U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:17 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,030,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
No problem!

There are some pockets of Fall River and New Bedford that should be avoided, but even those cities aren't all that dangerous (not nearly as bad as some make it seem). The communities around those cities are all safe.

The far North End of Fall River is largely modern and suburban. There are dozens of nice rentals in that area. The listings on this page are mostly in that far North End area. The lone exception is the "Border City Mill" complex which is more centrally located in Fall River (not so wonderful). The rest of them are really located right next to each other in a very attractive, very safe section of the city (right near the Freetown line, actually).

Dartmouth, Somerset and North end of Fall River sound like they may be good for us.

As far as crime, I guess we we be ok. I mean, we currently live in Canton, OH (http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/comparison.jsf - broken link)

Here is a comparison of north end of Fall River and the Canton, OH area I live in
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 PM

9,323 posts, read 17,385,943 times
I can't find the comparison (link's not working for me)? I know very little about Canton so it would be hard for me to draw any conclusion on my end. According to city-data's numbers, Canton's crime is a bit worse than Fall River's. That website is cool though. It describes the portion of the North End I was referring to as "Bowenville." I've never hear that before.

I drew this up quickly on google maps to give you a quick overview of the area. It's pretty basic but it should give you an idea of where "things" (i.e. apartments, retail, etc) are in relation to Fall River and surrounding towns. This could be helpful just to get your bearings in an unfamiliar area.

Last edited by lrfox; 04-17-2010 at 08:53 PM..

Old 04-17-2010, 08:59 PM

That link is perfect!! Thank you. My husband and I are trying to plan a trip at end of July early Aug and were trying to figure out best way to cover the areas of MA/RI we want to look at and that link will help greatly in figuring out best way to use time since we will only have about 3 days to get a good idea of where for sure which town we are going to call home

Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 PM

4,676 posts, read 8,444,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
What is NETC Newport?

Naval Training and Education Center. Home of the Navy War College and other schools. Nice Enlisted and Officer's Clubs.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:28 PM

660 posts, read 1,407,555 times
That link had me thinking "this world is SO small!". And, just think there are planets out there FAR, FAR larger than the earth. Absolutely amazing. Wait.....am I THAT behind the times?

Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Naval Training and Education Center. Home of the Navy War College and other schools. Nice Enlisted and Officer's Clubs.
Ah ok. Thank you. Being Army I am not too familiar with Navy terms. Good to know there should be a military exchange store there

Old 04-26-2010, 10:27 AM

Not that anyone may care, but we may be moving to FR are sooner than we expected. Really hoping I can find something in the highlands area just so my husband doesn't have a far drive to work each morning but still trying to figure out which streets and how far are considered the highlands

Also keeping eye on Somerset, Swansea, Tiverton and maybe New Bedford area and also maybe Middletown, RI (keep getting conflicting info on drive time between Middletown and Fall River)

Old 04-26-2010, 12:11 PM

9,323 posts, read 17,385,943 times
^You probably keep getting conflicting info on the drive time from Fall River to Middletown for two reasons. 1) Beach traffic. In the summer, everyone flocks to Middletown for the beaches (though half the people think they're actually in Newport, the beaches are in Middletown). 2) Middletown is spread out. If you live near the beaches (souther tip of the island) it'll be a long ride. If you live closer to the Portsmouth line (another town worth looking into), it'll be a quicker ride. It's worth noting that the bridge from Portsmouth/Middletown to the Fall River area is currently being replaced. This could lead to delays when lane closures take effect. I'd plan on around a 25-35 minute drive on average from Portsmouth or Middletown to Fall River.

As far as the highlands go, Here's a quick idea of what constitutes the neighborhood. It's really split into two parts. Both are very nice. The Upper Highlands is any street NORTH of President Avenue (aka Route 6), Along or EAST of Highland Avenue (you can't tell by browsing the map, but highland avenue runs along the top of a large hill. If you go West you'll be heading downhill and steeply. Thus, not the highlands anymore) and and WEST of Route 24. You'll find that those three roadways (Highland Avenue, President Avenue and Route 24) form a triangular shape. Within that triangle, is the Upper Highlands area.

The Lower Highlands is a smaller area. It's not as easy to define in words as the upper highlands as there are more boundary streets. For the sake of making things easier, I highlighted both sections (Upper Highlands in Blue and Lower Highlands in Red) ON THIS MAP so you can get an idea of where things area (give the map a second to load). Anywhere in the highlighted areas will be pretty nice. Get addresses for potential rentals and compare them to the map to get an idea of where they are.

The differences between the two sections of the Highlands is essentially the following. The Upper Highlands has some historic large older homes (Between Highland and Robeson Streets is where the historic homes are) but the bulk of the neighborhood is lower to mid-density suburban homes that were built mostly after the 1950s (you'll find most of these, East of Robeson St.). There are more single-family homes in this area.

The LOWER Highlands has a larger collection of older Victorian area homes. It's a bit less "suburban" (We'd call it a "street car suburb" or inner suburb) but it's not wall to wall urban either. This is considered the "historic district." and it's very charming. Here is where you'll find most of the rentals in the Highlands neighborhoods. Parts of it are also within walking distance of downtown Fall River.

Hope this helps a bit. Rentals should be opening up quite soon as many leases are up in May.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:21 PM

Thanks again for all of your help lrfox- you definitely are a great asset to this forum- I would rep you if I could

Old 04-26-2010, 12:33 PM

207 posts, read 510,631 times
Hi,
My husband used to work in Fall River and we lived in Bristol RI at the time. The commute was really good for him (around 20 min.-no traffic to deal with). We loved Bristol, it is a really cute town with nice shops and cafes. The bike path is great and Colt State park is awesome.

When we left, the elementary schools were good, but the HS was a subpar--but that was over 2 years ago so I'm not sure if things have changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or