Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 03:21 PM

385 posts, read 1,452,255 times

Advertisements

I agree that Newton doesn't have any "dangerous" areas. However, if you don't drive, it's true that some neighborhoods would be better than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2010, 06:23 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,284,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz1982 View Post
I agree that Newton doesn't have any "dangerous" areas. However, if you don't drive, it's true that some neighborhoods would be better than others.
Absolutely. Basically anything south of Route 9 is tough if you don't drive. Even north of Route 9, it's best to stick to homes that are actually near the D line or, at least, the commuter rail (which stops in Newtonville, West Newton, and Auburndale, but not throughout the day).

Old 04-14-2010, 07:59 PM

107 posts, read 286,804 times
yje34,

As it can be overwhelming to be given a very long list of unfamiliar towns (particularly from a distance) I thought I would write again about your options using schools and transit as my top two indicators. I hope it is helpful.

I definitely understand the appeal of the price tags in Natick however, unless you are used to and comfortable with being confined to a very small radius I believe you will discover very quickly that the available transit is, to say the least, minimal.

Brookline can be wonderful as it is very central however, a majority of the single-family houses are a fair distance from the most frequent/convenient transit. There are a great many condos and shared houses closest to useful transit. But, for one of the few available single-family houses in the same neigborhood you will most definitely pay a premium.

If you are at all interested in a place that is a bit more urban but still fits the bill, I would also suggest parts of Arlington I say parts not for safety but because transit is not equally available throughout.

I would still strongly recommend Newton as the first place to investigate given your criteria. I know that some people here have given you some concerns about the "snob factor" and you will find them (as you will find them in every town unfortunately) but you will also find many nice, down to earth, welcoming people as well.

Best of luck and thank you for the well wishes.
If I never move again after this it will be too soon.

gracie

Old 04-15-2010, 11:17 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,284,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post
I definitely understand the appeal of the price tags in Natick however, unless you are used to and comfortable with being confined to a very small radius I believe you will discover very quickly that the available transit is, to say the least, minimal.
To say the least. Natick has the commuter rail to Boston, but it's a 45-minute ride and much of the town is not within walking distance of the station. There are some nice old homes in the center, not far from the train, but food shopping, etc., generally requires a car. I don't think I'd want to be a non-driver in Natick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracie09 View Post
If you are at all interested in a place that is a bit more urban but still fits the bill, I would also suggest parts of Arlington I say parts not for safety but because transit is not equally available throughout.
In Arlington, unless you're within walking distance of the Alewife station in the very corner of the town (which involves walking on a bike path), you'd need a bus to get to the train. The good news is that most (not all) of Arlington is close to the bus. There are buses along Mass Av (Massachusetts Avenue, the main drag) going to Alewife and to other Red Line stations deeper into Cambridge. More buses go from Arlington Heights and Turkey Hill in the west of town to Alewife, and there's a bus down Broadway in East Arlington to Davis Square in Somerville, which has a T stop. The bad news is buses can be slow or infrequent and you have to wait in the cold for them.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:44 AM

385 posts, read 1,452,255 times
The 77 in Arlington is one of the best buses around. Even on Sundays it runs every 15-20 minutes, and during rush hour it's more like every 10. However, it often moves very slowly down Mass. Ave. in Cambridge on its way to Harvard. The 79 goes to Alewife and is quicker, but only runs during the week and doesn't come as often.

My friend lives in Arlington Heights, and it takes her more than an hour to get downtown, between the bus and subway. However, if you are looking for a town you can get around in without a car, Arlington is a good choice. Most everything is along Mass. Ave., not just shops and restaurants, but also grocery stores, Town Hall, the public libraries, etc.

Old 04-16-2010, 05:55 AM

3 posts, read 4,768 times
Hi

I am overwhelmed by the response to my post especially since it is my first ever.

It is very confusing. I had been in touch with a realtor in Natick as I had seen a few homes online but there seems to very few "neighbourhoods", something that I am keen to be part of to be able to meet people and for my children to make friends.

Yes, the more I look into Newton the more I like it. I was by no means slating any part of Newton as dangerous, I know that Boston is one of the safest places in the US to live, more that I just wanted to know what parts were better, ie like Newtonville... is that nice? I have also looked at Arlington and Brookline. I live in one of the best parts of Glasgow, very lucky with best schools, so am keen to live somewhere similar. On saying that I do not live in a huge home but am keen to get something bigger when we relocate.

As far as transport is concerned that does not really bother me. More I was looking for somewhere that I could possibly walk to that had a few stores, coffee shops, just in case we run out of something. The thought of going into Boston city centre fills me with horror - I do not go into Glasgow city centre unless with my husband, I have a bit of a nervous disorder so any time I would be going into Boston my husband would drive us.

Thanks again for everyones imput. This forum has become very valuable to me, and all of your comments are so very appreciated!

Old 04-16-2010, 10:50 PM

107 posts, read 286,804 times
I am sure you are probably tired of my two cents by now but given your stated preferences, I would strongly suggest contacting a realtor in Newton and asking about Newton Center or Newton Corner. Also ask them about the neighborhoods that have local bus/shuttle service. These Newton local busses service particular neighborhoods and offer added transport to grocery stores, malls, MBTA connections etc. To get a better idea of the specific area check out: www.ci.newton.ma.us/

best of luck and safe travels,
gracie

Old 04-17-2010, 08:33 PM

925 posts, read 2,737,487 times
You can get a sense of public transit in Newton neighborhoods at http://www.newtonma.gov/MIS/GIS/Maps/PubTrans.pdf.

There's also a nifty tool at the MBTA website where you can type in an address and find the closest train/subway/bus. Every once in awhile it acts flukey but it's usually helpful. MBTA Trip Planner > Find MBTA Services Near a Location

Old 01-29-2011, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 891 times
we are helping with a Scottish music evening soon, in Feb 2011 in Boston area if you would like to have some new folks to say hello and check in on this big relocation you have just gone through this year.

flutegirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts