Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2010, 07:12 AM

23 posts, read 107,489 times

Advertisements

How do Mass. towns differ from CT in terms of their appearance and overall feel? Are they really much different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 06:29 PM

548 posts, read 2,097,107 times
Massachusetts is part of New England. Connecticut is a suburb of New York City. 'Nuff said.

Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 AM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
It depends entirely on which areas you're talking about and comparing. Did you have any specific areas in mind?

CT is part of New England, so there are inherent similarities between some communities and there are differences too. Parts of Northern CT feel like some of Western MA (in fact, seeing as they share a border, they look a lot alike). This is particularly true in/around the Springfield and Hartford areas. That region is VERY similar on both sides of the state line.

To me, much of Southwestern CT looks and feels similar to Boston area suburbs. This is because many of the communities in Southwestern CT were once independent towns with their own town centers that have been taken over by sprawling Metropolitan New York City. Most of those towns have become much more affluent and well to do. You find the same growth in the communities around Boston. The difference being that this type of sprawl extends much further in CT (as metro NYC is much larger) and the most affluent towns in SW CT are much more affluent than the wealthiest up here. I do think these areas feel and even appear, in some cases, very similar to one another.

Outside of the metro areas, I think you really have to take it on a case by case basis. Many CT communities have the typical New England Village set up with the "Green" or "Common" and New England style church. Interestingly enough, Rhode Island doesn't have too many (there are a few) examples of this set up as it was founded by Roger Williams who left the Puritan society (which established this village set up).

I think the urban areas are case by case too. Lots of CT's urban areas have the prototypical Three Decker houses that you find in MA. Still, they maintain their differences. New Haven has an urban center unlike most in MA. It has (in my opinion) one of the best "Commons" in New England (I think it's a better fit into the urban area than even Boston's). New London reminds me of a hybrid Portsmouth NH and New Bedford, MA. Waterbury, CT has all of the typical aspects of a mill town. It reminds me in some ways of a larger version of Fitchburg or Fall River in the way the city meets the hills.

Again, you can't just say "CT looks just like MA" or "CT doesn't look like MA." I understand that Southwestern CT is really suburban NYC now and the attitude reflects that. However, visually, that region looks like New England because that's how it was established.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts