Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 11:14 PM

840 posts, read 748,643 times

Advertisements

Has anyone checked out Great Barrington? Perhaps this is an alternative to North Adams...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 08:48 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,047,223 times
Thanks for the recommendation. However, I believe the OP was looking for a less expensive and viable town, not one equal to Northampton in terms of COL. The long-established towns, like Great Barrington, in both the Berkshires, the Pioneer Valley and their surroundings have become increasingly expensive.

That being said, Great Barrington is a very attractive town and not to be missed on a visit to the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
Has anyone checked out Great Barrington? Perhaps this is an alternative to North Adams...

Old 06-10-2007, 09:05 AM

14 posts, read 76,019 times
Default North Adams is Wonderful!!!

Here is some input from someone who really knows North Adams-

I am a local Real Estate Developer who was born and raised in North Adams. I moved away when I went off to college and have since returned. I have started a very successful business of "transforming" homes in the area. Why? - because North Adams is undergoing a significant change which has been overwhelmingly apparent to me and many others. I have seen hundreds of people relocate here and fall in love with the area. The majority of my friends all moved back in order to raise their families in an area where housing is still affordable, there is low crime, and the scenery is to die for. Over the last 10 years the majority of the homes I have sold have been to great people who have relocated to this City. We now have condominium projects being created in our downtown, (2 of which my company is doing - and we have some beautiful units available!!!) have old mills being converted into artist live / work lofts (another project about to commence in a few months) and have some of the best restaurants around. You are also minutes to some of the most peaceful environmental treasures that the Berkshire area has to offer. North Adams is truly up in coming and the face of the area is changing fast.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 AM

Not doubt what you say is true, madevelopment, but it isn't an alternative to Northampton, Williamstown or Great Barrington--not yet. Will it become such a place? Probably! But I am too old to re-locate there and live long enough for that turn-around. Wish I were!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:22 AM

Default Come and visit

Come and visit when in the area ontheroad and enjoy all thay we have to offer and all that is upcoming!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:26 AM

Check my post above. I spent some quality time in North Adams just last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by madevelopment View Post
Come and visit when in the area ontheroad and enjoy all thay we have to offer and all that is upcoming!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:47 PM

5 posts, read 10,840 times
Spent some time in North Adams, and would have to agree with ontheroad. The town is economically depressed and depressing to be in. Not much to do in the summer unless you happen to like baseball. The town hosts a college baseball team called the Steeplecats (so named because of the predominance of church steeples in the downtown area).

Old 08-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Default Give it time

You should have seen North Adams ten years ago. It takes time for things to change - do not knock it. Look around - over 1/2 of Western MA is economically depressed. If you get a chance - check out the recent headlines in North Adams - big things are happening - maybe you should come back sometime - hopefully it will change your attitude. There is lots of potential in the city!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:08 PM

2,493 posts, read 4,367,012 times
Julie,

Write back and let us know your thoughts. I can no longer afford Northampton, so I'm looking for something else.

greenie

Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 PM

746 posts, read 3,490,122 times
I settled in North Adams five years ago from Boston and have not regretted it for one minute.

There is a lot happening in North Adams and surrounding communities. If your research consissts of driving around and looking at empty storefronts, and talking to pizza parlor employees, well, no wonder your impressions were not positive.

I'd start my investigation by going to this website set up by the local weekly going out guide (sorry it has so many ads):

The Advocate Weekly Online - Home

Or even better, this detailed site (much less commercial) which covers arts, entertainment and such:

Berkshire Fine Arts

(Check out the Fall arts preview)

The community is certainly in transition, but that is why you can buy a house for $50K and if you looked on Church Street, you would find many Victorian gems that are just waiting for some young couple to snap up, live in for a while asthe city continues to develop, and then cash out. There are no instant riches here.

The movie theater closed about the same time the factories left town, but plans are underway for its renovation into another performance venue. There is a tourist center in Adams where I get half price tickets for live shows as cheaply as $9.00!

The Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art is the largest facility of its kind in the world, and has constantly changing exhibitions, and a year round program of film, dance, theater and cabaret performances. Their dance parties are notoriously good times with lots of young folks and superb live music at affordable cost. They have pioneered the showing of old films with live music from a small band or orchestra, and they will be showing Nosferatu around Halloween as part of the Williamstown Film Festival. and yes, Virginia, a new 10 screen multiplex just opened in town.

There are a couple of other things you might want to know, like the great jogging/walking/public facilities over at Ryan Field along the Hoosac River embankment, the glorius Cascades just minutes from the center of the city (not for the faint hearted - rough terrain), and up Florida Mountain, Tannery Falls and all manner of ponds, fishing, bathing and picnicing facilities that are beaufifully kept and uncrowded. Skiing all winter, a half hour away! And a huge indoor ice skating rink on Ashland Street.

Empty storefronts signify little except the damage the WalMart has done to the downtown merchants.

Good restaurants abound too, including four nice pizza parlors, but I prefer Cafe Latino for South American cuisine, and Bounty Fare's Sunday Brunch for only $9.95 and that is just the tip of the iceberg.

Did you visit the glorious library with the great video collection you can borrow for free? Or check out the free lectures and low cost performances at both MCLA and Williams? How about the farmers market on Saturday morning? Or the many nearby farm stands?

A very rich and fulfilling life is available for those who want it. OTOH if I was looking for a buzzy and raucus night life, maybe it is not such a hot place for that. Employment is sort of divided between macjobs and skilled ones. If you are in the health or education fields, you will likely do ok. If you are self sufficient, and like sell on eBay or online, the low overhead, skilled workers, the lack of lines at the post office and the friendly UPS FedEx drivers will make your life a joy.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts