U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2010, 08:06 PM

2 posts, read 17,353 times
Default Low Budget Wedding on the water in MA / NY - too much to ask?

The budget for my wedding is pretty much non existent, which has me struggling for inspiration and would greatly appreciate any ideas you can share. Much of my family is spread out in MA, and my fiance's family is in Utica, NY (directly 4 hours west of Boston.)

We really want to be outside by water - that's most important. It will only be about 50 people and we'll need a place for out of towners to stay.

Any ideas on cheaper venues by water? I also thought about a state or national park, but assume there are hidden costs and challenges with that. Anyone every gotten married in a park that can share thier experience?

Thanks in advance - any experiences/ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Caroline
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,072,869 times
Marian Court College

Endicott College

Guests could stay in Salem or Peabody.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:36 AM

1,576 posts, read 2,477,259 times
Brewster Gardens in Plymouth is a very popular spot for outdoor weddings. There is a VFW or Amvets on a lake down in Plymouth (not sure where )that rents for short money for a reception. Another thought is to call the tourism board and ask about local groups that do fund raiser dinners (I've seen anything from fish fries, to lobster rolls to ham and beans). They might be interested in catering a 50 person event. Helps them raise funds for their group and helps you save money.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:02 PM

286 posts, read 689,508 times
I don't know about national parks, but renting a state park in Massachusetts is cheap and pretty easy. It's just $35 for the special use permit application fee, and then I think you need liability insurance for the day...not sure what that costs or how to obtain it. My fiance and I are also on zero budget and are looking into doing that.

Here is more information: DCR Special Services and Events

Good luck with everything. Hope you find what you need.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:49 PM

5,338 posts, read 9,114,417 times
Yeah, there are a number of good state parks on the water too. Gooseberry Island is part of the Horseneck Beach State Reservation which is absolutely beautiful. Guests could stay at any number of hotels in Westport or Dartmouth.

Closer to home, the Boston Harbor Islands may be an option? I've never been but I only hear nice things.

Fort Phoenix in Fairhaven is another cool spot that you may like. There are hotels nearby in Fairhaven, New Bedford and Dartmouth.

For Taber, a city park on the very Southern Tip of New Bedford is stunning. It's surrounded by water and offers views of all of Buzzard's bay, the Elizabeth Islands and Martha's Vineyard. They have a big memorial pier that juts out into the bay and overlooks a lighthouse. If you scroll down towards the bottom of THIS page, there are some good pictures of the park. A ceremony there would likely only cost a donation to the park.

There are hundreds of other places that you could probably find for cheap too. I'm sure you'll get some great suggestions.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 17,353 times
Wow! So many great ideas already! I just heard about and started using city-data and what a great resource. So nice to have people that take the time to share knowledge/opinions. I really like Brewster Gardens and the state park ideas and tips are so helpful as well. Can't wait to do more research into the ideas in these other posts. THANK YOU!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:20 AM

406 posts, read 961,926 times
Just a warning--before you get TOO excited about the parks, do bear in mind that many of Massachusetts' parks have strange rules that don't allow chairs, alcohol, etc. Just remember to inquire about specifics when you're finding out the basics--you don't want to get stuck with a crazy surprise!

Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 PM

2,413 posts, read 4,545,466 times
Don't know if it's too far for you, but one of the prettiest places in New England is the waterfront town of Bristol, Rhode Island.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

5,338 posts, read 9,114,417 times
^GREAT suggestion. Absolutely beautiful community. Colt State Park is gorgeous, but the rest of the town is just as nice.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:17 PM

237 posts, read 471,082 times
Look Park in Northampton has a pavillion next to a small lake amidst some tall pine trees; I've seen people having weddings there. http://www.lookpark.org/index.php?id=5
http://www.cambridge2000.com/gallery...P91516489e.jpg
It is also a nice town for people to stay in; vibrant downtown shopping/restaurants.

It is also probably halfway between utica and boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts