One thing that is happening is that the summer arts season seems to be expaning into the fall and even some of the Berkshire theater companies are going to do holiday shows in December. Our big North Adams block party (Mayor's Day) and the Eagle Street Beach celebration were great, and the Harvest Parade - which is about as big a celebration of traditional mediocraty there is - promises to be a three hour marathon this year!

Then there are the Open Studios in October, 13-14 which also signals the closing of the Farmers Market on Saturday mornings.

Yeah, lots of stuff going on, and for those thinking about this old mill town - look on Church Street for apartments and Victorians to restore - it's where the mill owners lived, and they lived well! Check out http://www.berkshirefinearts.com

I did a summary of fall activities.

Old 09-03-2007, 11:35 PM

25 posts, read 114,363 times
I lived out there for a few years.. it's small and good paying jobs are a good drive away..no big cities for jobs around the area..Pittsfield, But I dont' consider that a big city.. It's funny I thought I'd like the smaller town life.. but everyone knew my business..even people that I didnt' even know. It's a little too small for me..
But it does have some nice views, and Mount Greylock is kind of fun to climb. Housing.. not great housing out there.. Adams has better areas for living I belive..I liked Adams much better!

Old 09-03-2007, 11:45 PM

746 posts, read 3,498,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetPea23 View Post
I lived out there for a few years.. it's small and good paying jobs are a good drive away..no big cities for jobs around the area..Pittsfield, But I dont' consider that a big city.. It's funny I thought I'd like the smaller town life.. but everyone knew my business..even people that I didnt' even know. It's a little too small for me..
But it does have some nice views, and Mount Greylock is kind of fun to climb. Housing.. not great housing out there.. Adams has better areas for living I belive..I liked Adams much better!
You are right - some of the housing stock is pretty deteriorated, but then again, that's why I could afford to buy a house. Fixing it up has been a project, but I have time to do it.

As to people being in your business, since I am retired, my friend the widow Shirley and I have been causing quite a stir...we are playing with them and love to get them whispering. We are both pretty ornery self sufficient individuals and don't suffer fools gladly. We don't worry about the gossips. We consider it our duty to keep them supplied for their own health and well being.

If I had my druthers, I would probably have made Williamstown my home, but no way could I afford "The Village Beautiful". Adams is becoming quite popular with retired craftsmen, teachers and writers, I've noticed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts