Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,832 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am new here and in need of some advice. In advance, I strongly appreciate it. I currently reside in Pennsylvania and I'm really getting tired of it. I feel as though I belong in Massachusetts, especially Boston. I am 19 years old and currently in college. I realize that is young. I have gone through so many different ways to make it work. I just can't figure out something that I know will work. I've thought about possibly transferring to a colleges near Boston, but it seems most of them are private colleges. So I know I can't afford them. I thought about applying to the University of Rhode Island, it's not Massachusetts obviously, but at least I'd be in the New England region. I do not have my own car, which from what I read, isn't a bad thing if I were to move to Boston. I should have a job in a few days, so that's another idea I'm thinking about, saving for a car or saving for a down payment on an apartment in Boston. I've also read apartments in Boston are very expensive and I'm only looking for a Studio most likely. I know most people would tell me to wait a couple years before moving, but I really can't take it here anymore. I just love that great city. I do want to remain in college, so dropping out isn't an option, obviously I would need a job if I were to move to Boston, is it hard to find part-time jobs? I'm just not sure how to manage the college thing and move to the city. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Like I said, I want to stay in college, although if it's possible to make a decent living with a full-time job in Boston without a degree and have a studio, that is a small option. Although I'd prefer college. Since I live in PA, I know college is going to be expensive since I'd be out of state. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 04:30 PM

300 posts, read 1,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newengland4ever View Post
Hello everyone, I am new here and in need of some advice. In advance, I strongly appreciate it. I currently reside in Pennsylvania and I'm really getting tired of it. I feel as though I belong in Massachusetts, especially Boston. I am 19 years old and currently in college. I realize that is young. I have gone through so many different ways to make [font="Comic Sans MS"]it work. I just can't figure out something that I know will work. I've thought about possibly transferring to a colleges near Boston, but it seems most of them are private colleges. So I know I can't afford them. I thought about applying to the University of Rhode Island, it's not Massachusetts obviously, but at least I'd be in the New England region. I do not have my own car, which from what I read, isn't a bad thing if I were to move to Boston. I should have a job in a few days, so that's another idea I'm thinking about, saving for a car or saving for a down payment on an apartment in Boston. I've also read apartments in Boston are very expensive and I'm only looking for a Studio most likely. I know most people would tell me to wait a couple years before moving, but I really can't take it here anymore. I just love that great city. I do want to remain in college, so dropping out isn't an option, obviously I would need a job if I were to move to Boston, is it hard to find part-time jobs? I'm just not sure how to manage the college thing and move to the city. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks again. Like I said, I want to stay in college, although if it's possible to make a decent living with a full-time job in Boston without a degree and have a studio, that is a small option. Although I'd prefer college. Since I live in PA, I know college is going to be expensive since I'd be out of state. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
The University of Massachusetts-Boston is a public university that is easily accessible by public transportation (MBTA- Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority, affectionately known as the "T"). There are studio apartments in the Boston area, though perhaps not in the City itself, that you may be able to afford. Check Craigslist to see what might be available. Or you could also find a roomate and share the rent on a 2 bedroom apartment. If you got a job, you could establish Massachusetts residency thus making yourself eligible for in-state tuition at a public university that is less than the tuition paid by out of state residents. Although it possible to move to Boston, work, establish residency and attend a public university, you will have do some planning to make it happen. Good luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,832 times
One other thing I'd like to add is that, I just finished my first semester of college. I was planning on taking another semester in the fall, and then a 3rd semester in spring 08. I would apply to the Massachusetts/ Rhode Island college in between fall and spring. Meaning I wouldn't be able to move to Mass. until next summer at the earliest. Like I said, I really dislike where I live right now. I would love to get out here by the end of the summer or at the latest the end of my fall 07 semester. Would there be any way to make that work, by possibly getting a studio apartment. Also, how much of a down payment would I need if I were to do that. Thanks again.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:34 PM

18,658 posts, read 33,267,745 times
There is a lot of turnover of apartments, especially in student areas, around beginning/end of summer. You cannot find anything if you don't nail it down by, say, August 1.
Studios in student areas can be found for less than $900, but it's tough. (By "student areas," I mean easy access to colleges by public transport).

By the way, 33 years ago, I came to Boston to become a state resident and go to UMass Amherst. Never made it to UMass, but have been here most of the last 33 years.
Regarding jobs, there's always service-type jobs in the city. A full-time job that pays decently without a degree, depends on any skill you might have. This whole area is so over-educated that any job that might require a degree can easily demand it.
Good luck. It's a great place to be 19.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:17 PM

41 posts, read 134,594 times
If you don't have a car you don't want to go to U. of RI. It's out in the country. Good luck w/ the housing search. Maybe look in Newton or other towns outside of downtown Boston that are close to "T" (public transportation) stops.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,703 times
Have you considered "small town" living? Adams and North Adams, MA are quaint towns and inexpensive to live in. Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts is a great state college in North Adams that is very affordable. Williams College is also close by in Williamstown. It is more expensive but is well-known. I have lived in this area all my life and love it! Close to Vermont and New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts