Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

148 posts, read 137,457 times

Advertisements

We have narrowed down our choices to these towns based on affordability, commute time and school districts:
Beverly
Melrose
Malden
Medford
Wakefield

We currently have 2 kids in school they will be 6th and 3rd next year. They have both tested "gifted" so I know they will do well academically wherever they go. All of the school districts of the towns above are basically in the mediocre catagory (but I heard that mediocre schools in MA are better than "good" districts other places) so we are trying to figure out if we should rule any out based on the school environments.

I like the diversity of the Malden school district and it looks like all of their schools are newer. Beverly and Malden both have a "gifted program" but the Malden district program seems to be a little more comprehensive. Melrose seems like the community is very involved and it looks like they are considering adding a gifted program.

Anyone have 1st hand (recent) experience in any of these districts that could help us decide where to focus our home search efforts?? Or are these towns pretty much on equal ground and we should just focus on finding a house that meets our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 11:53 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,168 times
I have a friend with a child in the Medford school district. She says its an awful district... She really wants to move but can't sell her house.

Caveat - her child is a difficult child to place academically because she is 'gifted' but with a learning disability.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:01 PM

53 posts, read 177,762 times
I think I have heard that one of the M towns - I forget if it is Malden or Medford - has a gifted program. I think it is one of the very few in Massachusetts that does have non-democratic "intellectual seggregation" in the lower grades.

Don't flame me! I found out about it because I heard the term and I thought it was a funny way to put it.

My cousin grew up in Texas, and she said ALL school districts in Texas have these programs - you are tested in Kindergarden, and basically you go through your entire school life not knowing 1/3 or the other kids in school except through sports.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:56 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayleah View Post

We currently have 2 kids in school they will be 6th and 3rd next year. They have both tested "gifted" so I know they will do well academically wherever they go.

I just want to caution you against this type of justification. Find the school district that offers the most rigorous curriculum for your child. If you can find a district that does offer gifted programs for your children, I would suggest looking more seriously at that town. You should go to see them first hand and find out what the program entails.

Yes, your children can do well academically anywhere but if they are not properly challenged, they will not develop the skills they will need to succeed in high school and beyond. Colleges also will hold a high school that is known for it's rigor in higher regard and as such, can result in your child being accepted to a better college while receiving more financial awards. For children like yours, you need to look beyond the elementary level to the high school and see the types of offerings available for children with their level of intelligence. If you find an elementary school that fits the bill but the high school does not, you might want to consider private high school. Scholarships and financial aid are available for them as well.

Old 04-23-2010, 05:52 PM

93 posts, read 308,677 times

Last edited by nervous_in_new_england; 04-23-2010 at 07:20 PM..

Old 04-23-2010, 06:40 PM

304 posts, read 774,105 times
A new, private gifted school is starting in Melrose next year. Anova School: Massachusetts School for Science, Creativity, and Leadership
Melrose is also developing a gifted education program, where they have tested the kids for giftedness and will be grouping them together to do special programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts